• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

best way to show respect for overseas troops.

xbcr swan

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am an ex reserve member that never went on an overseas posting. Now that the CF is involved in an all out war, I feel guilty for not having to put myself in harms way for my country and fellow soldiers. Re-enlisting would not likely be a good option, so I thought maybe I could show my respect and appreciation at home. I fly the flag on my house and and have the usual maple leaf tattoo. My kids are all well aware of what the CF is doing and we have written to the troops at Christmas. What are recognized  ways to show support in Canada? The yellow ribbon? Is that American? Bumper stickers saying "the only good taliban is a dead taliban"!!? I wanted to do something that if a CF member saw it, they would understand that we care.
Thanks for your input.

The yellow ribbon bumper stickers probably originated in the US, though I'm not sure.  Was just down in S.Dakota and saw several.  Here in Edmonton I've seen many stickers similar to the ones in the US, but they have the words SUPPORT OUR TROOPS inside the ribbon w/ a red maple leaf.  I'm not sure where they're available from, but I'd suggest that one of those on your car would be appropriate.  I have to agree with Paracowboy that the motto "The only good Taliban..." really doesn't serve to support the troops.

BTW, on a slightly different note, some Jerk here in Edmonton has one of the yellow ribbon stickers on the back of his/her car with the word "support" crossed out in black marker and replaced with the word "withdraw". I find this reprehensible as it takes an item meant to encourage our soldiers, and instead demeans them.  If you happen to know this person, would you kindly let them know that--if I catch them--they will be a red mist and bone chips? :rage:

Swan,

If you've done all of things you've listed, It's clear you care.  I think it's also important to talk about it with family, friends and co-workers should you feel that strongly.  I believe there is also a red shirt campaign going on, might even be through cfpsa.

www.cfpsa.com    -    Canadian Forces Personnel Support Agency

Kudos to you.

kc

Back