• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

James Arness (aka Matt Dillon), 1923-2011

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Only just spotted this on BBC:
James Arness, the actor best known for playing lawman Matt Dillon in long-running western TV show Gunsmoke, has died in Los Angeles at the age of 88.

The star, who played the Dodge City marshal from 1955 to 1975, died from natural causes at his home on Friday.

He also played the title role in sci-fi classic The Thing from Another World.

"I had a wonderful life and was blessed with some many loving people and great friends," he wrote in a letter posted posthumously on his official website.

"I had the privilege of working with so many great actors over the years."

Born James King Aurness in Minneapolis in 1923, Arness was the older brother of Airplane! star Peter Graves.

Drafted into the US Army during his first year in college, he was wounded in the leg during the 1944 invasion at Anzio, Italy and awarded the Purple Heart ....

From his official web page:
Hi friends,

I decided to write a letter to you for Janet to post on our website in the event I was no longer here.

I had a wonderful life and was blessed with some many loving people and great friends. The best part of my life was my family, especially my wife Janet. Many of you met her at Dodge City so you understand what a special person she is.

I wanted to take this time to thank all of you for the many years of being a fan of Gunsmoke, The Thing, How the West Was Won and all the other fun projects I was lucky enough to have been allowed to be a part of. I had the privilege of working with so many great actors over the years.

I was honored to have served in the army for my country. I was at Anzio during WWII and it makes you realize how very precious life is.

Thank you again for all the many letters, cards, emails and gifts we received from you over the years. You are and always have been truly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Jim Arness

R.I.P.

Because he was 6'7" he was ordered first off his landing craft at Anzio to measure the depth!  :salute:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Arness#Military_service_in_World_War_II

Wow I thought he long since passed away...watching him on Gunsmoke when I was a kid was a family tradition at my house.

Thanks for the memories Mr. Arness, R.I.P.

Back