• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Drill Lesson

S

swoop_ds

Hey everybody,
I'm new to this forum and I have a question.  I'm teaching two drill lessons as part of my plq mod 2 training.  I got assigned two fairly easy ones, saluting and marking time.  The problem is, I can't seem to find the count for marking time in my drill pam.  Is it '1,2, left right left' or 'check, 1, left right left' or '1 left right left' or something else entirely??  Also, when marking time in quick time are the thighs brought parallel to the ground or is the foot only lifted 15cm?  Thanks for the help in advance.
-Dave

I'm not really an expert on this, seeing as how I am only on my second weekend of BMQ, but I think it is Check, Left, Right, Left. And in quitck time, thighs are brought parallel to the ground. Hope I'm right on that, but if not, sorry in advance.

ON THE COMMAND, "MARK TIME BY NUMBERS, SQUAD - ONE", is given as the right foot is forward on the ground.   Squad members shall:

a. Take a 15 inch pace with the left foot, placing the foot flat on the ground;

b. Bring the right foot into the left in a straight leg manner, not scraping the ground, and adopt the position of attention;

c. Simultaneously, cut the arms to the sides and assume the position of attention; and

d. Maintain the same cadence

ON THE COMMAND: "MARK TIME BY NUMBERS, SQUAD - TWO", squad member shall:

a. Bend the left knee so that the thigh is parallel to the ground and the foot is at a natural angle;

b. Place the toe on the ground before the heel, as the leg is lowered; and

c. Continue to mark time until the command FOR-WARD or HALT is ordered.

Hope that help's a little.

Going by the lesson plan, it appears that the timing is (called on the right foot) "check, in, left, right, left)

Yeah I have the pam on it but it doesn't really say the count.  I think that 'check left right left' sounds about right though.

Yeah, if you read through the squads, as I posted, it seems to add up that way. Unfortunatly, not all MLP's put the timming in the right column, I wish they would...damn Standards!   :p

Nah, I'm on the reserve plq being run out of det dundurn.  It's a weekend thing running jan - apr .  Thanx for the help so far.  I think I'll just get the movement and squads down pat and then when I go on the weekend I'll just ask the staff what the timing is and then incorporate it into my lesson then.
-Dave

Hey! I'm doing my BMQ out of Dundurn! Where do you go for Parade on tuesday nights?

EDIT

on second thought... i might not enter that drill competition...

This past summer on IAP in St-Jean, and at prep year (also in St-Jean), we were taught "Check, in, left right left" Who knows, different timings for different regiments. Wouldn't be the first time, right?

Yeah I hope that's it. Just looked at my BMQ schedule, I have to teach that class this weekend. :p

They have to teach mark time on a PLQ course?
It's like...0430 here, maybe my eyes are decieving me?

No, the candidates teach the drill lessons. They teach BMQ level Drill to their section and are evaluated on their teaching ability by the staff.

swoop_ds said:
Yeah I have the pam on it but it doesn't really say the count.   I think that 'check left right left' sounds about right though.
Don't forget the "in".  Check, In, Left, Right, Left

Back