• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CBC: Musharraf defends war effort, downplays Canadian losses

ccownsu

Inactive
Reaction score
Okay, maybe I'll give you a hand since you didn't get anything right - see how it's done.  PS:  Leave "disses" in the schoolyard

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2006/09/26/musharraf-interview.html

Musharraf defends war effort, downplays Canadian losses
Last Updated Tue, 26 Sep 2006 22:27:08 EDT
CBC News
Pakistan's President Pervez Musharraf told CBC Tuesday that the Canadian military casualties from fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan have been insubstantial compared with those suffered by Pakistan.

Pakistan's President Pervez Musharraf told CBC's Carol Off on Tuesday that his government is doing all it can to root out the Taliban and al-Qaeda, and that Pakistani military losses have been much more substantial than those suffered by Canada. (CBC) Musharraf reacted angrily to the question of whether his government was doing enough to root out the Taliban and al-Qaeda and their sympathizers.

"We have suffered 500 casualties," he said. "Canadians may have suffered four or five."

Musharraf said any nation that enters a war-torn area must be prepared to suffer casualties or get out of the operation.

"You suffer two dead and you cry and shout all around the place that there are coffins," he said. "Well, we have had 500 coffins."

Since deploying in Afghanistan in 2001, 36 Canadian troops and one diplomat have been killed.

'In the line of fire'

Musharraf made his comments in an interview from New York, where he was promoting his memoir titled In the Line of Fire.

He dismissed the suggestion that Canadian soldiers could help alongside the Pakistani military in his country, made by Defence Minister Gordon O'Connor recently.

"Nobody comes on our side," he said. "I would not like to challenge the Canadian troops, but I can assure you, our troops are more effective and we have more experience at war, and this shows a lack of trust in Pakistan."

Musharraf alleged in an interview that aired on 60 Minutes on Sunday that American officials had threatened to bomb Pakistan back to the Stone Age unless it assisted with the U.S.-led war on terror after the Sept. 11 attacks.

President George W. Bush, during a press conference with Musharraf, said he was unaware of any such threat.

Musharraf supported the Taliban when they arose in the 1990s in Afghanistan, claiming they brought much-needed stability to a region ravaged by decades of conflict.

Earlier this month, his government signed a peace agreement with tribal leaders in the northwest region of Waziristan after years of fighting.

Critics have expressed concern that the deal would only further facilitate cross-border raids that the Afghan government has heavily criticized.

Musharraf and Afghan President Hamid Karzai will meet with Bush on Wednesday.

Normally, you should put some commentary here - journalists like it when you talk about what they've reported.  It tends to justify cutting and pasting their work and brings this page in line with the spirit of the Copyright Act

cbc

this has to be taken out of context from the whole speech....

Trinity said:
cbc

this has to be taken out of context from the whole speech....

Afraid not, padre.

Posted while thinking about all that fair dealings legal mumbo jumbo: http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2006/09/26/musharraf-interview.html

Basically he didn't say anything we have not said....in combat there are casualties. From the sounds of the clip, he was dissing the NDP more the the CF, even though he didn't go there.

Yup, although he has made a few high profile rants lately.  I think he is frustrated that nobody seems to give him credit for the fact that he walks a tighter line than Harper....

Now I might be taking this out of context but it seems to me if he's going to argue the effectiveness of our troops being less than his then he shouldn't be admitting that over 500 of his have been killed. Sure it's not simple matter and there are many factors to consider, but the numbers tend to demonstrate that our soldier's tactics and training are much more superior to theirs...although they most likely have many more troops in "theater".

More combat equates to more deaths.  Who know's what conditions his troops died in.  Either way to take our guys lightly or theirs for that matter is foolhardy for both sides.  Not that we're gonna go at it.  Their our "allies" for now anyway.

Mush or whatever his name is a dictator.  Everyone must remember that.  Also, he is doing interviews in order to sell his book, not defend Pakistan.  Reality is that insurgents are crossing the border from Pakistan into Afghanistan.  Until this stops, there will be no end to the suicide bombings (where do you think that these suicide bombers are receiving their "religious" instruction?) or insurgents.
Mush needs to be educated on the realities of what is going on in.  Remember, he is a dictator that is not used to tough questioning by the media.  He gave direct answers (which I have to admit was refreshing from a politician/dictator) and put his foot in his mouth when he mistakenly stated the amount of soldiers we lost.  Perhaps the Pakistan Embassy in Canada should have briefed their el dictator about the correct numbers.  Oh ya, that's right, he's a dictator and who dare question el presidente?

Don't forget that Pakistan lost people when the Russians were in Afghanistan. While they supported the Taliban and recognized the government (one of the few), there were pretty serious border clashes with the border tribes (I think Warizan? Province). Since 2000, they had to make a choice or lose to India. Either become an ally of the US or the US would weaken them to the point that India would be able to invade (That always has been the big bogyman to the Pakistani's).

So, yeah they have lost a lot of guys. They are not the calibre of the CF, but do incredible battles without the protective equipment and support we have. There is not the hue and cry everytime one of their soldiers are killed, as it is in Canada. The family mourns of course, but life is brutal, far beyond what we think we would tolerate

As I entitled a thread on the site and I think it is an appropriate statement here; Our "Friend" Pakistan!

Scoobs said:
Mush or whatever his name is a dictator.

So is Mubarak, the House of Saud, the Kuwaiti royals and the host of other strongmen we keep counsel with in the region.  It is actually one of AQ's complaints against the West; that we are supporting apostate regimes.  However, when you consider the alternatives (like a Pakistan under Zia)....

As well, when discussing Pakistani foreign policy, it is important not to hone into the militant tribal guys to the north so much - most of Pakistan's population is Punjabi/Sindhi Shi'a living to the south and the enduring and dominant foreign/security policy concern since Pakistan's birth since it's birth has been India.  Relations with India and the dispute in Kashmir drive nuclear policy, relations with others, and Afghan policy; the Soviets were comfortable with non-aligned India while with the Taliban, the northern flank was finally secure.

Infanteer - south Asian studies guy....

m410 said:
Once again the media neglects mention of Mike Frastacky, who was murdered by the Taliban this summer.

The media tends not to repeatedly trumpet the death of civilians in warzones no matter their intentions.  I know of British civilian workers who have been killed in Afghanistan.  It is highly regretable.  But they knew the risks and they chose to take them.

big bad john said:
The media tends not to repeatedly trumpet the death of civilians in warzones no matter their intentions.  I know of British civilian workers who have been killed in Afghanistan.  It is highly regretable.  But they knew the risks and they chose to take them.
How is that different from any soldier, or from civilian diplomat Glyn Berry?

If we weren't fighting savages, Frastacky (and Berry) should have been quite safe.

m410 said:
How is that different from any soldier, or from civilian diplomat Glyn Berry?

If we weren't fighting savages, Frastacky (and Berry) should have been quite safe.

A soldier is there defending us.  You say that you are in uniform, you should know the difference. 

As to your your second point, do I get this right.  You are actually saying that if Canada did not have Troops in Afghanistan,  Frastacky and Berry would be safe and alive?

big bad john said:
As to your your second point, do I get this right.  You are actually saying that if Canada did not have Troops in Afghanistan,  Frastacky and Berry would be safe and alive?
No.  Emphasis on "savages", not "fighting".  I'm a true believer in our mission.

Ok for a minute there...  I haven't been to Afghanistan recently, but the first time I went was as a child with my parents.  I've also served in the region.  So I do have an opinion.

I don't think of them as savages.  But I do think of Timmie as a fanatic of the highest order.  He sort of reminds me of, (forgive me here for I do know that they are not a true part of Islam) an Islamic version of the Khmer Rouge.  "My way or the Highway" to the extreme.  We do have to go in an clean them out or they will eventually come out of their hiding places and strike at us.  It maybe years from now, but they won't stop.

COBRA-6 said:
MUSHARRAF - is on the Daily Show now!
Just caught it after reading this post (had to jump a flight of stair to make it) thanks for the heads up.

It was interesting to hear Musharraf speak. His point's on the tribes in northern Afghanistan were well said. Also when he was talking about cooperating with the U.S. and how they were coming through Pakistan with or without his permission also was well put.

Back