• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kinesology Degree

KZAR

Reaction score
Hello, and thank you for all the useful information. I and originally from Iran, but I became a Canadian citizen in 2017, finished my bachelor of Kinesiology a year ago and applied for PT school with the aim of getting into the forces for PT officer trade, Unfortunately, I got waitlisted for the PT school. I am still very determined and interested to join but I want to make sure that I can make use of my undergrad degree. SO I have some questions, regarding how to increase my chance to get in for officer trade. I am located in Halifax and spoke to the recruiter multiple times but I was not able to get many answers from them, Or maybe I am just overthinking everything and just have to start the process.1- What are my chances considering my civilian university?2- How do I choose the trade that gives me the best chance?3-Any overall tips on my situation?4- Am I competing with those who have joined previously or have completed their bachelor's at RMC? give me any overall tip that you think it is important for me to consider, thank you

Hello, and thank you for all the useful information. I and originally from Iran, but I became a Canadian citizen in 2017, finished my bachelor of Kinesiology a year ago and applied for PT school with the aim of getting into the forces for PT officer trade, Unfortunately, I got waitlisted for the PT school. I am still very determined and interested to join but I want to make sure that I can make use of my undergrad degree. SO I have some questions, regarding how to increase my chance to get in for officer trade. I am located in Halifax and spoke to the recruiter multiple times but I was not able to get many answers from them, Or maybe I am just overthinking everything and just have to start the process.1- What are my chances considering my civilian university?2- How do I choose the trade that gives me the best chance?3-Any overall tips on my situation?4- Am I competing with those who have joined previously or have completed their bachelor's at RMC? give me any overall tip that you think it is important for me to consider, thank you
A Kinesiology degree is very specific. I'd have to double check the Entry Standards but from my memory the only occupation that is a direct match to a Kinesiology degree is Bioscience Officer; but unless you're applying for an occupation that will take "any degree" (and there are those occupations, but speak to a recruiter for more info) your chances for Bioscience isn't that great; and simply because Bioscience Officer is VERY competitive simply because the intake on that occupation is super low each each year (normally 1-2).

As a side note for Physiotherapy you're not competing against RMC; as RMC doesn't offer a degree that matches Physiotherapy. You need to have a Bachelor of Physiotherapy (not offered by RMC) to become a Physiotherapy officer.

Have you already applied for Physio Officer through the Subsidized Education for Entry-level Masters (SEELM) program? I assume you only applied to the one school, my first recommendation would be to apply to multiple schools if you plan on reapplying next year. If you are currently waitlisted, there is still the chance that you get accepted before the program starts in September, if there are unfilled spots for SEELM (ask the recruiting center) then it may be possible to get an enrolled this year and your tuition reimbursed.

If you are looking for what other officer trades you meet the academic requirements for, it is any trade that accepts "any bachelor degree"... Physio (through SEELM) and Bioscience Officer (specifically requires an Honours Baccalaureate, and as stated is hyper competitive) are the only trades that specifically require a kinesiology or similar degree. What school you went to and what grades you received are essentially irrelevant when it comes to DEO selection, as long as it was a recognized institution and you graduated. As a civilian, you are not competing with those who are already in the military, just other civilian applicants. You competitiveness to other applicants is primarily a factor of how well you scored on the Aptitude Test (CFAT).

Your chances for SEELM (Physio) are dependently greatly on when your file is complete. Normally, selections for subsidized education programs happen in the spring (April/May). If you received an acceptance letter to a Masters in Physio program in January, you would potentially have your file processed in time for main selections. At this point, it is a question of whether or not there are any spots left for SEELM (Physio) for this Fiscal Year (2023/2024) and if there are any other applicants. Which school you get acceptance to will not affect your chances of being selected for SEELM.

A Kinesiology degree is very specific. I'd have to double check the Entry Standards but from my memory the only occupation that is a direct match to a Kinesiology degree is Bioscience Officer; but unless you're applying for an occupation that will take "any degree" (and there are those occupations, but speak to a recruiter for more info) your chances for Bioscience isn't that great; and simply because Bioscience Officer is VERY competitive simply because the intake on that occupation is super low each each year (normally 1-2).

As a side note for Physiotherapy you're not competing against RMC; as RMC doesn't offer a degree that matches Physiotherapy. You need to have a Bachelor of Physiotherapy (not offered by RMC) to become a Physiotherapy officer.
Thank you for your response. At this point, I am just aiming to prepare for CFAT and apply for one of the trades that accept any bachelor's degree and I need to know what is the best timing and what trades are going to be less competitive so that I can increase my chances, there are not a lot of trades on demand and those that are, require specific degrees. I appreciate it if you give me information about your experiences regarding my situation.

Thank you

Thank you for your response. At this point, I am just aiming to prepare for CFAT and apply for one of the trades that accept any bachelor's degree and I need to know what is the best timing and what trades are going to be less competitive so that I can increase my chances, there are not a lot of trades on demand and those that are, require specific degrees. I appreciate it if you give me information about your experiences regarding my situation.

Thank you

If I were you I'd go Infantry then JTF2 or CSOR.

That Kin degree (plus fluent Farsi) would be invaluable amongst that lot, I'm guessing ;)

Have you already applied for Physio Officer through the Subsidized Education for Entry-level Masters (SEELM) program? I assume you only applied to the one school, my first recommendation would be to apply to multiple schools if you plan on reapplying next year. If you are currently waitlisted, there is still the chance that you get accepted before the program starts in September, if there are unfilled spots for SEELM (ask the recruiting center) then it may be possible to get an enrolled this year and your tuition reimbursed.

If you are looking for what other officer trades you meet the academic requirements for, it is any trade that accepts "any bachelor degree"... Physio (through SEELM) and Bioscience Officer (specifically requires an Honours Baccalaureate, and as stated is hyper competitive) are the only trades that specifically require a kinesiology or similar degree. What school you went to and what grades you received are essentially irrelevant when it comes to DEO selection, as long as it was a recognized institution and you graduated. As a civilian, you are not competing with those who are already in the military, just other civilian applicants. You competitiveness to other applicants is primarily a factor of how well you scored on the Aptitude Test (CFAT).

Your chances for SEELM (Physio) are dependently greatly on when your file is complete. Normally, selections for subsidized education programs happen in the spring (April/May). If you received an acceptance letter to a Masters in Physio program in January, you would potentially have your file processed in time for main selections. At this point, it is a question of whether or not there are any spots left for SEELM (Physio) for this Fiscal Year (2023/2024) and if there are any other applicants. Which school you get acceptance to will not affect your chances of being selected for SEELM.

Thank you
If I were you I'd go Infantry then JTF2 or CSOR.

That Kin degree (plus fluent Farsi) would be invaluable amongst that lot, I'm guessing ;)
Can you tell me why would you do that if you were me? Not only Farsi I speak Kurdish too lol

Thank you

Can you tell me why would you do that if you were me? Not only Farsi I speak Kurdish too lol

Because it sounds like you would know alot about physical fitness, which is a critical part of the SOF experience, and SOF operates in the Middle East alot.

I’m guessing your average Canuck SOF operator doesn’t have a natural grasp of ME/ Asian languages.

Thank you

I wouldn't worry about a "best timing" to apply. Occupations are given a yearly allotment of positions to be filled, and offers for the Fiscal Year begin in April. As I stated before, your competitiveness will be largely based off of your CFAT score... the higher the score the better your chance of getting into any trade. How long your application will take to be completed depends on many factors... if you have travelled to/from Iran several times in the past 10 years, or have immediate family that still live there, I would not be surprised if your security clearance takes many months to be completed (there is quite the backlog, you will join the queue for processing once you submit your security clearance paperwork).

If you apply for a DEO officer trade that you meet current requirements for, that doesn't preclude you from re-applying to a Masters in Physio Program again (applying to more schools, if it increases your chance of acceptance). If you receive an offer of acceptance and have yet to enrol in a different trade, you could change your application to SEELM.

Because it sounds like you would know alot about physical fitness, which is a critical part of the SOF experience, and SOF operates in the Middle East alot.

I’m guessing your average Canuck SOF operator doesn’t have a natural grasp of ME/ Asian languages.
So do you mean infantry officer and then JTF2 or CSOR, if you have any information about the process of joining JTF2 or CSOR let me know, please.

Knowing a lot about physical fitness is not necessarily the same as being very physically fit, though I assume that anyone doing a kinesiology degree would be naturally inclined to maintain very good physical fitness. The ones that I knew in the CAF were either PEROs (a couple - and being that trade will tell how long ago that was) or infantry (one of my coursemates on phase training - again, many decades ago).

The physical fitness focus of a SOF operator/officer would not necessarily be the intricacies of body mechanics, but more along the lines of run fast, run long, carry lots of weight, walk long distance carrying lots of weight, run fast and long carrying lots of weight, make other people walk or run fast and long while carrying lots of weight.

Knowing a lot about physical fitness is not necessarily the same as being very physically fit, though I assume that anyone doing a kinesiology degree would be naturally inclined to maintain very good physical fitness. The ones that I knew in the CAF were either PEROs (a couple - and being that trade will tell how long ago that was) or infantry (one of my coursemates on phase training - again, many decades ago).

The physical fitness focus of a SOF operator/officer would not necessarily be the intricacies of body mechanics, but more along the lines of run fast, run long, carry lots of weight, walk long distance carrying lots of weight, run fast and long carrying lots of weight, make other people walk or run fast and long while carrying lots of weight.
any ideas on what trades have the most hires per year? or it varies year?

any ideas on what trades have the most hires per year? or it varies year?
Intake varies by Fiscal Year; however there are certain trades that always have big numbers to fill (Infantry for example); but there are also a number of people who apply for those positions as well.

Back