• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Benefits Cut...

Talked to the clerks today and they don't have any more info than I do. They don't even know if they are supposed start taking rations and quarters, just quarters, just sep expense, etc.

I also called Brookfield to ask if because I am awaiting my family selling the house and moving here, and I am going to have to start paying for a second residence (be it shacks or taking possession of my Q early) does that count as a Temp. Dual Residence. They have no idea because this just isn't an issue typically and they have nothing to go on.

I would suggest that anyone who is my particular situation, i.e. living in single quarters while awaiting their family joining them, to contact your brookfield rep and see if you can claim TDRA.

FM IRP Directive:
http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/pd/rel-rei/aps-paa-2011/chapter-chapitre-11-eng.asp#sec-11-02
11.2.09 Interim accommodations/HHT on IR

CF members (with the exception of members serving on Class “A” or Class “B” reserve service) proceeding unaccompanied to the new place of duty where Government rations and quarters are not available are entitled to be reimbursed for either:

an unaccompanied HHT as per Chapter 4 in order to secure semi-permanent accommodations; or
    ILM&M as per Chapter 5 while occupying interim accommodations, to a maximum of seven days in order to secure semi-permanent accommodation. In exceptional circumstances, CF members may be reimbursed interim accommodation expenses in excess of seven days to a maximum of 20 days to secure semi-permanent accommodation. BComd/BAdm's approval is required prior to reimbursement of extended benefits.

Note: Once semi-permanent accommodations are secured, ILM&M ceases and all further separation expenses will be reimbursed by the Base Orderly Room under Separation Allowance claim. ILM&M will cease on the day semi-permanent accommodation is occupied or the day any semi-permanent accommodation was available, whichever is earlier.

(TB amended, effective 1 September 2012)

Tcm621 said:
Talked to the clerks today and they don't have any more info than I do. They don't even know if they are supposed start taking rations and quarters, just quarters, just sep expense, etc.

I also called Brookfield to ask if because I am awaiting my family selling the house and moving here, and I am going to have to start paying for a second residence (be it shacks or taking possession of my Q early) does that count as a Temp. Dual Residence. They have no idea because this just isn't an issue typically and they have nothing to go on.

I would suggest that anyone who is my particular situation, i.e. living in single quarters while awaiting their family joining them, to contact your brookfield rep and see if you can claim TDRA.

Is signing for a 4man tent, and living behind your place of employment an option? 

***The previous comment was not entirely  :sarcasm:***

GnyHwy said:
Is signing for a 4man tent, and living behind your place of employment an option? 

***The previous comment was not entirely  :sarcasm:***

It's cold here. A give man attic rent would be nice. Get a cot, maybe an immersion heater for abulutions.

Accomodation is still covered for pers on IR.  So no need for tents.

milnews.ca said:
Gotta love the word completion function....

Damn auto correct. However giving me attic rent would be preferable to a 5 man artic tent.

Tcm621 said:
Damn auto correct. However giving me attic rent would be preferable to a 5 man artic tent.

Well, heat does rise so it should cut down on utilities too!!  :nod:

dapaterson said:
Accomodation is still covered for pers on IR.  So no need for tents.

I was referring to persons having 2 residents because they can't afford to take the hit.

GnyHwy said:
I was referring to persons having 2 residents because they can't afford to take the hit.

Seen that recently. One person I know of was posted and if they sold their house at the going rate they would be 80,000 underwater on their mortgage. They are attempting to rent it so they can afford to live in their new posting place.

There is a CANFORGEN put out in the last couple of days which clarifies the changes which come in effect tomorrow. Anyone seen it?

It does not clarify, it just repeats what has been said.

CANFORGEN 015/13 CMP 010/13 251825Z JAN 13
REMINDER - AMENDMENTS TO CBI 208.997 SEPARATION EXPENSE (SE) - EFF 1 FEB 13
UNCLASSIFIED

REFS: A. CANFORGEN 159/12
B. CANFORGEN 145/12

[list type=decimal]
[*]THIS CANFORGEN SERVES TO REMIND CANADIAN ARMED FORCES (CAF) PERSONNEL OF THE IMPLEMENTATION DATE FOR AMENDMENTS TO SEPARATION EXPENSE (SE) BENEFITS, AS ANNOUNCED AT REF A
[*]EFF 1 FEB 13 THE FOLLOWING SE BENEFITS ARE REPEALED:
  • MEALS (INCLUDING PUBLIC RATIONS) AND INCIDENTALS FOR REG F AND RES F MBRS SERVING ON CL C RES SVC, AND
  • ALL SE BENEFITS FOR RES F MBRS SERVING ON CL B RES SVC
[*]THIS MESSAGE IS TO RECEIVE WIDEST DISTR
[*]SIGNED BY RADM A. SMITH, CMP [/list]

Tcm621 said:
Seen that recently. One person I know of was posted and if they sold their house at the going rate they would be 80,000 underwater on their mortgage. They are attempting to rent it so they can afford to live in their new posting place.

There is a CANFORGEN put out in the last couple of days which clarifies the changes which come in effect tomorrow. Anyone seen it?

Tell that person that if he rents out his former home he will no longer be eligible for the benefits of the sale from Brookfield. The policy states you have to have been the last to occupy the dwelling for it not to be counted as a income property, to which there is no eligibilty for reimbursement on sale. He will also no longer be eligible for TDRA.

Yeah. I know but I think in this case it is the best of a Shitty situation to do it.

Hmmm. Maybe post Andy to a 'depressing-market-area', tell him he will be there for 4 years and then 6 months later, post him to an 'overly-inflated-market' area. I think the decision makers (not necessarily policy makers) need to experience this firsthand to fully comprehend the impact this has on people's lives.

Pat

Pat in Halifax said:
Hmmm. Maybe post Andy to a 'depressing-market-area', tell him he will be there for 4 years and then 6 months later, post him to an 'overly-inflated-market' area. I think the decision makers (not necessarily policy makers) need to experience this firsthand to fully comprehend the impact this has on people's lives.

Pat

Just saw an article on this the other day at work which outlined how the ombudsman's office is trying to get them to change the relocation policy. Makes me wonder, as I am just getting in, if PMQ's are the better option  over buying a house? I know they are their own headache but I certainly don't want to be out $80,000 on a mortgage.
Might take another ten years for anything to happen out of the ombudsman's office though....

"Military ombudsman says DND must rethink relocation policies for thousands of military personnel
Grievances rise over real estate losses and other costs of moving soldiers"
Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/Military+ombudsman+says+must+rethink+relocation+policies+thousands+military+personnel/7890233/story.html#ixzz2JlPNFlBl

horatio749 said:
Just saw an article on this the other day at work which outlined how the ombudsman's office is trying to get them to change the relocation policy. Makes me wonder, as I am just getting in, if PMQ's are the better option  over buying a house? I know they are their own headache but I certainly don't want to be out $80,000 on a mortgage.
Might take another ten years for anything to happen out of the ombudsman's office though....

"Military ombudsman says DND must rethink relocation policies for thousands of military personnel
Grievances rise over real estate losses and other costs of moving soldiers"
Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/Military+ombudsman+says+must+rethink+relocation+policies+thousands+military+personnel/7890233/story.html#ixzz2JlPNFlBl

That's *if* you're able to get into a PMQ.  Some bases have some rather long waiting lists for their Q's

horatio749 said:

Good luck getting a PMQ. There's a 6 month wait in Kingston for people with families, other bases are worse. They've been destroying PMQs as they are all old and rotten, but not rebuilding forcing military members into the gamble of home ownership.

The ombudsman's fight and the home equity non-protection is being covered in another thread:  http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/95326.0.html
However, the two topics definitely share a lot of interconnections.  In many cases, mbrs are being forced to choose between the pain of one failed policy or the pain of the other.

Interesting macro-view on compensation and benefits at the end of this article:
Tories chafe at call to cut danger pay
Bureaucrats urge reduction to troops in Kabul

Murray Brewster
Calgary Herald
15 Apr 2013

The Harper government is trying to navigate its way out of a political minefield, imploring a joint committee of federal officials to reverse a planned cut to danger pay for troops serving in Afghanistan.

Since the end of the combat mission in Kandahar almost two years ago, there has been a rising chorus of complaints among soldiers and veterans that the federal government has begun to nickel-and-dime them on benefits and program entitlements.

The military ombudsman recently fought a public battle with both National Defence and Treasury Board over the rejection of compensation claims for soldiers who lose thousands of dollars in home equity when forced to sell their homes because of transfers. 

There's also been criticism of how much the federal government spends to bury impoverished veterans.

All of these things have not gone unnoticed and could lead to an exodus, Dallaire warned.

"At a time when the serving veterans and their families are readjusting to a reasonably normal life in garrison, they are seeing the essential elements of quality of life programs being chopped piece by piece," he said in a statement.

"This will directly affect the operational effectiveness of the Forces, as it will cause significant attrition among soldiers still serving."

Back