• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Being a "Grey man", or blending in on course - [Merged]

andrewvalentine83

Inactive
Reaction score
I‘ve been in the reserves for just over three years now, and I‘m almost done my component transfer, which means I‘ll be heading off to battleschool pretty soon. I‘m guessing it‘s going to be pretty tough to be the grey man, so I‘m looking for some advice on not getting noticed. I know basically to shut my mouth/don‘t act like I know everything, so I‘m looking for advice from people who‘ve done this already. I know there‘s a few other guys on the forum in the same boat as me, and I‘m sure we could all use some advice.

I was in cadets before joining the reserves (I know it‘s not the same level but somewhat similar). I was busted while adjusting my DEU belt to fit fit the brass end to match up with the clasp before being shown how to do it.

It‘s hard to stay in the grey area, but I think as long as your not in the "better than thou" attitude your good to go.

Dude, why be the grey man? Don‘t sit back and try to hide out, be noticed. Let your bosses see that your not a reserve plug and that your a good soldier so you dont get stuck doing crap jobs for a year or passed up for courses.

I can pretty much assure you that the guys who will harass you for being in the reserves are ALL ex reservsts themselves.

"Stupid reserves this, stupid reserves that, good for nothing, oh ya well i spent two years there."

I havent met one reg force infantry soldier that made a big deal about the reserves if they werent complete dummies. Being a grey man will still get you noticed and harassed by the plugs and ignored by the good soldiers you wanna be noticed by.
Just my 2 cents though

I disagree. BS is not the place to get noticed. You want to get noticed, wait until you get posted to BN and then show your stuff.

I read that too fast, missed the part about battle school i thought he ment being the grey man IN the battalion.
Dont show off in BS or they will try and use you for an example, just dont act completly retarded and clueless :)

I've always been led to believe its a fellow who simply doesnt stand out. Almost neutral, doesnt stand out for doing wrong, nor good.

I'd say its the best way to be

Sh0rtbUs said:
I've always been led to believe its a fellow who simply doesnt stand out. Almost neutral, doesnt stand out for doing wrong, nor good.
yup, never first, never last. Blends into the crowd, and doesn't draw attention to himself.

I'd say its the best way to be
yes and no. For your first while in a unit, and certainly while in Training, you want to be the grey man. Eyes and ears open, mouth shut, and learn. But, after a while, you're going to want to excell (else why bother getting dressed?). Once you've earned your way, and have shown that you can pull your weight, troops will respect your opinion, and that's when you're going to want to express it. No point in mouthng off until then, since you don't know enough about what's going on around you to make salient points.

Thats what I thought... someone who doesnt stand out. I was called a Grey Man during my weekly assessment today... What confused me, though, is that I was told I have lots of talent and that I'm doing things very well, and certain aspects I'm the best at most of the time, so I was wondering how this fit into the "grey man" definition. I was told that I should be more vocal to others about what they're doing wrong, ie: telling them to fix their berets and such...

There are some who think their measure of a soldier is how bold and loud he can be, whether or not he's the most skilled or knowledgeable of the group. The braggart or performer can be perceived as being more soldierly because of the attention he draws to himself, with his sometimes bullying ways being seen as attempts at "leadership" among his peers.

The grey man, on the other hand, is usually that soldier who seldom draws attention to himself, either by trying too hard to show his stuff to the staff, or by screwing things up and constantly needing correction. This attribute, by requiring less staff attention than others at either end of the spectrum, causes him to fade into the background if staff are not careful to properly watch for the development of and evaluate skills rather than performance art and failure to perform.

The grey man is often the one accruing the better test scores because he quietly studies, often passes practical tests on the first try because he was paying attention to the lectures, and can usually be found helping his less skilled peers without drawing attention to the fact that he has done so. Being the grey man isn't a bad thing, it's just recognized that the grey man might be missed in some assessment approaches and not necessarily get the recognition he should.

All that being said, some of the best officers and NCOs I have known were the grey men in their training years. They were too busy learning their profession to seek opportunities to show off their knowledge.

Good points sir,

Would you say however that that doesn't neccesarily mean the young soldier shouldn't volunteer when they get the opportunity? It's not really showing off so much as it is seeking out opportunities to apply skills learned, at least in my eyes.
First to volunteer, always was my thing even if it meant diving into a task where I needed help, nothing teaches quite like experience.

Though by all accounts I was a greyman by your definition.

Che said:
Good points sir,

Would you say however that that doesn't neccesarily mean the young soldier shouldn't volunteer when they get the opportunity?

Not at all, any soldier should volunteer for a task he feels confident he can perform and which will bring credit to himself for attempting it, learning from it and accepting the challenge. But that's not the same as trying to be the staff's best friend, watchdog and performing monkey.

The grey man is often the one accruing the better test scores because he quietly studies, often passes practical tests on the first try because he was paying attention to the lectures, and can usually be found helping his less skilled peers without drawing attention to the fact that he has done so. Being the grey man isn't a bad thing, it's just recognized that the grey man might be missed in some assessment approaches and not necessarily get the recognition he should.

I can relate to what you said. I do actually get good test scores and such... and when I do help people, its in the mess and not on the parade square (I keep hearing that we should stay quiet on the parade square), so the instructors dont end up seeing what I do.

who think their measure of a soldier is how bold and loud he can be, whether or not he's the most skilled or knowledgeable of the group
an all-too common trait, sadly. "Quiet professionals" are not always recognized, while the loudmouth can be (falsely) perceived as 'motivated' or 'aggressive'. Forgotten_Hero, strive for quiet competence, but speak up when you know shyte is going wrong.

causes him to fade into the background if staff are not careful to properly watch for the development of and evaluate skills rather than performance art and failure to perform...it's just recognized that the grey man might be missed in some assessment approaches and not necessarily get the recognition he should.
a pet peeve of mine, and one I watch for when teaching/assessing troops. On the other hand, too often the competent troops get nailed with all the tasks, because they get 'er done. Sometimes I fail to strike that balance.

First to volunteer, always was my thing
aaaaaaarrrrgh! NEVER volunteer! It's the first rule! What are ya? New? ;D Nuthin' wrong with a troop moving first, or taking on responsibility, it's how you learn. But watch you're not becoming this guy:
trying to be the staff's best friend, watchdog and performing monkey
Him I despise. Although, I hold those NCOs/Officers who fall for this lick-spittle's routine in even lower regard.

so the instructors dont end up seeing what I do
you might very well be surprised. Instructors see a lot more than you might think. And even if they do miss it, the troops don't. What's more important to you? The opinion of someone you may never see again, and probably won't remember you in 6 months, or those troops you will be working beside for years to come?

The opinion of someone you may never see again, and probably won't remember you in 6 months, or those troops you will be working beside for years to come?

The instructors are actually from my unit (BMQ is being conducted at my HQ) so I probably will be working with them.

Anyway, so, you guys would suggest that I pay attention to what others are doing wrong and then pull them aside after dismissal and tell them? Anything else?

Forgotten_Hero said:
Anyway, so, you guys would suggest that I pay attention to what others are doing wrong and then pull them aside after dismissal and tell them? Anything else?
well, don't get so caught up in finding what others are doing wrong that you miss your own screw-ups. Stay in your lane, troop. Focus on learning. Help whenever and where ever possible, but don't start coming on like you're the wise old sage, here. You're just as new as they are. You have two eyes, two ears, and one mouth. That should tell you something, right there.

My rule about finding the line between being the instructors petmonkey/loud agressive know it all and being the enthusiastic motivated individual is this...

If you are able to pick out who the loud mouth pet monkey is, chances are you're alright.
IF you're having trouble figuring out which one that guy is and you suspect yourself of having your head in an instructors browneye, you may wish to reconsider things.

Forgotten hero, at your level (which i take is relatively new) you don't need to be taking people aside and pointing out things they can improve on, your primary focus as cowboy said, should be on being competent yourself.

Forgotten hero, at your level (which i take is relatively new) you don't need to be taking people aside and pointing out things they can improve on, your primary focus as cowboy said, should be on being competent yourself.

I didnt mean being nit picky and pretending to be an expert on things... but more along the lines of, well, yesterday we were entering class with our weapons. A few people forgot to clear their C7s... I could have told them to clear them... I dont know why I didnt.

Or, the past weekend, after drill one of the guys in my section was doing a safety procedure right behind me... he forgot to unload the mag and, if the mag was loaded, he would probably have injured someone... I pointed that out. I felt this was especially important to point out... the instructors didnt see it because we were around the corner, so I pointed it out to him.

Meh, I think the only thing I'll change about me now is that I'll try to remind people to clear their weapons when they forget and such things. Cant hurt.

Forgotten_Hero

Think, live and breath   "team",   achieve professional competence and help your team mates do the same.

A helping word to the soldier beside you when they are struggling or forget something makes the "team" stronger.

Don't try to make yourself look good, try to make the team look good.

If you're keen it will show in the teams performance.

Don't piss others off with your enthusiasm though, that doesn't help the team either   ;)

Back