• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AVOTP vs. Getting out and back in again

basrah

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all,
    after six years in the infantry, three tours, and a busted back, it is time to move on. I have accomplished pretty much everything I ever set out to do with this job and more, and feel that it is best to leave while on a high note to avoid becoming bitter.

Being from Victoria, I have decided to switch over to the navy with the idea being to eventually work my way up as a clearance diver.

The only problem with this is that I have broken service (2 years mo, 3 years RCR, 2 years out, 2.5 years back in PPCLI), and according to the BPSO one needs to complete 48 consecutive months on the current contract before the transfer can take place. What that would mean to me is sitting on my ass, waiting to go start a new job. I am not the kind of guy who enjoys sitting around doing nothing, so this is not up my alley at all.

My questions are:

-Since I have already been in and gotten out and got back in once, would this prevent me from doing it again?

-Has anyone ever heard of the 48 month consecutive period being waved?

-What trade would best set me up to apply for ships diver as my second job so I can continue on to clearance diver?

Thanks in advance.

basrah said:
-Has anyone ever heard of the 48 month consecutive period being waved?

VOLUNTARY OCCUPATION TRANSFER (VOT) WAIVERS
(NDHQ DGMP OTTAWA//DPGP 2-7 DPGP 071 061322 SEP 07)
Refs:  A. CFAO 11-12
B.  CFAO 10-1
1.  This direction is in advance of the pending occupation transfer DAOD.
2.  An understrength occupation is defined as a situation where an occupation is below PML and listed as a red occupation on the DPGP  occupation status matrix.
3.  Effective immediately, members applying for voluntary occupation transfer to an understrength occupation (only those considered red) may do so at any time.  The requirements for 48 months continuous service (36 months for LOTP) may be waived conditional to the recommendation of the losing and gaining occupation managers and DPGP 2.  Waivers will be approved on an individual basis by DPGP 2.  Members who have signed an SOU for a previous VOT and are still serving the minimum period of service associated with the SOU are ineligible to apply.
4.  Applicants must meet all other eligibility requirements for that occupation.  Waivers for these requirements will not be considered.
5.  Member’s unit will send waiver request to the gaining and losing occupation managers (formerly managing authorities).  With concurrence from both the gaining and losing occupation manager, a request for approval will be sent to DPGP 2.  Upon approval, the losing occupation manager will send the approval via message to the member’s unit.  This message will be included with the application to be forwarded to the WPSO.
6.  A request for a waiver must be approved prior to sending the occupation transfer application to the WPSO.
7.  Application for voluntary occupation transfer will be processed as they are received.
8.  Questions can be directed to Lt(N) H. Ryan, DPGP 2-7,613-992-4820 or by email to ryan.hm at forces.gc.ca.

Awesome, that answers the 48 months question. Do you know where I ca get a list of these understrength trades? Did a search on here and found nothing.

Anyone care to take a stab at the other questions?

I can't answer anything on the diver end, but I did want to point out that you are Infantry, so you can do the LOTP option vice the VOT.  Difference?  36 months vice 48 months.  The BPSO should have picked up on that one...maybe he/she didn't have their first cup of java when you were talking to them.  If you didn't get the waiver, you would be able to apply for an OT under LOTP at 36 months.

Get a printout of CFAO 11-12 at work and read it over. 

Eye In The Sky said:
I can't answer anything on the diver end, but I did want to point out that you are Infantry, so you can do the LOTP option vice the VOT.  Difference?  36 months vice 48 months.  The BPSO should have picked up on that one...maybe he/she didn't have their first cup of java when you were talking to them.  If you didn't get the waiver, you would be able to apply for an OT under LOTP at 36 months.

Get a printout of CFAO 11-12 at work and read it over.

No.

LOTP is for per. having between 3 and 6 years of service. The OP stated he had 6 years in the infantry and thus not elligible.

From CFAO 11-12 :

In addition to meeting the prerequisites contained in paragraph 15 of
this order, applicants for OT under this program must have more than three
but less than six years of continuous service on the date of application.

Seems to me that it is YOU who didnt have java this morning, not the BPSO.

lol, actually I think you both may have missed it! The reason that I am wondering about the 48 months is because it has to be consecutive, and my service is broken. I am currently on around 30 months of this engagement.

As for the LOTP, I am putting in for a Navy trade, so I think that would mean it is no longer a land transfer.... is that correct?

Thanks guys!

basrah said:
As for the LOTP, I am putting in for a Navy trade, so I think that would mean it is no longer a land transfer.... is that correct?

LOTP is not "land" in reference to the trade one applies for but the trade you apply from.

From CFAO 11-12 ....LOTP

Members who re-enrol must have three years, but not more than six
years of combined Regular Force service and meet the prerequisites outlined
in paragraphs 15 and 16 of this order. In addition, they must have served a
minimum of 12 months must be completed in the current engagement.

So with 5.5 years total RegF service, you are rapidly running out of time for LOTP.

CDN Aviator said:
LOTP is not "land" in reference to the trade one applies for but the trade you apply from.

From CFAO 11-12 ....LOTP

So with 5.5 years total RegF service, you are rapidly running out of time for LOTP.

Awesome, thanks a lot for that.

Just remember that 11-12 is heavily outdated and that there may be interim piolicies that i am not aware of.

Further to that, as stated in 11-12, whatever trade you want to apply for under LOTP, must be forecasting MOC training within 2 years of your application.

Looks like I the amount of Java I had was just about right...:)

The only amendment to CFA0 11-12 out there (that I am aware) of is ADM(HR-MIL) INSTRUCTION 05/05 ANNEX G APPENDIX 1 (link below) which only amends Para 17 & Annex C, Para 7 of the CFAO in question.

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/pd/pi-ip/05-05-ann-g1-eng.asp

Back