• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hearing Loss Policies and Ear Protection

Gunner98

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
Since the former thread has been considered closed by a Mod due to all of the unnecessary yelling and screaming.  I would like to set a few things IMHO "clear".  Comments like the following are not correct or :

"It doesn't matter what Civvie policies and processes say - you are not in a civilian occupation when you are firing a howitzer!!!"

Civie policies such as the Canadian Labour Code do apply to safety of individuals yes even in military training. What happens once the OpFor shoots back had better be handled quickly and with few questions. 

How much experience or deafness makes any of us an expert is open to discussion.

Look around a Legion or Army reunion sor even a unit canteen ome time and see the Cbt Arms members and retirees with Hearing Aids.  In fact more and more of us still in uniform need them and actually wear them at work and play.

Ear plugs would be fine for a slute but prolonged exposure requires more and consistent protection.  14 years in the Guns - I used everyting from fingers to palms, to plugs and muffs.  I can't recall ever wearing any of them when I was inspected after a saulte.

The appropriate protection and drills are taken care of through rehearsals and selection of pers for the salute troop. 

I used everyting from fingers to palms, to plugs and muffs
cigarette butts?  :D
(Disclaimer: No troops, they don't really work that well. Pack extra plugs in your vest.)

The same goes if you are doing an "ERO" (Engines Running On/Off Load) with a Herc. Invest in proper protection and I dont mean Trojans.

Back