• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

generic wash basin vs. issued one

thorbahn

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I wasn't able to get a wash basin issued to me at my home unit before I go away for summer, (SQ + DP1 Arty), I was wondering if I'd get away with any ol' stainless steel metal dish/bowl. Thanks.

A better question would be, do you need it at all? Depends how strict your course staff is. When we went out on our field ex everyone brough them because we were all taught to pack them into our sleeping bag valise on our rucksack, but we never bothered to dig them out. A MCpl told us that 'you'll rarely if ever need to shave in the field while on course.' However, it's still part of your kitlist, so you would be safest bringing a stainless steel mixing bowl (8 or 9 inches across I think) just in case of a kit check.

Or....you could take what you were issued (obviously less a wash basin) and when you get to course,  you can honestly reply that you were not issued one.  The clothing docs are now electronic, and if I'm not mistaken, they (supply where you take your course) can see yours and that you really weren't.  Then, if they want you to have a wash basin, it will be issued to you.  I think that would be a better option than showing up with a mixing bowl in your bag.  Just my opinion though.

I forgot about that electronic database they have on us...beach_bum is right. If you need it and you don't have it, they'll find out, and get it for you.

Shaving is a part of daily hygiene routine, whether you are deployed in the field or garrison.

When you arrive on your course you should be asked what kit you are deficient.

And Mr. Krystal your MCpl should  be jacked up for not teaching or promoting proper field hygiene.You always shave in the field.

Washbasin?  Use your canteen cup....

mover1 said:
And Mr. Krystal your MCpl should   be jacked up for not teaching or promoting proper field hygiene.You always shave in the field.

Duly noted, I'll pass it along  :)

Infanteer said:
Washbasin?   Use your canteen cup....

Wow...why didn't I think of that? Fits so much better in my rucksack.

I used that little plastic cup they issued us and had to hand back in. The washbasin never got used. and I really like the canteen cup because it is much easier to pull out, wash out and put back.

Cheers!
-Buzz

Pte D. Krystal said:
Wow...why didn't I think of that? Fits so much better in my rucksack.

Fits even better in your canteen pouch on the tac vest.

BKells said:
Fits even better in your canteen pouch on the tac vest.

I wish it were that easy, but mine's bent out of shape. I'd replace it, but I go on course tomorrow...

So..does anyone think I could make out just fine not bringing my generic metal bowl?

it's a little deep, not that big of a diameter (8-9 inches max) so it doesn't fit very well in the top of the valise.

PM ME

I have collasable washbasins....

best field kit.. ever

ok ..maybe not ever

Trinity said:
PM ME

I have collasable washbasins....

best field kit.. ever

ok ..maybe not ever

Does anyone care to speculate why these are not issued?  The SS washbasin is a really dumb piece of kit.  One would never pack it in a real world situation.  The sleeping/ground pad is another.  It should be in a couple of different sizes.  You only really need it to reach to your hips.  So it could be 3/4 to 1/2 the size; it doesn't have to be full length.

LF(CMO) said:

Does anyone care to speculate why these are not issued?   The SS washbasin is a really dumb piece of kit.   One would never pack it in a real world situation.   The sleeping/ground pad is another.   It should be in a couple of different sizes.   You only really need it to reach to your hips.   So it could be 3/4 to 1/2 the size; it doesn't have to be full length.

The full length one is rather nice to have on winter ex's.

"The full length one is rather nice to have on winter ex's".

Yea, you're right on that.

Back