• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Harry Morgan (Col Potter from M*A*S*H*) dies at 96

PMedMoe

Army.ca Legend
Donor
Reaction score
Article Link

Harry Morgan, the prolific character actor best known for playing the acerbic but kindly Colonel Potter in the long-running television series “M*A*S*H,” died Wednesday morning at his home in Los Angeles. He was 96. His son Charles confirmed his death, saying Mr. Morgan had been treated for pneumonia recently.

In more than 100 movies, Mr. Morgan played Western bad guys, characters with names like Rocky and Shorty, loyal sidekicks, judges, sheriffs, soldiers, thugs and police chiefs.

On television, he played Officer Bill Gannon with a phlegmatic but light touch to Jack Webb’s always-by-the-book Sgt. Joe Friday in the updated “Dragnet,” from 1967 to 1970. He starred as Pete Porter, a harried husband, in the situation comedy “Pete and Gladys” (1960-62), reprising a role he had played on “December Bride” (1954-59). He was also a regular on “The Richard Boone Show” (1963-64), “Kentucky Jones” (1964-65), “The D.A.” (1971-72), “Hec Ramsey” (1972-74) and “Blacke’s Magic” (1986).But to many fans he was first and foremost Col. Sherman T. Potter, commander of the 4077th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital unit in Korea. With a wry smile, flat voice and sharp humor, Mr. Morgan played Colonel Potter from 1975 to 1983, when “M*A*S*H” went off the air. He replaced McLean Stevenson, who had quit the series, moving into the role on the strength of his performance as a crazed major general in an early episode.

More at link

RIP, Harry.

Thank you for all the laughs, Harry.  You'll be missed.  :salute:

R.I.P. Sherm....
392384961_40d689e6d7.jpg

Awww  crap.!!  One of my fave sitcom actors. He will be sorely missed no doubt. 

RIP Sherm....

Remember the wacky General he played first? thank god they gave him a better role. RIP

my72jeep said:
Remember the wacky General he played first? thank god they gave him a better role. RIP

It actually mentions that in the article:

He replaced McLean Stevenson, who had quit the series, moving into the role on the strength of his performance as a crazed major general in an early episode.

I'll always remember his singing - whether it be on horseback, shaving or watching Sydney's pants burn in a bonfire...

"Keep the Home Fires Burning,
    While your hearts are yearning.
    Though your lads are far away
    They dream of home.
    There's a silver lining
    Through the dark clouds shining,
    Turn the dark cloud inside out
    'Til the boys come home..."

RIP.

Don't forget he was in Dragnet as well...but most of us remember him from M*A*S*H.  RIP  :salute:.

MM

And 15 years ago (or so) he was arrested for beating his wife.

I always hoped there would eb a MASH reunion movie, figured it would be bassed on funeral, well I guess there will not any  reunions anytime soon.
I enjoyed Harry  Morgan as an actor, he always added something special to the movie or the show as the character he protrayed.
Guess He will be riding off in to the sunset now on Sophie

While we remember Harry Morgan the most for his portrayal of Col. Potter, the man starred in dozens of movies/TVshows during his career. One of his characters I remember the most was the sheriff who clashes with John Wayne in his last film, The Shootist. And trying not to date myself, I liked him as Officer Bill "Just the Facts Ma'am" Gannon in Dragnet. (Hmm, might have to go down to the video store and rent the videos). One of his earliest starring roles was in the Oxbow Incident, (also starring Henry Fonda, Dana Andrews and Anthony Quinn) a stinging indictment of vigilantism. Anyone espousing taking the law into their hands should watch it. The Oxbow Incident, by-the-way, was made in 1943.

Back