• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bill C-55 does not include minimum $40,000 Earnings Loss Benefit

GreenBarret01

Inactive
Reaction score
Legislation introduced in the House of Commons on Nov. 17 does not include the minimum $40,000 introduced on Sep. 19 2010. There is no mention of it anywhere in the text of the first reading version.

http://www2.parl.gc.ca/Sites/LOP/LEGISINFO/index.asp?Language=E&Session=23&query=7144&List=toc

Is the minimum $40,000 already implemented in the system or was it a lie?
If it is going to implemented, how long will Vets have to wait for it while living in poverty?

Your profile reads:
If you'd spent any time in the CF you'd know that the abbreviation for Private is Pte.

If you've never been in the CF, there's no way you could be eligible for any sort of Canadian Veteran's Pension.
So what's the purpose of your post?

It is probable that the amount of the allowance will be set by Regulation vice Legislation - that means it's easier to amend the amount in the future to keep pace with inflation.  Regulatiosn can be changed by Treasury Board as an administrative process.  Otherwise, any change would have to be made by changing the law - a much more difficult and oneroud procedure.

First of all, the post is about the promised minimum $40,000 and the injured Vets who need it. Not me!
I don't see why you would attack me instead of contributing to help the Vets understand everything.
I was a Private 14 years ago for 3 months before I injured my leg. I have since healed and am gainfully employed.

All I want is to understand what happened to the promise. It will also be useful to others who read.
It doesn't have to be about me. Not everyone is selfish.

I can't believe you asked what the purpose of the post just cuz I typed Pvt vs Pte.

I simply asked the purpose of the question, since it's not unheard of to get muck-raking media types looking for a scandalous quote.

Questioning ones authenticity and motive for posting a question is not remotely an "attack," which, by the way is against site guidelines  ;)

IF I was remotely interested in you personally, I'd focus on your literacy (Pte, not Pvt and green beret, not green berret) and your credibility (3 months service, 14 years ago, would not have gotten you out of recruit training, yet you claim to be a "Vet"). Again, however, I was merely curious if this were a media inquiry.

I hope you don't reply with "scandalous quotes" when posts are not from "muck-raking media types". One thing you got right. I am not very literate! I can't spell.
Training+ 3 months as Pte + hospitalization + sick leave = med release
I am not the media. I was interested because I understand others pain.
I hope you won't ask me to prove that I have a scar on my leg.

The reason to $40,000 is not mentioned in there is because the $40,000 comes under the Earning Loss Benefit program, and Not Pension Act.

The other amount listed in the Bill $12000 is listed cause it's a modification to the Schedule II of the Pension Act, Permanent Impairment Allowance 

GreenBarret01: I thank you for clarifying your service. Please be aware that we frequently have fakers coming onto this site, so we tend to notice inconsistencies and errors, even small ones, in their posts. This is why you were challenged.

dapaterson said:
It is probable that the amount of the allowance will be set by Regulation vice Legislation - that means it's easier to amend the amount in the future to keep pace with inflation.  Regulatiosn can be changed by Treasury Board as an administrative process.  Otherwise, any change would have to be made by changing the law - a much more difficult and oneroud procedure.

Bin-Rat said:
The reason to $40,000 is not mentioned in there is because the $40,000 comes under the Earning Loss Benefit program, and Not Pension Act.

The other amount listed in the Bill $12000 is listed cause it's a modification to the Schedule II of the Pension Act, Permanent Impairment Allowance

Any ideas where regulation concerning the ELB might be posted online. It would be nice to follow it.

Google "The Canada Gazette".  All federal regulations are published in it.

NEW IMPLEMENTATION OF THE NVC

VVi 06 Jan 2011 db
Information for Canadian Forces Our Veterans Matter

Transitioning from the military can be an adjustment for you and your family. We’re here to help when and where you need us.

The Government of Canada has recently increased support for modern-day Veterans in need of services and care adapted to their reality.

These changes build on the existing support available through the New Veterans Charter such as rehabilitation services, payment to replace lost income, health care benefits and practical help finding a job.

Financial Support – Much more than a lump-sum payment

New financial measures to help seriously injured modern-day Veterans include:

* Earnings Loss Benefit – $40,000 or 75% of the Veteran’s at-release military salary while in rehabilitation
    * Permanent Impairment Allowance – Improved access to a monthly allowance up to $1,609 for life for more seriously injured Veterans
    * Permanent Impairment Allowance Supplement – Additional supplement of $1,000 per month for the most seriously injured Veterans who are unable to work at full potential

With these measures, the most seriously injured Veterans will receive a minimum annual income of $58,000.

A Legacy of Care

The Department of National Defence (DND) and Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) are working together to improve the care available to injured soldiers and their families and address their needs in a timely, consistent and meaningful way.

The Government of Canada is spending $52.5 million over five years to establish a "legacy of care" centered around five new initiatives to care for injured soldiers, sailors, airmen and airwomen.

Support from DND:

* Barrier-Free Transitional Accommodations – For injured soldiers undergoing treatment at a Canadian Forces rehabilitation centre
    * Support Services – Access to wheelchair accessible transportation, caregiver support, child care, and the delivery of medical supplies and groceries during rehabilitation
    * Attendant Care Benefit – Up to $100 per day for family or close friends who leave their job to provide care for the ill or injured soldier
    * Spousal Education Upgrade Program – Up to $20,000 to spouses or dependents for education

Support from VAC:

* Enhanced Case Management – 20 extra case managers to allow for more individualized support

ALS

The Government of Canada has also taken action to improve and speed up support for Veterans suffering from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)—also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease.

http://www.veteranvoice.info/bulletinboard.htm
http://www.veterans.gc.ca/general/sub.cfm?source=information-canadian-forces

Back