• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

In The Service???

Nomadfl

Inactive
Reaction score
How do you tell, or can you find out if someone is BS'ing about their former service. I had a neighbour years ago who claimed he was a Korean Vet (2 ribbons) As I had joined the CA (R) in Dec 52, and he wasn't in the forces then. A couple of years later I saw him in the local Miltia wearing the Korean decorations. My sister who joined the RCAF in 1954 dosen't remember this person joining the Army, as we lived almost actross the street from this person. I noticed this information about his (so-called) former service when he passed away, and a notice was in the newspaper stating he was a Korean Vet, and a member Korean Vet's Assc.

Question...is there anyway a person can get his (service) verified? I can't, or we should not allow people to be wannabees and wear un-earned decorations

The guy is dead, so it probably doesn't matter anymore.  However, if you know what unit he claimed to have served in, their regimental archives may be able to assist.

Relatives of deceased service personnel can request service files from Ottawa, but a service number is helpful, especially if his name was John Smith.  I'm not sure you HAVE to be a relative if they have been deceased "x" number of years; I got the service record of Michael Dorosh, KIA in 1944 with the RCR, despite not being a relative.  (You can see the interest I might have had based on his name, though).

There may be some genealogy services out there willing to assist you, but it will cost money. 

Good luck.

Back