• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Doc Kenneth R. Braun Awarded Navy Cross - 38 years later

• Thread starter Thread starter pappy
  • Start date Start date
P

pappy

Below is why God and Marines have a special place in our hearts for our Corpsmen, God bless ALL the Corpsman serving and protecting Marines everywhere.  Long but worth it.

" Doc Kenneth R. Braun Awarded Navy Cross
By Jack Riley

If you were serving with the "Flaming I" on March 30, 1967, you will never forget our battle at Getlin's Corner! You will also never forget the fifteen heroes of that day and night who sacrificed their lives for each of us who survived. More heroes survived the battle and were decorated with Bronze Stars and Silver Stars. After many years passed two more were decorated with Silver Stars. Personally, I have always said that every Marine on that hill was a hero. Every man did his duty and followed every order without hesitation but not without fear-for we were all afraid. Facing one's fear and still doing your duty is what I feel sets Marines apart. Facing odds that seemed insurmountable, I witnessed the essence of the United States Marine Corps spirit being carried out by every Marine at Getlin's Corner. Not wanting to let your brother Marine down is a powerful force and overcomes the most deep seated fear. I witnessed that kind of courage by every man in India Company on that hill in 1967.

There were Marines on that hill who displayed leadership and courage above and beyond just doing their job. For those that don't know, I served under Lt. John Bobo as a member of Second Platoon from July 1966 until he was moved to Weapons Platoon at Okinawa in January 1967. When the "advanced party" was designated for our return to Vietnam, Lt. Bobo, Roger Turnquist, and I made up one team and arrived on February 20, 1967 to scout our new TAOR (Tactical Area of Responsibility) all along route 9 from the bridge west of Camp Carroll to Ca Lu south of the Rockpile. I witnessed Lt. Bobo in action numerous times and was always inspired by him. His many acts of bravery did not surprise any of us that knew him! We are very thankful that he was awarded the Medal of Honor and that his family understands that their "big brother" was loved and revered by every Marine fortunate enough to serve under him.

I witnessed our Skipper, Captain Mike Getlin, as he tried in vain to dissuade the 3/9 CO from ordering him to split our company into three separate positions. An order that I'm sure still haunts Lt. Col. Wilson to this day, if he is still alive. Captain Mike Getlin was a good Marine and he followed his orders. He was our commanding officer for just a short period of time, but during that time as one of his squad leaders I observed a real leader of Marines. I appreciated his concerted effort to get to know his men. Some of his superiors may have seen that as getting too close to the troops but I saw it as building trust and confidence in his leadership. Captain Getlin was one of the bravest Marines to wear the uniform. I have always felt his Navy Cross deserved to be the Medal of Honor. His actions inspired all who saw him give his all for his men that night in 1967.

Two more Marines were awarded the Navy Cross on that hill: Top Ray Rogers who I have written about previously, and John (Jack) Loweranitis, who paid the ultimate sacrifice in a one man assault into the teeth of the NVA ground attack. Jack wasn't afraid of anything!

Many years went by, and I always assumed that one other "Flaming I" brother had been decorated for his actions "above and beyond the call of duty" at Getlin's Corner. Doc Ken Braun was an inspiration to every Marine in that battle. I feared his terrible wounds would take his life as he was finally medevaced late that night. Here was a man's man in the body of a nineteen-year-old U.S. Navy Corpsman! Time and time again Doc displayed courage during that battle that inspired every Marine on that hill. Doc never was one to follow orders blindly and all who know him knew that he had a problem with authority--at least as it would apply to liberty while we were on Okinawa! He and Loweranitis, his partner in stretching Top's orders, did manage to find more than one way to leave the base besides the main gate! I mention following orders only because during the battle Doc was told time and again to keep his tail down below the tall grass so the NVA couldn't see him. It made no difference because as soon as the next wounded Marine yelled, "Corpsman up", Doc was up running to treat whoever needed his help. For those who weren't there with us, as you read Doc's citation please try to imagine being on the exposed forward slope of Hill 70. The only cover from mortars, RPGs (rocket-propelled grenades), grenades and machine-guns is hastily dug fighting holes no more than six inches deep in very hard rocky ground, known as chert, along with chest-tall elephant grass. Doc was like the "bionic man" treating everyone he could reach.

After Doc was shot alongside Lt. Bobo, I feared that he had been killed. I can't begin to describe how I felt when he crawled up right in front of me as we lay in our final stand clump of brush. His wounds were horrible: his entire upper spine exposed. This Corpsman had appeared to be "Superman" all during the battle: he had received gunshot wounds that would have killed anyone else. Doc never moaned, cried out in pain or made the slightest sound that would have given away our position to the many NVA that were combing the hill in the dark looking for us. He did what he always did; he assumed that this old Jar Head didn't know squat about treating a wound this severe so he started telling me how to treat his wound. I know how excruciating the pain must have been as I pressed those blood-soaked bandages just removed from other KIAs into his back; yet, he never made a sound. His concern even then was treating the other wounded Marines on that hill. What an inspiration Doc was for every Marine!

The forward slope of Hill 70 had many seriously wounded Marines that Doc managed to get to and treat before rushing off to the next call for help. Doc's devotion to every Marine wounded in battle did not just happen at Getlin's Corner. I also witnessed Doc's courage and devotion when we were down south in Antennae Valley. Our platoon was positioned on a hill as a blocking force and had a perfect view of Golf Company 2/9 as they started a sweep of an NVA-held village. A Marine in the middle of a rice paddy was shot through his thigh and unable to move. He was just standing there in the middle of the pattie while the NVA were shooting all around him. No one from his outfit made a move to help him! All of a sudden we see this corpsman running through knee-deep water to rescue the Marine. Rounds are impacting all over that paddy as the NVA were trying to kill them both. Miraculously, Doc made it all the way back to the tree line carrying that wounded Marine. Second Platoon immediately burst out in a loud cheer as the two made it to safety. We did not know at that time that it was our own Doc Ken Braun who rushed out to save his brother Marine. As we watched from our lofty hill, Lt. John Bobo stated, "That man just won himself a medal!" Doc Braun was presented a Bronze Star for his actions that day. It didn't matter to Doc that the wounded Marine wasn't in our company. He was a Marine that needed help, and when Doc saw that no one from his outfit was moving to help him, Doc did what he always did; he saved the Marine's life!

We were blessed to serve in a company with such good men--men who willingly laid down their lives for their brothers! Men like Doc Kenneth Roger Braun who defeated both fear and death at Getlin's Corner serving and saving the Marines he cherished.

Doc called me in 2000. We must have talked on the phone for hours. I was so excited when I found out that he actually was still alive and kicking up in Missoula, Montana. I asked, "Doc, what medal did you end up with at Getlin's Corner?" His response was "Another purple heart just like you." To Doc that was good enough because he felt just like I did: our medal was making it home alive. But that wasn't good enough for those of us that owe our lives to this great American hero. Even though Doc didn't want or expect anything for his actions, I contacted two other Marines on the hill with us and asked them to join with me and write their eyewitness account of Doc's actions-- Joe Lempa from our Second Platoon gun team and John Errera, who was a Fireteam Leader in my squad--and I resubmitted our accounts. I had submitted my original account for all who were decorated when I returned to the company after getting out of the hospital at Marble Mountain. I had just assumed that Doc had been decorated.

General Butch Neal arranged for the presentation of Doc's Navy Cross during the Iwo Jima Memorial parade on June 14, 2005. The crowd was estimated at ten to twenty thousand people! The Marine Corps Drum and Bugle Corps along with the Marines from Headquarters Marine Corps and the Silent Drill Platoon performed. The crowd cheered when the band played "Corpsman, Up!"-the song now played at all Marine Corps reunions. 

Marines and Corpsmen attending the ceremony included Butch Neal, who presented the Navy Cross to Doc Braun; George Navadel, Bob Kelly, Lon Getlin, Dan Pultz, Johnny Prickett, Al (Deadlock Playboy) Barbour, Terry O'Connell, Glen Crosby, Charlie Gallagher, Joe Lempa, Doc Chuck Dockery, Bill Stankowski, John Errera, Mike Bartley, Doc Bob Robb, Frank Gerosa, Bill Brogan, Larry Williams, John Lang, Al Seals, Vaughn Russell and Jack Riley. Also present were special Bobo family members: John's brothers Bill and Pat Bobo and our Skipper Mike Getlin's daughter Jennifer. Accompanying her dad throughout the festivities was one very proud daughter, Kim Braun. Most Marines turned this ceremony into a family affair, bringing along their wives, and many brought their children. Two Marines from Rochester, Minnesota were also in attendance including the Marine, Dave Crawley, responsible for our finding Doc in Montana. Also attending was Doc's best friend from Missoula, former Army Ranger, Fred Graves.

I have attended many ceremonies throughout the years, but I can honestly say that this was the most beautiful ceremony I have ever witnessed. Based upon the comments of all attending, they agree with me! It was indeed a special day for a special corpsman!

I called Doc after we arrived back home just to make sure everything went well for his return home. Doc was still reeling from an experience that few will ever have. After the ceremony and parade were concluded there were scores of people wanting to shake Doc's hand: Navy Admirals, Marine Generals, Navy officers from many foreign countries, including Russians in their bright yellow uniforms. Doc and his daughter Kim were invited to walk out closer to the monument for some official USMC pictures. What occurred next was something Doc Braun will never forget. As he turned to return to the parking lot and the car waiting to take them to the reception awaiting them at the hotel, he saw before him every Marine from Headquarters Company forming an aisle for them to walk through. The Colonel from HQMC took Kim by the arm, as they walked each Marine rendered a perfect salute in admiration and respect for this American hero. When they finally reached the parking lot Doc said he saw an elderly gentleman in his dress blues exit his car and stand at attention. When he got close enough Doc could see that this was a retired Marine General and the General saluted him. Doc said, "Sir it is I who should be saluting you and not you saluting me!" The General said, "Any man that receives the Navy Cross deserves my salute and respect."

In 2000 my goal was clear but not simple. I wanted our corpsman to be recognized as the hero that we all knew him to be. Getting a decoration for my corpsman after 33 years is almost unheard of. The military rule closing recommendations for awards three years after the event ends most attempts. Top Rogers and I had both recommended Doc be decorated in 1967 and those eyewitness accounts had to exist somewhere. Resubmitting a previous recommendation is allowed when there exists enough evidence to prove the original recommendations did occur.

There are some people that I would like to personally thank for everything that they have done in Doc Braun's behalf: To Lon Getlin for his unquenchable desire to find the truth about his brother's actions and of those who were with Mike. George Navadel, who wrote all of the original citations and who guided us in matters of protocol. Joe Lempa and John Errera, who felt as strongly as I that Doc should have been decorated and were willing to resubmit statements. Terry O'Connell for making all the arrangements for our hotel and paying the biggest portion of Doc's reception. And finally General Richard I. (Butch) Neal, who at a time when the Decorations Branch of the Marine Corps was overwhelmed with Iraqi Freedom citations for consideration, made sure Doc's citation didn't get pushed to the bottom of the pile and did receive the attention it deserved.

Doc Braun never solicited anything. We, his brother Marines, wanted this recognition for him as a symbol of our respect, gratitude, and love. Doc, I am so thankful that you were there with us on that fateful day in 1967.

Semper Fidelis
Jack Riley  "

Back