• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Computerized BMQ

atticus

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anybody here know if they are still trying to make a large portion of the Reserve BMQ done on computers? I would guess that this could only be the classroom portion of the course. I can't see how this would possibly work though.

You've got to be kidding me.  It's too short now as it is.

You cant teach somebody to be a soldier over a computer.

Brutal........There might be a study package, but I dunno for sure....Next thing we'll see is home study courses for combat courses. SO SARCASTIC.

It is likely a reference to the purely theoretical portions of the course, as an alternative to a "talking head" delivering the content. You can be sure there won't be an online lesson of IAs and stoppages.

Don't hold your breath! There is almost nothing on BMQ that can be computer taught. Anything that is not physically hands on (C7, drill, nav, firefighting, etc) is going to create too many questions (SHARP, D&A Policy, pay and admin) than can be settled in cyberspace with any accuracy or timeliness.

;)Your not getting away that easily. We want to be touchy, feely and guide you gently, on a personal basis, into the warm, loving arms of our group hug. ;)

I know that the CIC world is different by leaps and bounds in some areas, but they're already doing trials for some courses to be made fully online (admin and supply are the two I know of). Even for those short and simple classes it is, in my opinion, and heard from others who've done it, harder to get the material and skills across.

It's like calming the rabbit down before you wring it's neck. That way the meat doesn't taste sour. ;D

Yes, seems to me that those running the BMQ would like their meat fresh

Recceguy makes a good point BMQ is not a class-room based course. 
However, as Michael O'Leary pointed out, there are modules (SHARP,
SISIP, Insurance, memos and forms) in BMQ that can benefit from
computer based instruction.  Alot of lecturers use power point
presentations anyway.

Without the touchy-feely bs description and like it or not, a majority of
members use computers everyday to access the DIN, LANs, fill out forms,
spreadsheets and databases, and use various apps.  The IT world is a part of
everyday life in the military.

I remember they were talking about how they had selected 30 recrutes to test it out, and a little whille ago in my unit they were talking about it again. I was just thinking about it today and I can't possibly see how this would work. Apparantly one of the new clerks in my unit was trained on this (for the clerk job not BMQ). I wonder if it's connected with the fact that she is overweight and plays solitare on the computer all parade night....

recceguy said:
;)Your not getting away that easily. We want to be touchy, feely and guide you gently, on a personal basis, into the warm, loving arms of our group hug. ;)

Eek, I hope your never one of my course instructors!!  :eek: :crybaby: :eek:

recceguy said:
Don't hold your breath! There is almost nothing on BMQ that can be computer taught. Anything that is not physically hands on (C7, drill, nav, firefighting, etc) is going to create too many questions (SHARP, D&A Policy, pay and admin) than can be settled in cyberspace with any accuracy or timeliness.

Hmmm intriguing, but what about video conferencing, cant you just see someone getting jacked-up by an instructor, via a web cam over the net. lol

Absolutly not!! BMQ is the absolute basics of Soldiering. You can't learn any of that on a computer. A computer can't make or break a person, as the course is laid out to do. Well, used to, now it's patheticly short and covers very little if you ask me.

I don't think anyone who has knowledge of BMQ would ever think to computerize
the entire course as it lies too much in a practical domain. Yet, as many
may have seen in their own unit, there are course modules being offered more and
more via computer.  Once there were an abundance of paper forms like the
PERs/PDRs/CF-100s.  Now many forms are found and expected to be submitted
on-line.

In todays BMQs, power point presentations are used in demonstrations and
relaying information.  Palmtops are used remotely in many units.  IT and
it applications are maintstream in the Forces.  Recruits as they continue in
their careers are going to have live and work in this changing environment.

I can't wait to take my 6b by computer.  Instead of months in Gagetown doing attack, withdrawl, attack, withdrawl, I'll just get to play Socom or Halo II.  It'll be awesome. 

only have one word for that post... BAH!!!!
the only computer you will see is the one you swipe your meal card through

Back