• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Calgary bride will marry stranger from radio contest

ENGINEERS WIFE

Inactive
Reaction score
Calgary bride will marry stranger from radio contest
Updated Wed. Oct. 29 2008 10:53 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

A Calgary woman who has agreed to marry a man she has never met as part of a radio station contest will go through with the wedding despite an ex-boyfriend's pleas to marry him instead.

The woman, known only as Monday's Bride, will marry a man she calls Monday's Groom on Thursday at the Atco Centre at Canada Olympic Park.

The wedding was organized by Calgary radio station Energy 101.5 as part of its Two Strangers and a Wedding contest. The goal was to find two people who would agree to meet over the airwaves and get married, without ever seeing each other.

The pair was chosen from nearly 100 applicants after a series of personality and psychological tests and feedback from listeners.

The two have gotten to know each other on one "date," during which they could speak but could not see each other.

When the woman's ex-boyfriend, who is calling himself Forever Groom, got wind of the pending marriage, he proposed to Monday's Bride, who broke up with him after four years together because he wasn't prepared to get married.

"Yesterday I saw the billboard proposal by Forever Groom," the bride wrote Tuesday in her blog on the radio station's website. "I want to thank him for sweetly and courageously inviting me to accept his proposal rather than pressuring me to do so. I remain committed to Two Strangers and a Wedding and will follow both my heart and my head on that lovely day."

Forever Groom had set up a billboard in Calgary and established a website, iheartmondaybride.ca, to plead his case.

But on Sunday, Forever Groom wrote a message to Monday's Bride saying he would support her choice if she decided on another mate.

"In the end, if you really want to be with someone else Monday, I will do my best to stand by your decision," Forever Groom wrote. "Life is certainly not easy is it."

Rob Mise, Energy 101.5's station manager, said the contest was not a stunt, but rather an attempt to help two people who had exhausted other avenues to find love.

"This is a really cool experiment," Wise said Monday on CTV's Canada AM. "It's not a contest, it's not a promotion, we're not giving away tickets to a show. It's the real thing. It's a legal marriage in Alberta and it's going to happen this Thursday morning."

After the wedding, the couple will head to Australia for their honeymoon and will receive new cars with free one-year leases when they return.

That is crazy!!  The things people will do is amazing.  I would like a new car too, but, I will do it the old fashioned way.....buy it!!!!  ::)

I would assuem both people are doing it for the free trip and the car, but who knows, maybe love will prevail!  :-*  ::)

Back