• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

general questions from a civilian.

• Thread starter Thread starter freebody
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

freebody

I am a civilian and I am in love with tanks. My family called me tank as a baby and well now I'm in love with them. I want to drive shoot and build tanks but it seems the only way to do so is to join the CF, but everyone says that I am not suited for the CF and I would go nuts and snap and well get kicked out for sure. I have no idea how the CF really is besides what they tell you at the recruitment office which I would say seems like lies with a contract they insist on me signing. Please could someone tell me what it is like to be in the CF is it a whole lot of yelling in your face like full metal jacket because I really have no idea except from what friends say which I figure could not be possibly that bad but if that is the case I don't think I could take that for to long at all not to insult anyone, personally I figure if I try 110% and keep to myself I could avoid such trouble because or minimise it to a level I could handle and well I figure I could take a bit of yelling to drive a tank. Please do not laugh I am serious here I don't know what to expect and I don't want to join and get kicked out because I work really hard but I just know I really cant take disrespet well at all and I have proven this so many stupid time :-[ please help.
        Thanks Freebody

I got a question, how old are you?

Unfortunately, it seems that the gov't doesn't really want the CF to have actual tanks, and are looking to remove them from service sometime in the next few yrs.
But if you want to drive Armoured vehicles then there may still be a spot for you....

Look for the topic of your interest in the field, under Armour.

Unfourtunately yes, the CF is phasing out main battle tanks. LAV IIIs still look fun to drive, however.

To answer your question, no, the CF is not like Full Metal Jacket, but basic is mentally and physically demanding. A lot of people said I wouldn't make it, and I joined up to prove them wrong. If you've got your mind set on completing, no one will be able to stop you. Keeping to yourself is one way to make it, called being a greyman. Some find it the right way to go, others prefer to excel. The thing to keep in mind, is that if one person screws up, your platoon will be punished. However, everyone, even the keeners on the course, will screw up at least once, so don't let it get you down. You won't get kicked out if you pay attention, and do what your instructors tell you.

Good luck if you decide to join, finishing basic is a rewarding experience.

freebody said:
I have no idea how the CF really is besides what they tell you at the recruitment office which I would say seems like lies with a contract they insist on me signing.

Hi Freebody

No, the recruiting office is there to help get you started in the CF career of your choice. They don't lie and will go to great Lengths to assist you in making good choices for yourself. Bare in mind though you may have to wait a little longer for the trade you want to open up but we've all been through it ourselves.

I'm sure you're aware that there are some people who post here who would have you believe that things are other than they really are and that you are treaded badly etc. Please be aware of those who would "steer you off course" in this regard.

Please do not hesitate to PM one of the senior members of the board with any questions you may have. Personally I would stay with asking the seniors here as you may not know enough aboutthe service yet to tell good advice from bad.

Take care and hope to hear from you soon

Slim :cdn:

I am 22 year old welder fabricator from surrey with no tickets but I have trained myself and I know all there is to know and have the experience to pass all the tests with any type of alloy/steel aluminum but unfortunately on Jan 1 03 I was stabbed to death fighting with 3 guys at a party and now the bills for saving my life have made it so I cant go to school or anything and I need a change but I am stuck between a rock and a hard place and I want to do something which is a little less me vs the world which is the way I live on a day to day basis,Trust no one but it sound like the CF may be alright for me but I am shocked to here that tanks are on the way out Canada wins the national competition almost every year against the Americans whats up with that :'("can I buy one with a car loan :D,How long do you have to sign up for and what type of armoured vehicles can I drive and maintain and how do I go about meeting my goals is it a long shot or can I go right at it?I would even like to do welding but what types of thing do you weld in the CF I just don't see any info for welders anywhere.
Thanks Freebody

You will probably have a hard time passing the medical and getting cleared from Borden if you were stabbed to death

freebody said:
How long do you have to sign up for and what type of armoured vehicles can I drive and maintain and how do I go about meeting my goals is it a long shot or can I go right at it?I would even like to do welding but what types of thing do you weld in the CF I just don't see any info for welders anywhere.

Just a couple of things, if you want to get into maintaining the vehicles (other than driver's maintenance) you will want to look at the EME trades (vehicle tech, weapons tech, FCS tech and material tech).  Welders in the CF are material technicians.

freebody said:
unfortunately on Jan 1 03 I was stabbed to death fighting with 3 guys at a party

Wow!  Which one of them delivered the fatal blow?  So, I guess that answers my question...I KNEW there was a direct link to the afterworld via the internet.  Can you please pass a message to God for me.  Tell him he rocks, but stop setting me up with losers!  ;)

Trades you may ask your recruiter about...

011 Armoured Crewman ( drives, guns, operates armoured vehicles)
441 Materials Technician (the Army's welder sewer, maker, fixer)
321  Hull Tech (navy version of mat tech)
565  Aircraft Structures Technician (air force version, works on airplanes)

Go sooner then later...the more you delay, the longer until you acutally get in.

well I'm not dead so medical should be the least of my problems ;)what I meant was that I was flat lined for a few minutes than on life support for a few days.my point was that I was going to School for my welding c ticket but I was forced to drop out Du to technical difficulties ;)and now I have to find alternative methods of reching my goals IE the CF. What is the general driving maintenance?
PS I don't know which one it was but if I met him I would have told him the same thing....Women these days if I had hair I would pull it out ;)

what do they do with a medical exam,one of my sinuses is fractured and I had a bunch of holes in my lungs and one in my heart but I ride a bike to work everyday and I work out and my breathing is not a problem just breathing throw the one side of my nose is a problem and my blood pressure is fine. would they not let me in for theses reasons or is it present or lifetime disabilities they don't let you in for.because I cant just not tell them about it.
Freebody

Please go through some of the posts on this site.

recruitment medical: http://army.ca/forums/threads/18298.0.html

Holding back info. on your medical test     --   http://army.ca/forums/threads/13190.0

PLEASE READ BEFORE STARTING A NEW THREAD!- http://army.ca/forums/threads/17073.0.html

The answers for the questions you seek are hidden in these pages, young ninjasniper. :salute:

thanks so much for all the help it really helps a lot I not sure but I want to join way more then ever even if there is no tanks.
Most respect goes out to all of you.
  Thanks Freebody

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back