• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Direct Entry vs. CEOTP for Combat Arms

Murch

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys --

I'm starting to be a bit of a regular on the recruiting forum. I know its hard to give an answer with absolute authority, and I am in almost constant contact with my local CFRC. I just like to here some chatter on here as well. I applied for ROTP but got fetched up in a medical issue during the process which has been dealt with, but missed the first round of selection and very few slots were left for my selected trades in the subsequent rounds. I'm currently moving forward with a Reserve Medical Technician position, and intend to do DEO after my degree is done, or CEOTP earlier. I have one full year of studies left after the summer is completed (I'm taking the equivalent of a semester over the summer) and I'm after a Combat Arms position ideally, but I'm open to considering some of the more in demand trades.

My question is how common is it at this point for Combat Arms trades (Infantry, Armored and Artillery -- I do not have an appropriate degree for Army Engineer) to be selected for CEOTP? Beyond that, is any large scale recruiting still ongoing for Direct Entry on the Officer side of things for the Combat Arms or have operational needs been met for those trades at this point? Lastly, what sort of problems can arise for CEOTP officers compared to DEO? Is it going to be worth it to get in and have one semester of courses left under CEOTP, or would it be better to slog it out for that last semester, and do DEO?

I spoke to a recruiter about MARS, as they apparently have a number of CEOTP positions open for MARS in which my ROTP application could be switched over to, but I am unsure if the Navy life is what I want out of the military. Ideally, I would like to do  combat arms for some time, and then do a CT into Intelligence down the road. People tell me I could do MARS then switch to a combat arms trade to get my foot in the door, but I do not believe it is as simple as some believe to CT, especially right after you have been commissioned and are switching environments.

Back