• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Can I join with mental health history?

dylreming

Reaction score
I'm going into grade 12 and interested in the ROTP nursing program for Nursing Officer and I have a question about my eligibility.

I have been hospitalized once (voluntary) for mental health reasons last year. I stayed in the psychiatric ward for only 3 days and I was also misdiagnosed with bipolar 2 which just turned out to be depression. However, my psychiatrist has told me there is no way of clearing this misdiagnosis from my file and I believe it is still on my medical record.

I no longer have any mental health issues and I know I can serve without it causing any problems. I have been on antidepressants, mood stabilizers, and antipsychotics but am no longer on any medications for 6 months now. I see a psychologist in addition to a psychiatrist but I don't know if that's relevent.

My question is, can this interfere with my application? I can't find any information on the forces website regarding this.

Thats awesome you have a plan so young in your life.

So, the military can be a really depressing and traumatic environment. Even when people thibk they're fine, stuff sometimes complex out.

Medical staff especially are exposed to traumatic events and can suffer vicarious injuries on the mental health side.

The questions you're asking are best answered by recruiters and medical staff at a recruiting center. Your best plan is to monitor your health insuring you're being taken care of properly, keep physically fit, do the best you can in school and once your graduate go to the recruiting office and apply.

Nobody here can or will give you as complete an answer as you want. That being said, the best advice is complete honesty and openness during the recruiting process. Your mental health is not something to mess about with, and keeping it secret is probably the worst thing you could do. As with all things, it will be important for you to have an alternate plan for yourself.

Back