• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I was wondering if some one can give me feedback on parnetal leave good or back

molson949

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello all,

This is a great site and I love rockin the boat, I do have another ? for personal that use this service or knows any pros and cons about pernatal leave??

I am not looking to take alot of time off just maybe two or three months good or bad??

I am also going on a leadership course and was wondering if I pass if this will  F(*& anything up if i pass and take time off?

I chcek out QR&O 16.27,9.09 AND HAVE a copy of the form DND 2268

IS THERE any thing esle I need to know I guess I looking for the pros and cons from personal that used this service or choice not to go that route?? My wife works full time in a great job ?? If there is anything I am forgetting I would love to heard all comments are welcome  and if you have any other links that maybe helpful to me or other troops please pass them on and I will do my best to forward them

Thanks and

Cheers
Molson949
EDMONTON

Hey molson,

I'm currently on my pat leave. Actually I started Apr 17th. I decided to take the full 9 months off since my wife is self employed and is not eligible for EI. So far its great, get the hair/beard growing and enjoying precious time with my son.
The paperwork is not that complicated, your OR should help you out. Your paycheck is half dnd and other half IE. I haven't received my first paycheck yet because you have a 2 weeks waiting period. They (the OR) told me that you don't pay as much taxes so be prepaired to pay lots of income tax next year. Also, depending how many months you take, you do not pay pension. That mean that you will need to reimburse your pension once your pat leave completed.
Once you're on paternity leave, you're practically not existent so you might lose opportunities that should have come to you.

Anyway if you have more questions about admin let me know.

cheers

Hubby took pat leave when our daughter was born, well, three months later after he finished Ph 3. There was 9 months waiting time between Ph 3 and Ph 4 so he took six in Pat leave. He did ask the OR to continue his pension contributions and also to continue to take the full amount of taxes out of him...as a result he didn't get a huge amount of the DND portion of pay (it meant that combined with EI he got approx 75-80% of his regular pay) but it also meant he didn't have to pay back his pension or pay into income taxes at the end of the year. In fact he still got a return cus he over paid.

Another friend of ours took pat leave this past tax year and didn't ask the OR to take the extra deductions off. As a result they had a hard time paying back the pension and he had to pay into income tax this year.

All in all, our pat leave experience was very good. If we were to have more kids (which we aren't) hubby would take the leave, no questions asked. There is really nothing to compare with a few months of quality bonding time with your children. And the peace of mind knowing that you aren't gonna be sent on course or out to the field/sea during that time makes you walk lighter while you do the laundry and change the diapers.  ;)

Cheers,

CAW

CdnArtyWife said:
He did ask the OR to continue his pension contributions and also to continue to take the full amount of taxes out of him...as a result he didn't get a huge amount of the DND portion of pay (it meant that combined with EI he got approx 75-80% of his regular pay) but it also meant he didn't have to pay back his pension or pay into income taxes at the end of the year. In fact he still got a return cus he over paid.

The method in which he continued to pay pension was by the OR withholding a certain amount of money on his pay guide until the deductions started when he was back. Reason is that the OR's do not have the ability to effectively affect anything to the pension itself, rather it is system generated in accordance with fiscal regulations. Unfortunately this practice is no longer authorized as only pers deployed on ship or overseas are authorized to accumulate credit balances. Therefore those proceeding on Pat/Mat Leave should be advised to save those funds in anticipation of their return when they return to work they can deposit the money on their pay guide if they wish to offset the pension clawback.

For taxes a person can easily complete a TD1 form to actually pay extra taxes to prevent any debt come year end. These can be completed and actioned by your OR's.

P2 Fin Clerk

It would help if all base/wing/ship pay clerks made pers aware of all the implications prior to a mbr taking parental. I have seen both sides of the coin where mbrs were well advised and where they werent. I've seen guys get 200 back in taxes or owe up to 5000 this is at the LS rank level, depending on what they are told at the OR/Ships office. Would it not behoove the RMS community to help mbrs make informed decisions rather than simply do the paperwork and fire them out the door?

But back to the original question I highly reccomend a money market account or GIC, that way when you come back off lve you can simply dump it against your pension and have the rest for taxes when they come, it hurts less at tax time when it happens.

ArtyNewbie said:
P2 Fin Clerk

It would help if all base/wing/ship pay clerks made pers aware of all the implications prior to a mbr taking parental. I have seen both sides of the coin where mbrs were well advised and where they werent. I've seen guys get 200 back in taxes or owe up to 5000 this is at the LS rank level, depending on what they are told at the OR/Ships office. Would it not behoove the RMS community to help mbrs make informed decisions rather than simply do the paperwork and fire them out the door?

But back to the original question I highly reccomend a money market account or GIC, that way when you come back off lve you can simply dump it against your pension and have the rest for taxes when they come, it hurts less at tax time when it happens.

ArtyNewbie:

You have a valid point regarding informing the troops. 

On the flip side, however, it would also help if the concerned soldier/sailor/airman LISTENED to what he is being told, and READ whatever literature he may be presented (including reading CANFORGENS and Routine Orders - wherein much of this type of information is promulgated).

Roy

ArtyNewbie, you are absolutely correct that all mbrs should be adequately informed of repercussions and possible avenues they can seek to alleviate them. I will also be the first to admit that the level of service provided by the RMS community is very far from being uniform (no pun intended). The causes of such disparities is long and subjective in the least, but will try to sum it to offer some appreciation.

First note that the MATA/PATA field has very high volumes of data where a person would need significant time to attain. Since the amalgamation the volume of knowledge for any RMS Clerk has become so broad that clerks generally no longer have the ability to truly become experts in any specific field. Rather all they attain is a general knowledge of each process and how complete each one with the proper procedures. Without having in depth knowledge, or having another clerk there to pass it on, such knowledge is lost at the customers expense. Combine this with the high level of attrition, the RMS field is left with very few very knowledgeable Cpl/MCpl's. Some places have hired civilians to fill this void, and those that I have witnessed only have their pay cheque in mind, not the customer. All those combined makes for junior RMS's with limited knowledge relying solely on an SOP to ensure that all the forms are filled out properly, etc, and not the misc knowledge such as mentioned in this thread.

As many will say, it is the supervisor's who are responsible to pass their knowledge down, and I wholeheartedly agree with them. However I have to admit that although I attempt to seize every opportunity, many of my peers either are left with little time to do so or simply have no interest.  As well note that many junior supervisors (MCpl/MS) have little time in trade and they themselves may not have the knowledge. Senior MCpl/MS's may have never worked in a Pay/Records section and may themselves not have this knowledge. In short, the RMS community is currently in a world of hurt stemming, in my opinion, from the amalgamation as the initial trigger. As is for other things, it does roll downhill.

Edited for grammar.

I have to agree with you, amalgamation has watered down many trades admin/fin not alone. and I agree that forcing down cross training and experience is difficult, especially in a fast moving trade (no choice due to attrition) I meant no mailice towards the trade some of my best friends are clerks, and of course the civi's (for the most part) will put in only what is required to obtain a pay cheque. It is a viscious circle. I guess the best any of us can do is pass on our knowledge and help those we can the best we can.

Back