• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DVT and recruitment

canalb

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all,
This is a fairly specific question. I'm hoping to join the reserves in my early/mid 30s and have a civilian background in defence. I had originally hoped to join in my early 20s, but during my application process I had a bit of a medical scare in the form of a DVT forming as a consequence of weight lifting. It was treated, confirmed gone, and I've had zero circulatory or health concerns since (a decade later). The side effect has been visibly affected vasculature around the right pectoral.

As I go through my application next year (I'm currently living overseas), I will of course disclose this and intend to get a note from my doctor. But for the purpose of tempering my own expectations and hopes with regards to recruitment, I'd appreciate a POV from anyone here involved in the medical side of recruiting.

Let me start with the standard disclaimers:

1. No one here will give you a definitive answer to your question. Recruiting has the final say.
2. Everyone gets to apply, not everyone gets to join.

That being said, a single DVT for which you are not on life long anti-coagulation should not be a big issue. As you have indicated, you may be required to provide additional medical information.

ModlrMike said:
That being said, a single DVT for which you are not on life long anti-coagulation should not be a big issue. As you have indicated, you may be required to provide additional medical information.

Appreciate it and understand the disclaimer. Acknowledging that the judgement will vary recruiter-to-recruiter, knowing that it doesn't represent an automatic disqualification is helpful. Thank you!

canalb said:
. . .  Acknowledging that the judgement will vary recruiter-to-recruiter, . . .

No, it doesn't vary recruiter to recruiter.  Recruiters has no "judgement" in the medical assessment of applicants, nor any input.  All applicants will be examined by a medical professional and the results of that examination will be forwarded to the Recruiting Medical Officer (RMO).  The RMO will review those results and based on centrally established criteria will decide whether applicants meet the common enrolment medical standard.

Back