• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DOT's (Commercial Vehicle Inspection) ability to pull over private vehicles??

Inactive
Reaction score
Just a dumb question, is a DOT officer able to pull over a privately registered vehicle for something like speeding, in Alberta there cars and trucks are labeled "Commercial Vehicle Inspection". My helper and I where discussing this on the way to work tonight after watching many vehicles slow down to about 111km/h and creep past one of there cars.

They tried to have this power in Quebec but it did not work. I am not sure for Alberta.

It would make sense to me that if they are "ministry of Transport" officials they have the power to do "enforcement " on any cars that has provincial plates on it.

Jim B Toronto.

schart28 said:
They tried to have this power in Quebec but it did not work. I am not sure for Alberta.

Sorry to burst your bubble on this one, but it was in use and did work.  I have received such a ticket on Hwy 101 in Quebec.  I was not to happy with the way they conducted themselves in the issue.  I got stuck behind one of these characters, who insisted on stopping in the middle of every construction zone on the highway and chatting with the workers, stopping all traffic.  When I had a chance to pass him, he turned on his lights and issued a ticket.  Meanwhile, my cousin flys by and waves.  The jerk had the nerve to tail me for the next 50 km until he RV'ed with another character coming from a side road further ahead.  Gave me the impression that they had a scam and entrapment scheme going to get out of province drivers.  Great for Tourism.  I now go up the Ontario side to Larder Lake and then in.  Friendlier, but busier route.

Back