• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

B Bty 1 RCHA to get UAV's

Tactical UNMANNED air vehicle operations have always been an Army role.
and in most NATO armies TUAV are being operated by Gunners

We have done so since the late 60's wehn CL 89 drones were bing made by Canadair and bomdardier

The Royal Canadain Artillery School  and two trained Troops have the most tactical and technical experience for operating UAvs than any other organisation in the CF.

We will lead the way for the Army to follow, find the targets,report intelligence, engage targets and report battle damage.

We have done it this way since Artillery observers were put in ballons in WW1

UAVs will become part of the land force.We have expertise in these systems and will exploit there use in the very near future.
someone asked if there was more info as to which unit will operate them, this is still being discussed at levels above mine and your level.

but the army will have the capability

Scott937 said:
Intellegence, Survailence, Target Acquisition and Recce.

In the roughest form it is a unit which ties all these sensors together to provide a commander with a near real time picture of the battlespace or the AO.   Someone on this forum, who has more experience, please correct me and expand. Counter mortar radars, coyote RRUs, UAVs, Satelite imagery and stuff like that, so that there are mutiple "observers" of the same area.

The new silver fox TUAV will be small enough to use at the Coy level. So the Coy Comd will have enhance sight, in the near future the Coy comd may have near real time data links to all sensors on the battlefield.

ISTAR is a capability, not an organisation just as Command Support is a capability and not a unit- and this has been a bugbear of mine for some time.

PPCLI Guy said:
ISTAR is a capability, not an organisation just as Command Support is a capability and not a unit- and this has been a bugbear of mine for some time.

Understood, I was mixing the concept with the Unit- ISTAR Coy

Back