• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Help identifying a reflex sight

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Can someone help me identify what type of sight this is (or one reasonably like it) found mounting on top this Elcan  DR?

reflexsitelp6.jpg

reflexsite2ba2.jpg

For some reason I have the name Tricom stuck in my head but I haven't found anything named as such.
I'd like to pick up one of the little guys up.

Thanks

OK guys, being a "dinosaur" what does that sight do? I need to know........thanks!

Well, I can't see the picture, but I can tell you what a good reflex sight is supposed to do.

It is supposed to be quicker to use in CQB situations.  It allows you to fire with both eyes open.  It has little or no parrallax and does not require you to take up a "proper" sight picture.  Just put the dot on what you want to die and squeeze rounds till it drops.  You still have to zero it though.

If it is the one I'm thinking of, like COBRA-6 says it is, it is the little fella that can be mounted on top of an ACOG.  That would give you the ability to do snap shoots in CQB using the reflex sight and also engage at distance using the ACOG.  Nifty.

Yeah it's a Doctor Optical I am like 95% sure anyway. I would have to have access to work to say 100% sure.

It is a Dr Optic -- its part and parcel of the SOPMOD Block II sights (ACOG and Spectre DR)

There you have it we all agree, it's a Doc Opt. I have heard good things ref this sight as well.

Good call on the Dr Optic.

$500 sight on a $2000 sight, that's pretty pricey heh

Infidel6, would one of those be fairly easy to mount yourself or would someone need a gunsmith?

DSC00328.jpg

You need the USSOC version of the sight -- and then it screws right in.

Flawed- good luck getting it on one of the issued Elcans.

PM inbound.

I don't get it.

A quick google of the ELCAN Spectre DR has informed me that this particular sight can switch from 1x to 4x by a simple throw lever. I get that part - variable magnification seems to be the way of the future of AR sights.

By why throw a Dr. Optic on it? Isn't a 1x CCO redundant on this particular sight?

http://www.elcan.com/ELCAN_Business_Areas/Sighting_Systems/Products/Day_Sights/SpecterDR.php

The DR is not a reflex sight, the Doc Op is a fast sight used for CQB type engagements, whereas the DR though even a variable 1-4x is a good sight it takes time and proper eye relife to aquire the sight picture for a CQB engament. You get where I am going with that?

Reflex sight is a term used for open window CCO's.

Actually the Dr O was added sicne the Spectre sufferes from horrible zero shift when flipped from 1-4x and back.  Nice when the unit is new then like all Elcan products the thing shits the bed, and as such they leave the system on 4x and use the DR O -- which of course means your carrying a heavy hunk of junk for no reason.  If the 1x red dot worked as well as advertised it would be a great sight.

The scope is crap. Or well I I guess I should say it is surpased by other sights - the NigthForce 1-4 and the S&B ShortDot in that family, and practically as well by the TA31DOC.

The concept is ideal -- however the execution has not made up for it.

The problem you get with adding a piggy back sight (and I have tried this on the ACOG series after witnessing the FBI HRT and some other unit try this with the early TA01NSN ACOG's - is that ypu get two different cheekwelds - and under stress your muscle memory will kick you to one -- not the other - usually the 4x glass rather than the 1x CCO.

Did I mention I prefer the Short Dot...

I get where you're going with that.

I just seems like the benefits - not having to worry about parralax or eye relief - don't justify the downsides - training your muscle memory to choose between a high riding Dr Optic or your regular sight. Getting used to two different head positions might be worthwhile if you're using a Dr Optic with a fixed magnification ACOG, but is it really necessary with a Spectre DR or an S&B shortdot? If you've decided that you want a Dr Optic, then why bother with a variable magnification scope anyways? When would you use the 1x setting on the DR when you have your Dr Optic doing the close in work?

Like I said, it seems redundant.

***EDIT***

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Thanks I-6

I've heard they use the doctor sight alongside the spectreDR because it loses zero between switching from 1x-4x, so they keep the spectre on 4x and use the reflex for short distance shooting.

Karl87 said:
I've heard they use the doctor sight alongside the spectreDR because it loses zero between switching from 1x-4x, so they keep the spectre on 4x and use the reflex for short distance shooting.

Care to tell us where you heard that? 'I heard' is nothing much to go on.

It would be helpful if you'd fill out your profile a bit too. Such contributions are useless if we don't know who's making them. We don't need name, rank, service number, but a look at a few people's profiles will give you an idea of what's expected. An idea of a person's background is very useful in judging the merit of their opinions- that's what keeps this place running so smoothly, and what keeps it useful to those of us still on the low end of the 'time in' scale. Thanks.

Back