• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Enrollment, Res BMQ, and MSE Ops?

TheRippingJack

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi all,

OK, I have found this forum extremely helpful, however there are still a few questions that I haven't found the answers for. And I have searched (oh, lord how I have searched :blotto:).

So here's my situation:

1. I applied for Infantry Reserves, however I was told that they are full, and the Recruiting officer said that they had space in another trade and that I could have it. He never told me what it was called, but he said I'd be driving trucks and cars and buses. So I did a bit of digging, and figured he was talking about MSE Ops. My question is, what is the general opinion of MSE Ops, are they well respected?

2. I am supposed to be getting enrolled next week, I have looked but couldn't find any information on this process, what am I going to do? Should I dress formally? Can my family come?

3. I am also supposed to start weekend BMQ on January 9th, the Recruiting Officer said that it was from Fri-Sun. Now does this mean that I will be sleeping there for the whole weekend? Or will I go home every night and return in the morning? Also, is it every weekend, or only once a month like I have found some people saying in the forum?

Thank you very much in advance!

P.S. I'm so psyched to finally be part of the CF!  :cdn: :salute:

TheRippingJack said:
My question is, what is the general opinion of MSE Ops, are they well respected?

Their history in Canada goes back to 1 November 1901. 
Keep your sunny side up, and rubber side down! The CF trains the best drivers in the world.

Good day,

I can not speak about the Reserves or the BMQ, but I was an MSE Op for 25 years until July 09.

As in all other trades, you get the respect you earn.  There are some truckers who work hard, know their stuff and maintain a very high standard.  They tend to get universal respect.  However, you have those who believe mediocrity is a good thing.  They tend to get less.

I regret nothing about my choice of trades and would recommend it to anyone who likes long hours, hard work and depending on the day, not necessarily a whole lot of recognition.  It was a lot of fun, I met some great people and went some very nice places.

Hope all works out for you.

MSE Op 935

TheRippingJack said:
1. I applied for Infantry Reserves, however I was told that they are full, and the Recruiting officer said that they had space in another trade and that I could have it. He never told me what it was called, but he said I'd be driving trucks and cars and buses. So I did a bit of digging, and figured he was talking about MSE Ops. My question is, what is the general opinion of MSE Ops, are they well respected?

Like any other trade, MSE Ops have a job to do. I sure as heck don't know anything about how to drive a highway cruiser bus or an MLVW, but getting a ride sure beats walking. If you're able to do your job and not screw people over, you'll be fine.

2. I am supposed to be getting enrolled next week, I have looked but couldn't find any information on this process, what am I going to do? Should I dress formally? Can my family come?

You can never be over dressed for an important event. That said, don't rent a tux or anything. SOP for enrollments is usually shirt and tie, jacket optional depending on weather (and if the building's air conditioning or heating is on the fritz). Family are usually allowed to come, but don't make it a family reunion. Definitely have one of them bring a camera.

3. I am also supposed to start weekend BMQ on January 9th, the Recruiting Officer said that it was from Fri-Sun. Now does this mean that I will be sleeping there for the whole weekend? Or will I go home every night and return in the morning? Also, is it every weekend, or only once a month like I have found some people saying in the forum?

You'll be sleeping there. Once you're enrolled you should be assigned to a superior (probably a MCpl) who can answer your questions about training (and there is no such thing as a stupid question).

Back