• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

cap badges

who on this site collects cap badges

• Total voters

luke

Inactive
Reaction score
hello .....................
     i was wondering who is a collector. and why they started collecting cap badges.and how the started collecting. I'm a collector and I wanted to know why other people started collecting.
        by the why dose any know were i can find Canadian  cap badge reference books

You may find my site useful as a reference for cap badges, though it is badly in need of an update and reorganization.

www.canadiansoldiers.com

For reference books, try MARWAY MILITARIA in Winnipeg, Manitoba, or BUNKER TO BUNKER BOOKS in Calgary, Alberta. Also go online to www.servicepub.com and they have some interesting books as well.  Including a good book on World War One cap badges, written by Joseph Harper, the father of the current Leader of the Opposition, Stephen Harper.  Yep, his dad was a big CEF cap badge collector and wrote a book on the subject.

Authors to search for include Daniel Mazeas, who wrote two volumes on Canadian cap badges, as well as Roy Thompson.  Ebay often has old books for sale, so keep trying there also.

Good luck.

Well I am a collector, some calll us pack rats. My family on both sides goes back to WWI in the forces. Mom and dad both were in the RCAF in WWII.

I started when I got my ham radio licence. Picked up a old Canadian #19 set and restored it. Then a C42 set. Actually used them on the air.   Then I went to my first militaria show. Found a few signals related items bought them and then I was hooked.

From a few cap badges it has grown over the years to anything related to signals in the Canadian Forces. It includes all branches army,navy and airforce.

I really enjoy putting the collection on display at militaria shows and have done a few shows for legions. I have met so many nice people and learned so much by talking to vet's and serving members of the forces and just other collectors.

I find the biggest question now is which muesum to leave my collection to. I know the C&E muesum would really like some of the rare items I have and the National War Muesum has also expressed interest in some of my pieces but I would like to see it kept together.

One thing is for sure, there is always one more patch, badge, uniform or book you just have to have and that makes it interesting.

:cdn:

I am also a collector and have been since I was a kid. I got started when a WW1 vet gave me his medals, cap badge and hate belt because nobody in his family was interested. Hooked for life! It's been over 35 years and I am still a collector. Just be careful, there are sharks out there and it's easy to get bit. My best advise is to spend some money on reference books and bookmark the great sites out there such as canadiansoldiers.com. A dollar well spent on reference can save you hundreds or more down the line. And as in any hobby, have fun!  ;D

Peter

Both my trades were under the Jimmy, so that's the only one I've got.  I do know some guys that kept badges from each of the Regiments they were attached to, and thats kosher, just I never did.

Back