• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Driving to a new posting.

bouncer2004

Inactive
Reaction score
So here is the story...I was told by my WOR in Winnipeg that I'm prohibited posted to Borden, I'm allowed 4 days and 3 nights to do so.  I was allowed 4 days of meals and incidentals, my hotels, reasonable expenses, and mileage on my PMV...I was told to be there NLT 2000 hrs the day prior to the posting date and I was entitled to 4 full days of meals and such becasue I'm posted and not on TD...so I submitted my claim in Borden and the OR there told me;
1. I was allowed up to 4 days to drive, but if I arrive sooner on the last day, I would not get to claim dinner,
2. My receipts from Hotwire was not acceptable and may not be reimbursed on those nights,

Any Master RMS Clerks here that can shed a light in this subject? As well, any references (DAODs, CFAO, or CBIs would be nice...)

Thanks all!

If you are allowed 4 days but only used 3 then you get reimbursed for 3.  You're not going to get paid for a day you didn't use.

If you have a paid receipt in your name for a hotel you stayed at during one of the authorized nights, then you will get reimbursed as long as it is a reasonable amount.

Does your Hotwire receipt state that you paid for the evening at the hotel in full and show a credit card number? I've never used Hotwire before, thats why I ask. You need to prove you actually paid for the night in the hotel, so they need a receipt that states the date, and says it was paid somewhere on there.

Even if you made the booking and paid on Hotwire, the hotel should still have given you a receipt when you checked out.  If not call them and ask them to send you one.  The problem with an email printout from Hotwire is that it does not actually prove that you were there.

As an aside, there is no real advantage to booking and paying through Hotwire (or similar operations) as you don't need any of the discounts offered through them.  You can only be reimbursed "actual and reasonable" costs (i.e. what you actually paid up to a limit) so getting a 50% last minute discount only saves the Crown money, but puts nothing extra in your pocket.  If getting a great deal makes it difficult to get the receipt required to claim reimbursement, you're only screwing yourself.  The CF really should join the 21st Century on this issue, but we haven't yet, so in the meantime, we need to put up with some archaic thinking (sad, but true).

With respect to meals, the principle is simple.  Claiming meals on the day you depart your old place of duty and the day you arrive at the new one is dependent on the timing.  If you are living in single quarters you will not be able to claim for any meals normally served in the mess before your departure time (e.g. if you leave the base at 0800, you can't claim for breakfast if the mess opened at 0600).  On the day you arrive at your new posting, if you're moving into single quarters and you arrive before the mess closes, you generally cannot claim supper on that day.  The moral of this story is never "arrive" before the mess closes.

If you print out your credit card charges and underline the appropriate charges and hand that in with the Hotwire receipts that may work.

KIS???  Call the hotels and have them send you the receipts.  Do it all the time for members that lose them while on TD.  Some will email full colour PDF's that you can print out that are exactly the same thing you should have received when you cleared out.

Pusser is right - Hotwire has no benefit and as you have now learned only makes it harder on you.

Credit card charges may work .... and may not.  I believe the regs say that you need a receipt which a print out of your card charges isn't.  The problem again is that it doesn't state that you were there. Hotel receipts identify that you were the guest.  Yes, in the past we often used the card charges but times are changing, TB has slapped us for a lot of things and we are now following the wording of regs much closer.  As DCBA likes to stress - if it isn't in the regs then it isn't.

The question is - why didn't they tell you this and either call the hotels or get you to do it while there?

Back