• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Got nothing to say?!

John Nayduk

Inactive
Reaction score
I have a hard time believing that a bunch of black hatters have nothing to say. With everything going on in the Corp (new turrets for the Leopards, new Recce vehicle, other people‘s toys, etc.) we‘ve been too quiet! I know, better to let people think you‘re a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt. How about this. I wonder what happened to the hulls that held the "new" turrets that we bought for our leopards? They were sent over here because it was cheaper for the Germans than to build shipping stands for them. I wonder what happened to the "old" turrets? What if the "old" turrets were put on the "German turret stands" and used to train the militia Amoured regiments? Are any out there that can be used as "armoury guards"? See you in Gagetown in July.
:tank:

I have a hard time believing that a bunch of black hatters have nothing to say. With everything going on in the Corp (new turrets for the Leopards, new Recce vehicle, other people‘s toys, etc.) we‘ve been too quiet! I know, better to let people think you‘re a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt. How about this. I wonder what happened to the hulls that held the "new" turrets that we bought for our leopards? They were sent over here because it was cheaper for the Germans than to build shipping stands for them. I wonder what happened to the "old" turrets? What if the "old" turrets were put on the "German turret stands" and used to train the militia Amoured regiments? Are any out there that can be used as "armoury guards"? See you in Gagetown in July.

AFAIK, and this is from a 1999 issue of Canadian Defence Quarterly, the aprox. 125 Leo-1A5 turrets were purchased from the German army through Krauss Maffrei. The deal was rather complex. It involved the CF actually purchasing the entire tank, but only taking delivery of the turrets. The 1A5 hulls were kept by KM and Canada was issued credits to be used for unspecified future purchases from KM (perhaps towards the applique armour packages, or for Leo 1 parts?).

The extra 1A5 turrets not used on active tanks were to become static simulators for training. The deal also required a reprogramming of the FC software to match the different guns used by our Leos, so the original 1A5 guns from Germany were not retained (according to this article). I am not sure what happened to the C-1 turrets. Probably scrapped.

Overall, I think we would have been better off just buying Leo-2. The government spent some 145 million on this "upgrade". I doubt that a used Leo-2 goes for much more than 1 million a piece, so theorectically, we may have been able to obtain some 145 newer tanks for the same price. Hell, the Germans had a good stock of them in Canada already. They had to pay to ship them back to Germany when the left Shilo. The Canadian government should have pressed them to leave the Leo-2s here for some sort of deal, rather than pursuing this confusing and questionably valuable Leo 1 upgrade. Sheesh!

Regards,

Nate

Gentlemen,

The C1 turrets were sold to Australia, for use as spare parts. The items remaining were sold here for scrap.

Yours,
Jock in Sydney

So what you are saying is that this is a weapons system made from pieces parts. Sounds to me like someone is doing some dealing behind the back. I would also question as to the reliability of this new "system". Someone in Ottawa needs to answer the question of why they bought the whole tank, but didn‘t get all the pieces. This deal doesn‘t make ANY sense, monetarily, tactically, or even logically. Maybe someone could shed some light on this?

quote:"This deal doesn‘t make ANY sense, monetarily, tactically, or even logically"

To Briar and others not familiar with it, It is known as;

The "Canadian Way"

MLVW, LSVW, St Jean, Iltis, the Airborne, Grizzlies, 16 day QL2, CFRC, CFRET, NDHQ,.... don‘t get me started.

Gentlemen, (and Ladies)
Sorry, but this will probably turn into another political rant, but we‘ll ( check other posts for the reason we use plurality) try to stick to the subject. Black Hatters don‘t complain! Her you go. Specifically, the turrets. From good authourity. They were lifted from seviceable hulls. The remaining hulls are sitting in Quebec at the War Stock facility. This facility was put in place as a political appeasement during the 70‘s, for Quebec. Most, if not all of our surplus equiptment, is stored there. In case the of a 50% +1 vote for separation (not independance) is achieved, what are our chances of getting this equiptment back? None. Plain and simple. This is just another typical example of "the petite gars de shawinigan" and his overblown sense of authourity towards the Canadian people. Quebec is slowly, but surely taking control of our War Stock and facilities that have been moved to "la Belle Provience". When the vote comes and R22R decides their alliegence, Quebec will have more equipment than the rest of Canada. Try and take it back, won‘t happen through politics, their all Quebecois! All our vehs have been produced by Bombardier, or most (stated emphatically). Any others have been political plums to some retiring politicians riding (let‘s look at Kim Campbell and the LSVW). Our pilot programme, for flyers is not CF, but Bombardier( when did Bombardier ever fly in combat?) teaches our pilots to fly with THEIR supplied planes.The MLVW, bought and paid for by the public, Bombardier was given free, prime real estate to build this veh, when the contract ended they tore down the plant, kept the land,(they still own it) and used it, and still do, for a tax write off to the Liberal gov‘t that gave it to them. The piece of **** Iltis (before you bitch, I‘ve got 1000‘s of km‘s in both seats.) everyone raves about (used the German one in Germany), was a good vehicle till Bombardier got the contract. Built to the lowest specs to satisfy the Germans and then sent Canadian soldiers to war( and let‘s not kid ourselves about Bosnia, Somolia, et al) in the wanker. So long as they recieved their approx $32,000 a copy in 1985 dollars. We‘re getting screwed, blued and tattooed, minute by minute. (By the way, have I mentioned the CEO of Bombardier is the PM‘s son in law!) They will hold all of the facilities, crown assets and holdings over our heads, then use our own equipmennt, that WE bought against us!!! Time to get someone in parliment to move all this stuff out west where it‘s safe and belongs. We‘d rather be paranoid and wrong, than wrong and sorry!

Sorry only because I knew I‘d get carried away! :mad:

Back