• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bilingualism levels at defence HQ 'insufficient,' audit says

Edward Campbell

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
As if Gordon O'Connor doesn't have enough on his rookie plate, see this from today's Globe and Mail (reproduced under the fair dealing provisions of the Copyright Act):

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060207.wlang0207/BNStory/National/home
Bilingualism levels at defence HQ 'insufficient,' audit says
By TERRY WEBER

Tuesday, February 7, 2006
Posted at 10:34 AM EST

Globe and Mail Update

The level of bilingualism at Canada's National Defence headquarters is “insufficient,” with operational needs often taking priority over employee rights and language obligations, a new audit has found.

“Anglophones and francophones do not enjoy equal treatment when it comes to language of work at headquarters, and favourable working conditions are not there for francophones to allow them to use and express themselves in their language,” Tuesday's report by Canada's Commissioner of Official Languages said.

“Furthermore, francophones cannot always use their language in various situations.”

The findings were the result of an audit conducted at National Defence headquarters in which bilingual employees were asked to assess the use of both official languages.

A total of 1,883 surveys were completed for a response rate of 55 per cent.

Auditors then reviewed documentation provided by National Defence and Canadian Forces and conducted 82 interviews with civilian and military personnel.

The study found that, while senior management was demonstrating some leadership in the creation of a bilingual environment, a “significant gap” still exists between intent and actions taken by employees in various departments.

“In the great majority of sections, the work environment is not conducive to the use of French and English dominates even among French-speaking employees who tend to use their second language in their daily work, particularly when their supervisor is not comfortable using French,” the report said.

Generally, the commissioner's report said, the number of bilingual military personnel at headquarters who meet the language requirements of their positions is “insufficient.” The commissioner also said the commitment to increasing that number has “been slow to produce results.”

“The main reason given for this slowness is that operational needs take priority over the language rights and obligations of employees,” the report said.

Commissioner Dyane Adam also noted that language skills of military personnel in management, supervision, central and personal services positions “are still a major problem at headquarters.”

The situation among civilian personnel, however, is better.

To help address the shortcomings, the report makes 12 recommendations aimed at improving language skills of managers, increasing the proportion of Francophones in certain sections and requiring “awareness sessions” on bilingualism.

National Defence is now reviewing its language policies and intends to adopt a new official languages plan next year.

My emphasis added.

Operations takes precedence?  Quelle horreur!  Clearly Gen. Hillier has his priorities all back-asswards.  Let's hear it for Mme. Adam:  :nana:

"The main reason given for this slowness is that operational needs take priority over the language rights and obligations of employees,” the report said.
Really say it ain't so. 

I wonder if the reporter who wrote this was able to complete the article with a straight face?  ::)

I'm sure that Canada's Commissioner of Official Languages has no idea of what operational priorities entail

operational needs often taking priority over employee rights and language obligations

Exactly how is this a problem? ::)

Shaking head slowly.

Although it should be noted that in the Navy, you have a better chance at being promoted if you are functionally bi-lang vice being qualified to Command a warship.

Reminds me of the day some Capt at RMC came in to teh MIR with a complaint.  Apparently I had to take down the DIY condom dispensers I'd put up around the college dorms because the catchy slogans I had on them, such as " A condom a day keeps scrub boy away" were unilingual only.  He got a little miffed when I came back with the facts that the standard operational languages of the air and sea were English and that the standard operational language in NATO is English as well.  Not to mention the fact that Force Health Protection comes first as well.  He didn't buy it and my boss had to take aside for a walk and talk.  I didn't get to talk...

Priorities!!

MM

OK here goes  a total of 1888 something or other number of surveys were completed for a return rate of how much? 55 % so we are judging by a survey that clearly half the recipients didn't fill out.
Civilians in score better?
Was there a Gaff factor put in the equation because clearly a majority of the people hired in NDHQ come from the Ottawa-Hull region and would have grown up and been taught in a better Bi-lingual environment than say someone from NFLD or Lac St Jean.
I have been Trying to get on french course for years but I have often been denied because of "Operational Requirements"
IE "we can't let you go you will be gone to long and we have no one to spare to take your place."

Here is the report: http://www.ocol-clo.gc.ca/archives/sst_es/2005/dnd_mdn/dnd_mdn_e.htm#appendixA

To say that is a cultural disconnect between DND and COL is to put it mildly.  In fairness, COL is a one-note-wonder.  The Act and her mandate don't tell (allow?) her to account of reality but, as one can see by reading the report, she intends to stretch the established limits by e.g. insisting that the PSC (Public Service Commission) definitions of language requirements are too 'low' and that an intermediate level of bilingualism is insufficient for any level of supervisor.

FSTO's lament might become more than that: command of anything might require a high level of second language skill if Mme. Adam has her way.

Edit: spelling, twice!

This is what my tax money goes towards.....insignificant reports, and audits, and studies, and bleeding hearts, and lobby groups, and so forth.... (the list may go on for ever) I don't know...frustration is setting in .... ???  Nothing comes as a surprise anymore at the great lengths our government will travel to in order to spend our money on ensuring that everyone's feelings are taken into account. Instead of focusing on issues vital to the progress of this nation, or the vast majority of Canadians who have real problems, our tax money is spent keeping special interest groups at bay....for the time being at least. 

rant over

In my mind just another example of "how to lose a battle and win the war" Anyone for the terms of the Quebec Act ?

Surely this idiot reporter isn't suggesting that Second Language Training take a priority OVER operations commitments?!

I mean, having a country where everyone is speaking the same language(s) is all peachy and nice, but maybe once we've actually met our recruiting targets, and have enough people to go overseas, and proper training on all the new vehicles, and sort out all our various other problems, maybe then we can sit down and do the fluffy bunny crap.

I don't think its the reporter per se as it is the Commissioner of Official Languages.  I may be wrong but it just seems that the reporter is reporting the findings of the Commissioner.

combat_medic

Surely you had enough of the fluffy bunny crap on our PLQ a few years ago?  ;D

Regards,

J

Hey, don't get me wrong, I actually speak fluent French and think it's a valuable skill, but surely the military has higher priorities to address than making everyone sit in language classes.

And yes, the PLQ classroom shyte is more than enough fluffy bunny for a lifetime.

What impact would it have on the stats if they included languages other than French in the 'bilingual' catagory?

The well established 'Francophone' protective association would never let that occur. You would think after some of the issues raised in the Somalia Inquiry that they would have learned but no, we have a new government in power and a new feed bucket to get their noses into. Which come to think of it is maybe why this article appeared.

Kids, don't get wound up about some report from a Govt. agency that, by its very nature, must make stupid reports that grab headlines in order to justify their existence, and most importantly, their budget for the next year.
Anyone notice the timing on this......?

By George its right in time for the new FY

what a coinkidink

Back