• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

GGHC recce unit in the City of the Kawartha Lakes

tlg

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm posting this because, well I thought it kinda funny (you'll see when you finish readin it).

Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act - http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/info/act-e.html#rid-33409

//EDIT:
The Lindsay Daily post
http://www.thepost.ca/webapp/sitepages/content.asp?contentid=237836&catname=Local+News&classif=News+%2D+Local
//EditEnd
[pre]Military moving around Lindsay

Jason Bain
Local News - Friday, October 20, 2006 @ 09:00

Don't be alarmed if you see gun-toting soldiers and military vehicles on roads around Lindsay this weekend.

Today through Sunday, the Toronto-based Governor General's Horse Guards reconnaissance unit will be using rural roads to the north and west of Lindsay for routine training exercises.

Soldiers will be practising vehicle and foot patrols, reacting to roadside incendiary explosive devices, and conducting enemy observation, said Capt. Aaron Paronuzzi.

In all, about 70 soldiers and 20 vehicles will be training in the area, although they will rarely be all together, aside from maybe Friday, Paronuzzi said.

Soldiers will be carrying weapons, but will not have ammunition.

Although the regiment will be using secondary roads to limit contact with vehicular traffic, Paronuzzi said the regiment welcomes questions and actually encourages the public to approach them.

The only time soldiers might not have much time to talk is if they are completing a timed task.

The area used will be within about 20 kilometres west of town and 15 km north of town, the captain noted.

The main vehicle used will be the military's relatively new G-Wagon, a Jeep, as well as other logistics vehicles.

Troops will be completing familiarization training, running drills and performing route reconnaissance for a large part of Saturday, Paronuzzi said.

On Sunday, soldiers will be completing reconnaissance tasks with an opposition force - in this case, soldiers dressed in different gear - with the intent not to simulate combat but to practise maintaining observation and reporting information.

The Governor General's Horse Guards are actually the amalgamation of the Governor General's Body Guard and Mississauga Horse, which happened in 1936.

The history of the units dates back as far as the mid-1800s.

To learn more about the Army Reserve, you can visit the website situated at www.army.ca.

jbain@thepost.ca

The training is going around my hometown. I'll post a picture that came with the paper later today when I have a chance.

(Anyone else find their mistake?)

reacting to roadside incendiary explosive devices,

Not it, Just a tiny mistake (although that is one of possible many), I think I should email the man responsible and thank him for the advertising.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
reacting to roadside incendiary explosive devices,
Yep.  This is also funny:
tlg said:
To learn more about the Army Reserve, you can visit the website situated at www.army.ca

I'm emailing them right now thanking them for the advertisement. I also want to send them the PROPER reserves link. Anyone here know it?

Sig_Des said:
Try this one:

http://www.army.dnd.ca/GGHG

I told him to "either go to the recruiters (in this case the Hastings Prince Edward Regiment based at the Armouries in Peterborough) or to visit www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/army_reserve.asp.

In retrospect, I should listed teh GGHC site as well.

Back