• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Compassionate Circumstances

shaun_bougie

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

We quite often hear of "Compassionate Circumstances" when dealing with Postings, Courses, Release, Tours etc.

Can anyone give a definition of what this means?  I know it's dependant on the individual, but quite often it seems like compassionate circumstances mean someone has to be dying...which isn't always the case.

I figure this would be a good topic of discussion.  Any help is great :)

Shaun

For Leave we have this thread:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/25703.0.html

In most cases anything "Compasionate" will be a result of a Family Emergency, such as Death of an Immediate Family Member, Terminal Illness of an Immediate Family Member, Major Injury resulting from an accident involving an Immediate Family Member......As you can see it is given when a Serious Event has happened to an IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBER.   It is not taken very lightly.   It is not granted for friends, girl/boyfriends, or close acquaintances.   It is not for trivial matters and sometimes can have Career ramifications.  

If you are a Recruit and have to be Released for Compassionate Reasons, you should not have that held against you should you reapply to join the CF.  

Thanks George.

Not a recruit here.  I have time in, I was jus tlooking for information.

I believe what you are referring to is now called "Quality of Life Posting" or "Contingency Cost Moves (CCM)".  I believe that compassionate postings, etc still do exist, however, in some cases the circumstances don't quite meet the guidelines for compassionate and or the career restrictions are a bit too harsh, hence the CCM option.  CCM's are controlled by the Career Managers and you must still follow the same basic guidelines as requesting Compassionate Status through your chain of command.

Hope this gets you going in the right direction.

IMHO based on some experience in seeking or granting compassionate status.

Compassionate Circumstances could be defined as exceptional, personal, urgent, substantiated and/or verifiable circumstances.  Actions taken in these circumstances have direct bearing on resolving, dealing with or attending to/at a matter, situation, dilemma, bedside (illness, injury, birth) or funeral.

Defined:
"Symphatetic, pitying,
Compassionate leave: leave granted on grounds of bereavment etc,"

Key point here will be IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBER... not Bob's your uncle.

Back