• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Israel Does A Changeup

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
Israel Does A Changeup

October 2, 2010: Israel  is reorganizing its infantry battalions to take advantage of new technology and the experience of their American allies in Iraq and Afghanistan. Each battalion will get an extra platoon, for the snipers with heavier rifles, and to handle the ATVs (all terrain vehicles) to quickly move supplies and weapons around the battlefield. There are also new tools for getting through doors. The U.S. pioneered some of this stuff in Iraq, where reservists who were firemen, brought some of the special tools they had developed over the years to smash through doors and walls to fight fires. Israel has developed some new equipment in this area, including special explosives for breaching doors and walls.

Infantry battalions now have more snipers, something the U.S. found very useful in Iraq and Afghanistan. There are now some explosives experts added to the infantry battalions, Normally, these experts are only available from combat engineer battalions. But the Israelis noted that these explosives engineers were constantly in demand by the infantry, so now some of these experts are permanently a part of each infantry battalion.

One of the new weapons added to each battalion is the heavier HTR 2000 8.6mm sniper rifles. Using the Lapua Magnum cartridge, that was pioneered by several European armies, it provides longer range (up to 1,500 meters) without the weight and size of a 12.7mm rifle.

The Israelis have added several other new equipment items, as well as minor tweaks to battalion organization and tactics.

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htinf/articles/20101002.aspx

daftandbarmy said:
There are now some explosives experts added to the infantry battalions, Normally, these experts are only available from combat engineer battalions. But the Israelis noted that these explosives engineers were constantly in demand by the infantry, so now some of these experts are permanently a part of each infantry battalion.

First you give 'em pioneers.  Next thing you know they'll be wanting mortars too!

First you give 'em pioneers.  Next thing you know they'll be wanting mortars too!

Took the words right out of my mouth. Amazing how the idea of having infantry soldiers trained to use special tools and explosives is suddenly "new".

Cheers

I am just a civy so I really do not know anything about this stuff ,  but is it  better to have a infantry battalion equipped that way ? In my thinking it does but like I stated I really do not now anything about this stuff .

karl28 said:
I am just a civy so I really do not know anything about this stuff ,  but is it  better to have a infantry battalion equipped that way ? In my thinking it does but like I stated I really do not now anything about this stuff .

How can it be bad to make a battalion a little more self sufficient and an added capability?

pbi said:
Took the words right out of my mouth. Amazing how the idea of having infantry soldiers trained to use special tools and explosives is suddenly "new".

Cheers

:rofl:

Ex-Dragoon
              That's a good way to look at it . I never thought of it through that point of view thanks for the input .

karl28:

[quoteI am just a civy so I really do not know anything about this stuff ,  but is it  better to have a infantry battalion equipped that way ? In my thinking it does but like I stated I really do not now anything about this stuff . ][/quote]

When Canadian infantry battalions had a pioneer platoon as part of their organization (actually up until a few years ago, when they were cut for institutional, rather than operational, reasons), there were several important benefits:

-If properly trained, manned, equipped and employed, the Assault Pioneer Platoon gave the CO a great capability. With training very similar (in some cases identical to...) combat engineers, the platoon could be employed as a complete platoon (about thirty soldiers) or broken down into smaller sections for dispersed tasks. Pioneers could build all sorts of things, work with mines and explosives, booby traps and battlefield obstacles. They could breach enemy defensive constructions, help the infantry companies build better defensive positions, build field living accomodations, etc. They were also completely capable of fighting as infantry soldiers. This meant that the unit did not have to rely on combat engineers who were always in short supply, high demand, and controlled by a higher level who might take them away at any time;

-as NCOs and soldiers left Assault Pioneer Platoon and went back to the rifle companies or elsewhere in the battalion, they brought their pioneer skills with them. So, even if a company did not receive a section of pioneers attached to it for operations, it likely had a number of soldiers in it with those skills;  and

-by serving a tour in Assault Pioneer Platoon, NCOs (and a few officers) received an important broadening of their infantry technical skills and a better understanding of how the battalion operated.

Although we lost all of these great things when the decision was made to get rid of the pioneer platoons, the importance of the loss has been recognized and there is a gradual move back to re-establishing a pioneer capability in our battalions.

Cheers

pbi said:

Cheers

Amen brother!!!!!

pbi said:
karl28:

[quoteI am just a civy so I really do not know anything about this stuff ,  but is it  better to have a infantry battalion equipped that way ? In my thinking it does but like I stated I really do not now anything about this stuff . ]

When Canadian infantry battalions had a pioneer platoon as part of their organization (actually up until a few years ago, when they were cut for institutional, rather than operational, reasons), there were several important benefits:

-If properly trained, manned, equipped and employed, the Assault Pioneer Platoon gave the CO a great capability. With training very similar (in some cases identical to...) combat engineers, the platoon could be employed as a complete platoon (about thirty soldiers) or broken down into smaller sections for dispersed tasks. Pioneers could build all sorts of things, work with mines and explosives, booby traps and battlefield obstacles. They could breach enemy defensive constructions, help the infantry companies build better defensive positions, build field living accomodations, etc. They were also completely capable of fighting as infantry soldiers. This meant that the unit did not have to rely on combat engineers who were always in short supply, high demand, and controlled by a higher level who might take them away at any time;

-as NCOs and soldiers left Assault Pioneer Platoon and went back to the rifle companies or elsewhere in the battalion, they brought their pioneer skills with them. So, even if a company did not receive a section of pioneers attached to it for operations, it likely had a number of soldiers in it with those skills;  and

-by serving a tour in Assault Pioneer Platoon, NCOs (and a few officers) received an important broadening of their infantry technical skills and a better understanding of how the battalion operated.

Although we lost all of these great things when the decision was made to get rid of the pioneer platoons, the importance of the loss has been recognized and there is a gradual move back to re-establishing a pioneer capability in our battalions.

Cheers

We had an 'Assault Engineer' troop in 45 Cdo which, when deployed to NI was re-roled as a search team for 'low risk' searches. The RE Search Teams were usually deployed on high risk searches, and didn't have enough time to handle other types of searching.

Our guys found more explosives and weapons than any police search team in the same TAOR, largely due to their discipline, planning and thorough execution. Bombs, bullets and bang sticks: they found tons of them. Consequently, they were much in demand for most 'sure thing' type search ops and were deployed across the TAOR on a regular basis. Infantry battalion pioneer platoons were similarly tasked.

There's obviously also a  role for these types of organizations in COIN too.

Thanks for the info every one and sorry on my behalf for the late reply . I have been busy getting extra hours at work and that is always a good thing  ;D    ( thought that I would fix that one up a bit LOL )

karl28 said:
Thanks for the info every one and sorry on my behalf for the late reply . I have been busy getting extra hours at work witch is always a good thing  ;D

You're a witch? ;D

Back