• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Canadian Armed Forces creates new officer occupation for Physician Assistants"

. . . There are 171 PAs in the CAF . . .

If there are 171 establishment positions for PAs as NCMs, how many positions will there be for officers?  Will only those current positions that can be identified as "hard clinical" or independent duty (ships, recruiting centres, Alert, etc) be converted to officer or is the medical world getting a bunch of PYs to accommodate the commissioning of all PAs?

Blackadder1916 said:
If there are 171 establishment positions for PAs as NCMs, how many positions will there be for officers?  Will only those current positions that can be identified as "hard clinical" or independent duty (ships, recruiting centres, Alert, etc) be converted to officer or is the medical world getting a bunch of PYs to accommodate the commissioning of all PAs?

All PAs in the CF will now be Officers. They are just phasing the commissioning/promotion, starting with the CWOs (and MWOs next year, WOs in 2019) to keep the merit listing from getting all messed up (or so I was told).

Then there is me and a few others they haven't figured out yet...since the MOSID actually doesn't exist in the P Res per se.  I might see my commission as my second retirement present or might get it this year when I get my crown back, lol.

MM

There will be 105 PA officers positions. All Reg F.

MWO will commission as Capt. Currently serving WO will be granted equivalent Lt E pay and seniority. (If selected, it is not automatic)

New PA will become Lt, once CAPA certified, the Jan following the completion of thier course.

ModlrMike said:
Unlikely. Equilibrium doesn't occur until max incentive Major.

Full equilibrium isn't necessary, since the benefits and pension would be thought of as well; for ex, any MO who can do ER or hospitalist is not at equilibrium in the CAF, but docs fund their own retirement civi-side. So a CAF pension is part of the compensation consideration for anyone deciding to join/stay.

But it does have to be within the ballpark of civi. You can undercut the civi salary somewhat, but not too much.

They're going to do something for us Molitia types too - had to sign my election awhile back. 

MM

Have there been any talks of opening up the PA occupation to non-medtechs? I know of a few nurses out there (myself included) who have considered getting out to get our Masters to be NPs, but if we had the opportunity to do the PA course there may be incentive to stay in.

That's a good question. I wonder if it would be a matter of a VOT and PLAR (plus the delta in course load)?

JRBond said:
Have there been any talks of opening up the PA occupation to non-medtechs? I know of a few nurses out there (myself included) who have considered getting out to get our Masters to be NPs, but if we had the opportunity to do the PA course there may be incentive to stay in.

Yes, it's been discussed, and no, not happening in the near future. PA wil stay a NCO fed trade for the next couple yrs, until the Med Tech trade is sorted and stabilized, and the program is parcelled out to civilian faculty.

Back