• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C3 Howitzer Replacement

It seems that the Brits can still make their procurement system work at speed when they want to.

🍻
I think the Brits are waking up to the idea that the key to peace is a strong military, and help is an ocean away.

It seems that the Brits can still make their procurement system work at speed when they want to.

🍻
In fairness (and you know I am never anything if not fair :LOL: ) wasn't that almost exactly the way that the RRCA ended up with the M777 ordnance in 2005/2006?

A UOR for a small number (6) capable of launching Excalibur, all acquired through the FMS process.

The remainder of the fleet of 37 was acquired ca 2009?

Nothing to stop us replicating past practice is there?

In fairness (and you know I am never anything if not fair :LOL: ) wasn't that almost exactly the way that the RRCA ended up with the M777 ordnance in 2005/2006?

A UOR for a small number (6) capable of launching Excalibur, all acquired through the FMS process.

No, but it’s a terrible way to run a railroad.

Not quite. The UOR was for 12 guns and 30 Excalibur with the first six guns and rounds on a first FMS and the second six guns on anaother FMS within a year. Essentially the first FMS bought four guns to deploy and 2 for training on but it was quickly discovered that the scope of operations needed six guns in theatre and six guns for training. (I'll leave aside the two guns that ended up getting bent in theatre and for which we leased two replacements for a year and a bit while they were repaired).

The remaining 25 came by way of a funded project contract near the end of 2008 and incorporated the prior twelve guns into a CF managed support system.

I'd be reluctant to say that there is "nothing to stop us replicating past practice" as there are differences as to how UORs and projects are handled. There're folks on line here who have a much better understanding of the details of these processes than I, but in short, I don't think that there is a guarantee that you end up with the same system under the project as you did under the UOR.

With respect to the M777 itself, I'm one of the group that believes that 12 to 20 M777s would have been enough for the Army and that what we really needed was 18 to 30 of something like the predecessor to Archer to support the mech battalions. There are a number of reasons why that didn't happen at the time not the least of which being that the artillery was bloody happy just to get anything to replace the lost M109s and troublesome C3s and LG1s.

🍻

Great idea ;)

"This my friends is a German Frigate (type F123) outfitted with the turret of the Panzerhaubitze 2000 ("tank howitzer 2000"), a 155mm L52 artillery gun."

336459530_1249518585656945_3104080025567497325_n.jpg

Great idea ;)

"This my friends is a German Frigate (type F123) outfitted with the turret of the Panzerhaubitze 2000 ("tank howitzer 2000"), a 155mm L52 artillery gun."

April 1st prank?

Great idea ;)

I would say so.

Nobody uses charge bags on a warship…if you to keep living.

Reactions: ueo
I remember it was an actual trial but the Army and Navy were greatly discouraged at the rusting and maintenance burden after a short time at Sea. Imagine.

Non-boat people do not comprehend the effect of the salt water environment.
I lived on the lakeshore of Lake Erie for five years with a lot of water spray on the house and found it to be little problem. Then I rented a house on the eastern shore of O'ahu for a short time and found out what ocean spray could do. Quite a difference.

:oops:

I live in Winnipeg. We know what salt does but probably not to the extent that people who live on the salt water areas.
I lived in Brandon for more decades than I'd like to admit. They used a calcium something/sand mixture there that was nothing like the salt they use down here in southwestern Ontario. Much of the time our roads out west were hard packed (to concrete level) snow with a mixture of sand in it to give traction. It actually worked pretty well. Metal corrosion was a concern but not a super problem. I never undercoated there and had zero rust. Down east (or middle) here where temperatures are warmer, whenever it snows they throw a ton of rock salt on the roads that turns everything into highly corrosive slush and spray. I remember when I was a kid growing up any car over three years old would look like Swiss cheese. New cars have much better rust protection built in and I now undercoat religiously and so far so good but I still see the occasional rusty wagon running around here. Luckily we don't get much snow where I am now and the roads are almost always bare with only a handful of snowy days but still, by springtime the roads are covered by a fine white powdery salt layer until it gets washed down the drains.

That said, its seasonal. On the sea shore it's a year round thing.

🍻

Great idea ;)

It didn't work. Yes about the maintenance and the corrosion. But also the mounting was breaking the ship.

Back