• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

best shelter to sleep in

what do you think is the best shelter to sleep in is?

• Total voters

sgt.pongo

Inactive
Reaction score
so yeah i think that that my fav place to sleep would have to be in my room....but other then that i like to sleep underneath the wide open sky.....i ma looking fowward to seeing the results.

----sgt.pongo

Too bad you didn't add some parameters. Like is it -40 with 5 ft of snow. Pissing down cats and dogs with 35mph winds? Blast furnace hot and no breeze? Are you camping out or cat napping out on the FEBA? Each shelter, or lack of one, has it's advantages and disadvantages depending on the situation .

that is true

out of all of those (situations such as weather, temperature, wind, etc not counted) i wuold have to say my favourite would be a hooch

made properly, it can be both warm and comfortable

although i have never tried it personally, I think it would be great to have a hammock. would be quite an experience...ive seen reasonably priced full covered hammocks that are waterproof and quite comfortable

Yes very true, but then it would be a rhetorical question.

Oh i was just about to post... a hooch would be really hard to sleep in with 4 feet of snow on the ground.  :P

recceguy said:
Too bad you didn't add some parameters. Like is it -40 with 5 ft of snow. Pissing down cats and dogs with 35mph winds? Blast furnace hot and no breeze? Are you camping out or cat napping out on the FEBA? Each shelter, or lack of one, has it's advantages and disadvantages depending on the situation .

If your house on fire? ;D

I would have to say wide open sky, unless its raining or snowing. And for the -40 thing, i would still say ok. I would just want a half shelter or something under the sleeping bag.

i like the artic tent. i find it fairly easy to set up and it is good in all weather.

in the summer you can take out the artic liner

hooches are really hard for me to get in and out of. i am about 6'4. i dont mind sleeping in them if they are set up though.

Well I see that a lot of people like to sleep in a hooch. I didnt add what kind of weather becuase I really didn't care I only wanted to see what kind of shelters people like to sleep in. Yeah anyways tell people that the poll is here and to post their comments if they like. I am looking forward to seeing more and more replys.

--------sgt.pongo

No question, my jungle hammock is the nicest shelter I ever slept in, other than CFSME H-Huts (shudder).  Keeps you butt outa the snow, keeps the snow off your head, and mozzie netting for the summer....

CHIMO,  Kat

qor556 said:
Yes very true, but then it would be a rhetorical question.

Oh i was just about to post... a hooch would be really hard to sleep in with 4 feet of snow on the ground.   :P

not that hard did it 3 weeks ago improvised shelters part of a cold weather course

You're all nuts. I personally will take my nice warm bed in my heated barracks any day. That said, if I have to live out in the field, hooch is the way to go, unless you have an idiot for a hooch partner/fireteam partner...

Some improvised shelters I've made have been very comfortable in the winter! But nothing beats passing out against the side of your foxhole!

I worship the almighty bivy bag...Im talking shrine here. Best kit in my opinion...

Big Foot said:
You're all nuts. I personally will take my nice warm bed in my heated barracks any day. That said, if I have to live out in the field, hooch is the way to go, unless you have an idiot for a hooch partner/fireteam partner...

right right, heated barracks with mattress is the way to go indoors.

For ease of setup and functionality, I'll take my four man crew tent. Even though it's not listed. ;)

For ease of setup, I sleep in my SEV  ;D. But if I had to set one up (depending on tactical requirements) in warm weather would be a hooch or recce tent. In cold, would be the arctic tent.

Chimo!

Okay, for ease of setup, the back deck of my AVLB was the beez kneez.  Toasty warm in -40 with the submersion hydraulic flaps sealed, and the bridge made a dandy roof, too.

CHIMO,  Kat

okay so we all have way different oppinons now.hehe. I hasve never even heard of a bivvy bag or what ever you call it. can someone explian it to me? Are there any more types of shelters that would be good to sleep in that i dont know about?

----sgt.pongo

Back