• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Surface Combatant RFQ

Unions, they are not all bad but the ones I have had contact with typically the members develop an extremely entitled attitude. Normally so bad that they do not care one bit about the company paying their wages and even seem to be happy to hurt the company any chance they get.
When I was working in aerospace, I had a critical shortage on one of the aircraft they were building, I flew to the vendor picked up the part and hand walked it through the QA process and hand delivered it to the line. Two hours later, I got a call from the line supervisor wanting to know where his part was, I told him I delivered it to the line earlier. I went down to the line and looked around, I found the part hidden, so the worker could install it on overtime.

I lost all respect for the local union when that happened.

Out here the yards were dependent on offshore repair work so I suspect that attitude would not last long as it would threaten everyone's livelihood.
In my experience that would not matter. The attitudes I have witnessed at some places are more like what Photopilot mentioned. No thought what so ever for the long term. They seem to think their acts of sabotage or insubordination and justified because the company did or didn't do something or another. Very entitled attitudes.

I believe a lot of it comes from the rhetoric the union spouts. They say stuff like "we fight for what you deserve". No matter how good things are the union has to find things to fight for and broadcast their efforts to their members or the members start to talk about changing unions or decertifying.

I remember one conversation I had with the wife of a postal worker during a strike. I think this was the 2011 strike. She said they were fighting for fair treatment, that they needed to be paid a decent wage. I think her husband was making $36/hr and had 10 weeks paid holidays. I pointed out that anybody in the town would trade places with him in a heart beat. Most people I knew in good jobs were $11-16/hr with never more than 4 weeks holidays and the vast majority only 2 weeks. She was quite upset that I had the nerve to say such a thing and I didn't understand the problem.

In my experience that would not matter. The attitudes I have witnessed at some places are more like what Photopilot mentioned. No thought what so ever for the long term. They seem to think their acts of sabotage or insubordination and justified because the company did or didn't do something or another. Very entitled attitudes.

I believe a lot of it comes from the rhetoric the union spouts. They say stuff like "we fight for what you deserve". No matter how good things are the union has to find things to fight for and broadcast their efforts to their members or the members start to talk about changing unions or decertifying.

I remember one conversation I had with the wife of a postal worker during a strike. I think this was the 2011 strike. She said they were fighting for fair treatment, that they needed to be paid a decent wage. I think her husband was making $36/hr and had 10 weeks paid holidays. I pointed out that anybody in the town would trade places with him in a heart beat. Most people I knew in good jobs were $11-16/hr with never more than 4 weeks holidays and the vast majority only 2 weeks. She was quite upset that I had the nerve to say such a thing and I didn't understand the problem.
A friend of mine worked the Halifax Postal sorting station on Almon street one Summer. He and the crew had just settled into an overnight shift when the union rep came in and shut things down. It so happened that a single bulb of a four bulb lighting fixture had burned out and in a football field sized room that constituted an unsafe work environment. The Shift got to go home with a full days pay until another union brother replaced the bulb.

I now do security at the drydock and since we also provide first aid, I am always listening to their radio chatter and also opening Stores on the evening shift. My general sense is a lot of pride in their work and trying to do a good job quickly. Even after being shut down over a strike by the tugboaters, there was no nasty business. If there are issues, it seems mostly between each other. It's generally a busy yard with up to 5 vessels at a time being repaired and seems to be a shortage of workers as many are pulling a lot of shifts. I don't see as much of the really stupid stuff anymore. The pulp and sawmill mills used to have a lot of that, but with the loss of so many of them, there is a lot less of the union swinging it's dick. I was a member of PSAC, they certainly had their stupid moments, but then so did management. But I would not want to work for a large organization without union support, as they can crush you without even meaning to. My sister works for a large non-union company and is supposed to get all sorts of benefits and time off, but finds it very hard to take that time off because she worries about losing her job. As for the posties, I find the outside workers are generally a happy bunch, it's the inside workers who seem to be always complaining.

I did con
I now do security at the drydock and since we also provide first aid, I am always listening to their radio chatter and also opening Stores on the evening shift. My general sense is a lot of pride in their work and trying to do a good job quickly. Even after being shut down over a strike by the tugboaters, there was no nasty business. If there are issues, it seems mostly between each other. It's generally a busy yard with up to 5 vessels at a time being repaired and seems to be a shortage of workers as many are pulling a lot of shifts. I don't see as much of the really stupid stuff anymore. The pulp and sawmill mills used to have a lot of that, but with the loss of so many of them, there is a lot less of the union swinging it's dick. I was a member of PSAC, they certainly had their stupid moments, but then so did management. But I would not want to work for a large organization without union support, as they can crush you without even meaning to. My sister works for a large non-union company and is supposed to get all sorts of benefits and time off, but finds it very hard to take that time off because she worries about losing her job. As for the posties, I find the outside workers are generally a happy bunch, it's the inside workers who seem to be always complaining.
I did contract Security at the old Winnipeg GPO on Graham. The outside workers by and large were great people to deal with the inside workers varied from person to person.
And the management were ...just FN weird!
Quite frankly a lot of them wouldn't be able function in a similar position in either the private sector or the Government side for that matter.

I think there are tons of union people who are excellent. I know some are awful. The highly entitled attitude is not an absolute if you work in a union but I have not seen it outside a union at all. Suffolkowners original question about the sabotage
what is it that drives all this? Are the shipbuilders just that bad of employers? Is this a problem everywhere or more an Anglo-American problem (CAUKUS)?
Sometimes I think its to prolong the job but some times it could be because the workers were upset about something. A friend of mine worked on the Confederation Bridge as an Iron worker. The union steward shut down production one night on overtime it seems the contract stated overtime shifts the company had to provide supper. Well he objected to the hamburgers provided and said no one works till they bring steaks for everyone. Steaks were found and work started just in time for the overtime shift to be completed.

The highly entitled attitude is not an absolute if you work in a union but I have not seen it outside a union at all.
Is the CAF unionized? Because I have seen it in the CAF. (Mostly at very senior levels)

It is said that there is an exception to every rule, I have not been exposed to high level CAF persons so I cannot comment.

But will those silos be filled ?
After all it it the British who invented the phrase, "fitted for but not with."

Twin 120mm AMOS mortar turret....my 'old' solution from 2012 brought back to life.

Still think it needs a five inch gun.
Not needed, only because you need to look at the RN fleet in totality. The Type 26 already have that armamement which provides a very specific capability. The Type 31 has better AAW gun armament, because it has less AAW missile armament than the Type 26. And its mission set is very different as well.

Not needed, only because you need to look at the RN fleet in totality. The Type 26 already have that armamement which provides a very specific capability. The Type 31 has better AAW gun armament, because it has less AAW missile armament than the Type 26. And its mission set is very different as well.
Well that just changed with the 32 mk42 VLS.

The 127/5" might as well be put on the River Class OPVs these days. Small boat. Cheap. Small crew. ..... Just the thing for cruising islands, impressing the natives, sailing up the Yangtze.

Back