• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How difficult is it to switch occupations while at RMC?

DeadGods

Reaction score
Apologies if this should be in the recruiting process section.

I'm doing the CFAST soon and I'm worried about failing it. I did the exact same thing with my CFAT. I didn't think I'd even get my desired occupation of infanteer but ended up qualifying for piloting, so my worries may be unfounded. However, I can't help but plan for all outcomes.

In the case I do fail but get accepted to RMC for another occupation, how difficult would it be to redo the CFAST next year and switch back to piloting?

It's not the end of the world if I end up in another occupation as I'm happy to have a job to begin with, but I'd like to do whatever I can to get one I'm interested in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

After enrolling and signing a contract in a different trade? Quite difficult/unlikely.

I'm doing the CFAST soon and I'm worried about failing it. I did the exact same thing with my CFAT. I didn't think I'd even get my desired occupation of infanteer but ended up qualifying for piloting, so my worries may be unfounded. However, I can't help but plan for all outcomes.

In the case I do fail but get accepted to RMC for another occupation, how difficult would it be to redo the CFAST next year and switch back to piloting?

It's not the end of the world if I end up in another occupation as I'm happy to have a job to begin with, but I'd like to do whatever I can to get one I'm interested in.

Whatever your choices are, ask yourself if you can see yourself doing it for up to a decade or more. Do not join the CAF thinking that you can change trades early on.

That being said, I do know of some folks switching while at RMC. It is not common.

Whatever your choices are, ask yourself if you can see yourself doing it for up to a decade or more. Do not join the CAF thinking that you can change trades early on.

That being said, I do know of some folks switching while at RMC. It is not common.
good point. A lot of the trades interest me and I believe I'll be content working most of them. Thanks

Occupation Transfers for untrained members (VOT-U) are normally restricted to certain trades. It is normally possible to switch to an "in-demand" trade, but not a highly competitive trade like Pilot, or Intelligence Officer.

Occupation Transfers for untrained members (VOT-U) are normally restricted to certain trades. It is normally possible to switch to an "in-demand" trade, but not a highly competitive trade like Pilot, or Intelligence Officer.
intelligence officer is my 2nd choice, so that's convenient. Thank you for the info.

Would you mind if I ask what CFAT score you needed to qualify for pilot training (if you know and don't mind sharing)?

There's a new policy that says you have to complete 12 months of service before you can apply for VOT just fyi.

There's a new policy that says you have to complete 12 months of service before you can apply for VOT just fyi.
Good to know, thank you.

I would most likely be doing several years Res before (possibly) requesting to change to Reg. (Several years on a part-time Reserve schedule, mind - so including training courses that may only total 6-8 months of work)

Back