• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

General Question

Genge

Inactive
Reaction score
i have written my CFAT in Feb 2016, i did alright on it just passing the competitive line. i then did my interview and medical on March 3rd 2016. on May 27th 2016 was the last updated thing on my file which was a handed off to someone to review my file and put me up for merit listings. ive been waiting since then to be merit listed. i call every two weeks and they been noting my file for someone to look at my file and hopefully work on it, they also told me due to my financial issues (AKA owing money for my student loans and Credit card from school) that it may be a problem. my 3 Billets that i have chosen were (in order from first to last)

Armoured Soldier
Infantry
Combat Engineer

Questions
how much do you have to be in dept to be denied from the CF?
Can you even get denied from the CF from having 10000 in dept?
When do they Usually do Merit listings for those Billets and how frequently?

Thanks,
Genge

Good Day,

how much do you have to be in dept to be denied from the CF?
  There is no specific amount, it's the type of debt you have.  Having debt for a house, vehicle, student loans that you're paying off would not be negative debt.  Having a cable bill (or parking ticket) that is under $100.00 that you haven't paid off and is over due would be bad debt.  It's all a risk analysis that is completed by a Security team.

Can you even get denied from the CF from having 10000 in dept?
  Like above if it isn't negative debt you can still enrol, if it's negative debt it will be a problem.

When do they Usually do Merit listings for those Billets and how frequently?
  As soon as your file is completed (CFAT, medical, interview, security and required documents for enrolment) you are merit listed.  Being merit listed doesn't mean that you will be given an Offer of Employment.  After your file is on the Merit List you will be part of a Selection process that happens at pre-determined times (sometimes weekly, sometimes every other week) where the most competitive files from across Canada are selected to receive an Offer of Employment.

Best Regards,
Sgt Laen

okay that would explain why there is a note on my file for my student loan debt. but if im in the process of paying it of, like a payment plan, would i still get denied for it?

also how frequently do they do selections?

thanks
Genge

Good Day,

It would depend on if you were delinquent for your student loan, whether it's in good standing, have you negotiated a lower repayment plan, among several other possible factors.  As a recruiter we are qualified in explaining what is checked but we cannot tell you whether your security check will come back as favourable or not.  Honestly your best bet is to speak with the Recruiter / File Manager in charge of your file and ask why exactly your financial situation has caused an issue (if it's causing an issue).

As per the instructions in the "READ FIRST" thread:

Captain Mark said:
We will not answer questions about ... general inquires with regards to your current application or file. These questions can be asked here: http://forces.ca/en/page/contactus-73

As for frequency of selections it depends on the enrolment plan (ROTP, DEO, Unskilled, semi-skilled, etc), and occupation.  During certain times of year certain enrolment plans take priority and happen more frequently (e.g. during May/June ROTP is done on a weekly basis), NCM Unskilled are scheduled weekly right now but not all trades will be included in each selection.  There is a set schedule that the Selections Team uses.

Best Regards,
Sgt Laen

Back