• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Australian Military Ranks

ibilola

Inactive
Reaction score
Can someone clarify the rank structure in the Australian Armed Forces. Apparently a WO2 is equivalent to a CPO in the RAN and a Flight Sergeant in the RAAF, and all three are senior to a Staff Sergeant. Does that mean that CPOs and FSgts are warrant officers down under?

Can someone clarify the rank structure in the Australian Armed Forces. Apparently a WO2 is equivalent to a CPO in the RAN and a Flight Sergeant in the RAAF, and all three are senior to a Staff Sergeant. Does that mean that CPOs and FSgts are warrant officers down under?

This link might help you out........
http://www.awm.gov.au/atwar/structure/rank_comparative.htm
Cheers.......

Thanks

So CPOs and Flight Sergeants are WOs down under.

I always thought a Staff Sergeant equated to a Flight Sergeant and Chief Petty Officer, but obviously not in Australia!

There's a Canadian serving in the Aussie Army who frequents this board...I'm sure he might be able to help.

I'll find a rank chart and see. All 3 services have their own rank structure, ie a Sqn Ldr in the RAAF is a Maj in the CF.

Cheers,

Wes

Hope this answers all your questions.

Click to enlarge.

Cheers,

Wes

Thanks Wes

Weird how the Staff Sergeant doesn't equate to a Flight Sergeant even though both have identical rank insignia.

So a Flight Sergeant is classified as a warrant Officer???

The rank of SSGT in the Army is all but gone, and there is only a few left, as most are promoted to WO2. I only know of one SSGT, and back in 1995 I was getting the HDA (SSGT pay) for a SSGT position I was filling, and when the position was changed to SGT due to the rank re-structure, I was put back on SGT pay.

Cheers,

Wes

Wesley H. Allen said:
The rank of SSGT in the Army is all but gone, and there is only a few left, as most are promoted to WO2. I only know of one SSGT, and back in 1995 I was getting the HDA (SSGT pay) for a SSGT position I was filling, and when the position was changed to SGT due to the rank re-structure, I was put back on SGT pay.

Cheers,

Wes

Not very fair!

Back