• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Compuer Science Degree

• Thread starter Thread starter noxes
  • Start date Start date
N

noxes

Hi all, I just applied to the CF. My question is besides CELE (Air) Officers, are there any other CF jobs that would use a compter science degree to its potential. I am in my first year taking Computer Science, and would like my degree put to use if I am to serve. Thanks for the advice in advance.

:gunner: (cause it looks cool)

No kidding, someone has to be able to figure out the Control Indicator....

Somebody is selling you a bill of goods if they‘ve told you CELE (Air) is the only one ...
CELE Army/Navy/Air would all be okay.

However ...
Basically, you can be a small fish in a big pond or a big fish in a little pond ...

You‘ll always be marketable with a degree in Computer Science, so it‘s up to you whether you want to just work on computers or ... do something more interesting/exciting ...
(i.e. You‘ve got the rest of your miserable post-Army life to work with comptuers, but as long as you‘re in the Army ...)
I studied computer science at U of T/McGill, but I‘m Infantry - I‘ve spent several years working on computers, but also get to do other stuff that‘s more fun

Just like the old recruiting poster:
"It‘s your career - your choice"
Good luck

I‘ve got a comp sci degree from UofT but I‘m in the artillery.

Basically I work 9 to 5, Mon - Fri in front of a computer (as a Snr Programmer Analyst), why would I want to do that in the army? I would rather do something different and exciting.

Just my 2 cents.

I‘m 1/2 way through my Comp Sci degree at Carleton. I have a part time job as a Sys Admin at a small ISP back home. I work on computers all day either for work or play or school.

I went infantry. ;)

Originally posted by kurokaze:
[qb] I‘ve got a comp sci degree from UofT but I‘m in the artillery.

Basically I work 9 to 5, Mon - Fri in front of a computer (as a Snr Programmer Analyst), why would I want to do that in the army? I would rather do something different and exciting.

Just my 2 cents. [/qb]
Ok, so when you signed up you chose to be artillery, but during peace time you are Snr Programmer Analyst?

A Comp Sci degree would be wasted in the basic SIGS unit - you may want to investigate the R&D branch of Signals Intel - who actually do development work.

Infanteer - as for the CI - yes it‘s a bit confusing given there is something like 300 available menus off those little buttons -

Send it up your chain to see if the nearest SIGS unit can send you a modified cheat sheet to get you thru the basics - or contact me privately thru this board and I will see what I can do.

Back