• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Harlan Ellison, sci-fi writer has passed away

Retired AF Guy

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Harlan Ellison, one of the great sci-fi writer's has passed away at 84.

Harlan Ellison Dies: Legendary ‘A Boy And His Dog’ Sci-Fi Writer was 84

Greg Evans 

Harlan Ellison, one of the world’s foremost science fiction writers, has died at 84. His death was announced by a family friend via twitter.

“Susan Ellison has asked me to announce the passing of writer Harlan Ellison, in his sleep, earlier today. “For a brief time I was here, and for a brief time, I matter.’ – HE, 1934-2018. Arrangements for a celebration are pending.”

Among Ellison’s highly influential and very popular novels and novellas are 1969’s post-apocalyptic A Boy and His Dog (made into a 1975 cult film starring a young Don Johnson) and, among the very many short story collections, 1980’s Shatterday, which included the remarkable title story.

Among Ellison’s Hollywood work was the screenplay for the non-sci-fi The Oscar, starring Stephen Boyd, and he also wrote for such TV shows as The Flying Nun, Route 66, The Outer Limits, Star Trek and The Alfred Hitchcock Hour.

Ellison’s Star Trek episode, The City on the Edge of Forever, is often cited as among the original series’ very best. Ellison himself was no fan of the end result, though, often complaining about rewrites.

The writer also was a creative consultant to both the 1980s Twilight Zone reboot and Babylon 5.

Article Link

I remember watching the movie "A Boy and his Dog" at a theater years ago and laughing my head off. Some of his other work ranged from meh to pretty amazing.

A Boy and his Dog

His Dangerous Visions anthologies are pure gold - I have original (first print) hardback editions of both.  And of course I have No Mouth But Must Scream was ground-breaking.

He will truly be missed - but his stories deserve a re-read.

Back