• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Do The New Border Laws Change Things for Military Personal?

CANADIAN F0RCES

Inactive
Reaction score
I have a question regarding travel to the US and back. I haven't been sworn in yet but my brother has and we might have to go to Detroit. However, I'm aware of the new laws in effect since June 1, which state that you must give fingerprints before leaving and are more susceptible to searches at the border. How will this affect me, more so my brother. Will he have to notify his Captain or whoever-it-may-be? I assume identifying himself at the border would help aswell. Please give some feedback asap!
Thank you.

Just comply with the new crossing regulations and you'll be fine.

I just checking because he's a Comm. so he has a higher level security clearance - and fingerprints - would it be a problem?

If you are born in Canada and from Ontario, crossing at Windsor/ Detroit, you will need a passport or enhanced driver's license. Don't worry about mil ID or fingerprints.

recceguy said:
If you are born in Canada and from Ontario, crossing at Windsor/ Detroit, you will need a passport or enhanced driver's license. Don't worry about mil ID or fingerprints.
If travelling for military work, it should also be possible with Mil ID, Travel Order & Claim, and NATO Travel Order.

MCG said:
If travelling for military work, it should also be possible with Mil ID, Travel Order & Claim, and NATO Travel Order.
True. However, given the nature of the question, I didn't feel it relevent.

For those who might want to purchase items at US BX/PXs, you are not permitted to buy uniform items or groceries unless you are on TD or posted there. Dept store items vary from place to place.
Ft Drum is particularly sticky about these regs.
Best bet is to check first.

Back