• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I Need Some Panning Assistance with COSR

Jimmy Newtron

Inactive
Reaction score
Currently I am a 3rd year Psyc Student. I have goals of taking on a MD in the future. I am a hard worker with very passionate views about my future. I am also 20 years of age as of 2015.

I want to serve a few years in the military if not make it a career with my MD later in the future. I specifically want to work with CSOR. Before we get sidetracked I will let you know that I will do everything I can to make it into CSOR. & I want to be an Operator.

I am just wondering how I should go about starting my Military training/career. I have buddies in the Forces telling me to join PRES and get all the BMQ and training out of the way that way. during my last year of school. During PRES I want to do as much courses as I can to speed up my qualifications and overall pre req courses. I plan on becoming a Medical Technician.

I assume that a Medical Technician is the new "MEDIC" in the CAF. I choose MEDTECH Because It relates to my personal goals, and will help me in the civilian life afterwards for pursuing my MD.

Before this thread gets confusing with all my goals and want to dos... I just want an overlay of what you guys think is the best route to take. The goal to reach is... CSOR Operator (MEDIC if possible)

I appreciate all your input

Medics are close supporters, not operators. So you're going to have to pick what you want to do. Don't waste yours or the CAFs time with the PRes. You'll barely get BMQ done, and since you're untrained your CT could end up a low priority. Make sure you meet the prereqs for med tech, lots of info here on what you require. Apply RegF in your last year, it's going to take a while and you can focus on school while you wait.

CSOR is a great long term goal, but don't get caught up trying to make every course a stepping stone to get there. Focus on being a team player, and the best medic you can be, before applying.

PuckChaser said:
Medics are close supporters, not operators. So you're going to have to pick what you want to do. Don't waste yours or the CAFs time with the PRes. You'll barely get BMQ done, and since you're untrained your CT could end up a low priority. Make sure you meet the prereqs for med tech, lots of info here on what you require. Apply RegF in your last year, it's going to take a while and you can focus on school while you wait.

CSOR is a great long term goal, but don't get caught up trying to make every course a stepping stone to get there. Focus on being a team player, and the best medic you can be, before applying.

Is there not a medic role in the operators? I always assumed there would be? or do Operators all have medical qualifications under their belt? in all honestly. I want to join as an operator and serve for at least 8-10 years. during my 20s.

but afterwards or if not later on in life. go through and do something medical related? so is it possible that I do medical technician now... CT to operator.. and afterwards CT back to medical tech?

I think what PuckChaser is trying to say is focus yourself on one thing at a time. First you need to see if you will even be accepted into the military. Start there. Then as PuckChaser said focus on your trade. You will need to be top notch being a medic if you choose that with CSOR. You have many years ahead of you before you can even try out for CSOR so focus yourself on getting in and go from there.

Not to hijack the post (it kind of ties in here, a little at least...) and also not to be too nit-picky, but for a 3rd year university student earning a masters degree, ithomasleejr's grammar and sentence structure really needs work...

ithomasleejr said:
Is there not a medic role in the operators? I always assumed there would be? or do Operators all have medical qualifications under their belt? in all honestly. I want to join as an operator and serve for at least 8-10 years. during my 20s.

but afterwards or if not later on in life. go through and do something medical related? so is it possible that I do medical technician now... CT to operator.. and afterwards CT back to medical tech?

during my 20s. but afterwards or if not later on in life.

Try to gather your thoughts in your head prior to putting them down on paper. Then, form cogent sentences, which turn into paragraphs properly written. Then apply to the CAF. Oh and NEVER assume anything with us!

BinRat55 said:
Try to gather your thoughts in your head prior to putting them down on paper. Then, form cogent sentences, which turn into paragraphs properly written. Then apply to the CAF. Oh and NEVER assume anything with us!

And REREAD those thoughts put to paper before you hit POST.    >:D

No, medics are medics. They can be attached to a recce party but if you want to be an operator, you must apply to be that position. You won't be a medic operator, just doesn't work like that. If you are an operator, you will be trained to do the operator position after you pass the CSOR selection process. But that being said, you can be posted to CSOR as a medic as they have medics who are posted there as well. Just like they have clerks and other support trades posted to that unit.

Like everyone else said, if you want to join the CF, make a career out of it. Don't just join for a few years and then go on to complete your MD. I personally, wouldn't waste their time if that is your long-time career goal. I would focus on becoming the best Dr that you can be and then maybe join the CF as a Physician, or scrap the idea of becoming a physician and join the CF Reg Force as a medic and enjoy the trade. I know lot's of medics and they all love it.

ithomasleejr said:

You have to really decide what you want to do. Do you want to be a medic and be a close supporter to provide front line medicine to SF Ops, maybe even following them in on operations, or do you want to be a SF Op with some limited tactical combat medical training and kick doors in for a living? Also be very careful with using SF Op as a stepping stone in your career. I highly doubt CANSOF wants individuals who are not 100% dedicated to their craft of being a SF Op. You may also not just be able to revert back to being a medic after, I have no idea how their skill-fade works, but in Sigs its typically 5 years, and you'd have to redo all the training. You also may not be allowed to just OT out of SF Op, I'm sure that trade is subject to the same OUTCAPs as all other trades in the CAF.

Leeworthy said:
Like everyone else said, if you want to join the CF, make a career out of it.

Nothing wrong by completing your VIE then getting out.  Not everybody wants to make a career out of it nor would it be healthy for the organization.

Leeworthy said:
Don't just join for a few years and then go on to complete your MD. I personally, wouldn't waste their time if that is your long-time career goal. I would focus on becoming the best Dr that you can be and then maybe join the CF as a Physician, or scrap the idea of becoming a physician and join the CF Reg Force as a medic and enjoy the trade. I know lot's of medics and they all love it.

There are avenues in the CF to change trade and to complete a MD.  You don't waste anybody's time by using processes in place to change trades/pursue higher education.  In fact, the CF will benefit by using your gaind knowledge/expertise for a couple of other years (with obligatory service).

PuckChaser said:
You have to really decide what you want to do. Do you want to be a medic and be a close supporter to provide front line medicine to SF Ops, maybe even following them in on operations, or do you want to be a SF Op with some limited tactical combat medical training and kick doors in for a living? Also be very careful with using SF Op as a stepping stone in your career. I highly doubt CANSOF wants individuals who are not 100% dedicated to their craft of being a SF Op. You may also not just be able to revert back to being a medic after, I have no idea how their skill-fade works, but in Sigs its typically 5 years, and you'd have to redo all the training. You also may not be allowed to just OT out of SF Op, I'm sure that trade is subject to the same OUTCAPs as all other trades in the CAF.

To be honest, If all works out, I may take this path and try to make a career out of it. But you're right, I really should have narrowed my selection down a bit. However, you did point towards the right direction. I am interested in the "direct action" position, in other words, kick in doors and get the job done but to also have some medical usefulness with the team. whether it's to help aid a fellow operator or whatever needs be.

The entire MD part of my life is a hit or miss, If I make it as a Doctor, I might as well join CF reg and take on a role as an physician. But if not, I want to push hard and give it all I got in another career path, hence CSOR or JTF2. I know prior to SF there are lots of qualifications such as my trade training security clearances, pre-selection, etc. The question is, referring back to my narrowed down career goal as a Operator with some tactical medical training. what should I start of trade as? Infantry or medical technician?

I'm sure you'll get combat first aid training as a SF Op, likely more indepth than what the regular army provides, but effective none-the-less.

Do you have the prereqs for med tech? If not, scratch that off the list right away. It really doesn't matter what trade you pick if you want to move towards SF Op, all the recruiting stuff I've seen points to individuals from many backgrounds. I knew a ACISS-CST who was selected for Assaulter. Your base trade really has no bearing, otherwise they'd be recruiting from a super small pool.

Pick something you want to do as a career, not because its going to get you an easier way to your goal. They is a high failure rate, and if you pick something with the intent to only do the bare minimum, you may find yourself sadly disappointed with where you are.

PuckChaser said:
I'm sure you'll get combat first aid training as a SF Op, likely more indepth than what the regular army provides, but effective none-the-less.

Do you have the prereqs for med tech? If not, scratch that off the list right away. It really doesn't matter what trade you pick if you want to move towards SF Op, all the recruiting stuff I've seen points to individuals from many backgrounds. I knew a ACISS-CST who was selected for Assaulter. Your base trade really has no bearing, otherwise they'd be recruiting from a super small pool.

Pick something you want to do as a career, not because its going to get you an easier way to your goal. They is a high failure rate, and if you pick something with the intent to only do the bare minimum, you may find yourself sadly disappointed with where you are.

First off, thanks for really narrowing down everything and answering the question I've been trying to find answers to. On that note, I guess either infantry or Medical technician will be on my list. Correct me if I'm wrong, once you're selected into SF they basically just train you from scratch. for example. if I were MedTech and they accept me as an assaulter, they'd train me for everything? I'd assume so, I almost feel stupid for asking that. I was just a little confused, worrying about needing strict infantry background in order to becoming an assaulter. but If I can become an assaulter from med tech, that should be fine.

Thank you, I really appreciate the information

SF Op is a trade on its own, so by completing selection (and being offered a spot on course), you've completed an OT and will go on course. I have no idea what happens if you fail the SF Op course, I doubt its any easier than selection, or else they wouldn't have the reputation they do. The CAF likes to set people up for success, so as with any course I'm sure they teach people whats required of them. It'd be up to you to meet the standards.

Be careful with referring to Assaulter. That's a JTF2 Assaulter and completely different ball of wax.

PuckChaser said:
SF Op is a trade on its own, so by completing selection (and being offered a spot on course), you've completed an OT and will go on course. I have no idea what happens if you fail the SF Op course, I doubt its any easier than selection, or else they wouldn't have the reputation they do. The CAF likes to set people up for success, so as with any course I'm sure they teach people whats required of them. It'd be up to you to meet the standards.

Be careful with referring to Assaulter. That's a JTF2 Assaulter and completely different ball of wax.

Understood, how would the application process change if I were to consider JTF2 as well. I'm purely asking so I can build some options. But, thank you so much for breaking down the process of CSOR and SF in general.

Nothing about SOF changes your application process. We do not recruit directly into the SF in Canada like the US has done in the past.

Back