• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dick Willows - 3rd. Anti-Tank Regiment

Christina

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Christina Maaswinkel, maiden name Hageman and I live in the Netherlands.
I need some help to find and maybay get in touch with a Veteran from the 3rd. Anti-Tank Regiment . This regiment was during WW2 in the Netherlands in the place Utrecht "Kromhout Kazerne" (June 1945 until begin 1946).

The story behind this is: My father died a few years ago and in his personal belongings I find a Dutch newspaper with the headline
"Canadian Veteran finds little boy back" The story is about a  hungry little boy (my father) who came almost every day to the "Kromhout Kazerne". One of the soldiers even get him a Canadian army outfit. The soldier in question is Quartermaster-Sergeant Dick Willows.

Pleas can someone help me? Maybay there are more Veterans who can remember my father?

Christina

Hello Christina
Did you ever find out about Dick Willows?  I am related to him.  He was my mother's cousin. His mother, Elizabeth (Beth) Willows was born in Sheffield, England.  Her maiden name was Carr.  She was the sister of my grandfather, James (Jim) Carr. Dick's parents emigrated to Canada from England before the War. My grandfather lived all his life in Sheffield.  While stationed in England during the war, Dick attended my parents' wedding in Sheffield in 1940.  I have photos of him at the wedding.  Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, both Dick and his wife, Winnie, are both dead.  He and Winnie had two children in Ontario.  I think at least one of them is still alive. I live in Calgary, Canada and stayed with Dick and family in 1973 when I emigrated from England to Canada. We kept in touch occasionally.  He and his family were lovely, generous, kind people so I am not surprised to read about his kindness to your father.
Strangely enough I have other family connections with the Netherlands: a cousin on my father's side who married a Hollander and they live in Gouda.
Best wishes
Glenys Godlovitch

Back