• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Going to CSOR

Alex22

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey. Im actually at the 1stR22R, and I was thinking about going to CSOR, I was just wondering about one thing. I really like my job, but I know that if I stay in a inf. coy too long I wont love it anymore. Im in post deployment and volunteered for 2009. But as I see the new C Coy being built, I just feel there are few ppl in here that I actually want to go to A-stan with. Maybe its just the fact that i worked with the same 30 and so guys for 8 months and now I just feel the new Coy is not as fit as the old one but I think its about time for me to aim higher. I am pretty confident in my infantry skills even if I still got PLENTY of things to learn. I have very few qualifications and im Pvt. 3 Right now. At first I wanted to wait and get my PARA and RECCE course, and also gunner and other usefull course but if I do that I'll probably end up waiting way too long and change my mind. Im also in pretty good shape and I know i can make it through the PT test without any problems. The only thing Im concerned about is the social part of being in the CSOR. I got a girlfriend and to be honest, even if I really love my job I wont put my relation with her in the balance and I just wanna know if its possible to have some sort of social life in the CSOR, beside the fact that i'll be based at Pet... lol.
Anyways, if anybody got any kind of advice for me it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Alex22, your family life will be affected a fair deal if you head out to the CSOR.  For your 5-6 month course you will have little contact other than on weekends if you are afforded that time off and following the course you will get a short break and then jump right back into the throws of training again, whether it is further upgrade training or preparation for a deployment.  That being said, there is a decent family support network within the Regiment and they have their own MFRC rep who is responsive to the members of the Regiment and their families.  I am certain that this was briefed when a rep went to your unit in Quebec.  The unit maintains a very hight tempo and if you enjoy soldiering it's certainly the place to be but you will need to find the balance between family and soldiering.  If you are in a new relationship, I would expect that you will find it difficult to build on that, but many other guys have managed and continue to do so.  Only you can make that decision.

I hope that helps.

Alex22,
I know a few of the guys there. They are busy, and often gone. If you are more worried about being home, getting married and starting a family, vs. your soldiering career, then coming to Pet is not for you. Then again it is not much worse than anywhere else in the army, but at least there you know you are working with a group of good troops.

As for the courses you want to do, the operators from CSOR have the opportunity to go onto those courses and several more. Where you are right now in your career is a great time to move over to CANSOF whether its with CSOR or JTF.

If you are truly interested give the recruiters in Pet a call and ask talk to them. I am sure there are a couple troops who wear your same capbadge who can talk to you about the unit.

Alex22 said:
Hey. Im actually at the 1stR22R, and I was thinking about going to CSOR, I was just wondering about one thing. I really like my job, but I know that if I stay in a inf. coy too long I wont love it anymore. Im in post deployment and volunteered for 2009. But as I see the new C Coy being built, I just feel there are few ppl in here that I actually want to go to A-stan with. Maybe its just the fact that i worked with the same 30 and so guys for 8 months and now I just feel the new Coy is not as fit as the old one but I think its about time for me to aim higher. I am pretty confident in my infantry skills even if I still got PLENTY of things to learn. I have very few qualifications and im Pvt. 3 Right now. At first I wanted to wait and get my PARA and RECCE course, and also gunner and other usefull course but if I do that I'll probably end up waiting way too long and change my mind. Im also in pretty good shape and I know i can make it through the PT test without any problems. The only thing Im concerned about is the social part of being in the CSOR. I got a girlfriend and to be honest, even if I really love my job I wont put my relation with her in the balance and I just wanna know if its possible to have some sort of social life in the CSOR, beside the fact that i'll be based at Pet... lol.
Anyways, if anybody got any kind of advice for me it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Hey Alex, I know this is an old thread..but maybe you still check it from time to time...I am in the same situation as you and I think that the information here has been pretty much clarified. I have just decided that I do not want to continue in University as it is not working out for me, I have broken up with my GF and I currently have been living alone for about 3 years. I will be devoting myself to the Army, and seeing as it will be my career, I want to get into a Unit that will use all of my applied skills at any given time.I can tell you from experience that you will need a REALLY devoted gf/wife. As for courses, my plan is to get my SQ, BIQ, IPSWQ, Driver Wheel and whatever else I can take within the next continous months. The only way you can get through stuff like that is to devote everything you have for it,I just learned the hard way and now I am changed. Also I think a combat tour would do you good and they will probably like that, add it as a bonus. The more qualified, the better I say! GL

Thanks for the reply, I wasnt actually checking out at all on this topic but I got an email because you quoted me. My GF just recently broke up with me, after wainting for me on my first tour in 2006,
things were not always going as expected for both of us, and since im going out again with the POMLT in 2009, she decided she'd had enough, not even knowing if waiting for me again would be worth it, and she droped it with some class unlike some girls who drop their BF in such an horrible way that you only hear those stories in the army,
and after the year and a half we spent together going out of that relation is not as easy as I first touthg it would be. I used to think that if id become single I'd try to join de CSOR or the JTF2... now
I kinda changed my mind.  I still have everything here, even though I lost what was more valuable in my life, everything for me is here, I love my job so much... but I also want to have a life beside the army. I just went to wainwright for Maple Guardian, and there I talked with a few guys playing the ANP role, they were out of the tour right after mine, not voluteering for the next one, and some of them had kids... and they had been there for 2 months and a half. Now I know want that kind of life. Im gonna do as much for my country as I can in the shortest timescale possible and then get the hell out of there before I get stuck in a world where family life can never be at the top of the list. Of course it has been 4 days now since I am signle and I might see things differentlly in 2 months or 2 years, but that is how I see it now.

Alex22 said:
Not to be a bringer of bad news, but what I bolded suggests to me that you may not be a good candidate for CSOR. Might change your mind in the future? An application process isn't several days.

You do know that this thread has been dead for five months and he did say he's not interested in going that route right? Just trying to clarify,

MPF

Back