• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining Primary Reserve with Ph.D.

RecorderBuff

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi friends,

I am interested in joining the CAF as an armour officer and have an important question that will help me make my ultimate decision.

I just received a Ph.D. in the Humanities from the University of Toronto and am wondering whether I should pursue an academic career or one in the CAF. I am wondering, what would my entry rank be based on my education and what would the pay scale look like? The answers to these two questions will help me make my decision.

Thank you for your assistance.

All the best,
RB

Hi daftandbarmy,

Thank you for your kind response. The job market for professors these days is extremely competitive but I am trying my best to land a position - basically applying to positions all around the world. I've actually been thinking of joining the reserves and doing scholarship on the side but I want to know if it is sustainable or not. I know that reserve soldiers do not get as much as those on active duty but if I can strike a balance between the CAF and my scholarship, that would be ideal. That is why I am wondering what my entry rank and pay would look like if I were to join with the education that I have. Even if I get a tenured position, I'd like to join the reserves in some capacity, but there are very few tenure-track positions available in this country.

Yours,
RB

Good day RB,

From the information that you have provided within your query it sounds like you’ve got some big choices to make. I will provide you with some answers to your questions about joining the Canadian Armed Forces.

For the Canadian Armed Forces Primary Reserve the occupations that are available vary depending on the Reserve units located in your area. Use the following link to locate the Reserve units in your area.

http://www.forces.ca/en/centres/findarecruiter-110

I have provided a link below that will take you to the pay scales for the Canadian Armed Forces. A prior learning assessment of your qualifications may be conducted during the application process to determine the rank granted upon enrollment.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-pay/pay-rates.page?

For information on life as a member of the Primary Reserves to help you decide if you can further your education while being a member of the primary reserve force I have provided a link to the section of our website that provides this information and videos.

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/careeroptions-123#tab3 

Dear MC Steven,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. I have further questions I'd like to pose to you if you do not mind.

1) I'm getting mixed signals regarding hours in the reserves. On the official CF website, it says that there is a lot of flexibility regarding the number of hours you can serve in a reserve unit but on this forum a couple individuals noted that most people are confined to four evenings and a weekend every month. Which is more accurate? I am really not interested in serving so few hours but at the same time I am not interested in overseas deployments. If there is a way for me to serve here in Canada as an officer in a reserve unit beyond the limited four evenings and a weekend every month, this is something I'd be very interested in. Is there such a possibility?

2) Based on your past experience, has this "learning assessment" of which you speak furthered the rank of a direct entry officer who has a doctorate in the humanities? I just want to get a sense of what is over the horizon. Would I be considered equal to other recruits with bachelors degrees or will my education count for something?

3) If I come in during this month to start the application process, how much time do I have to get back into shape for basic training if my application is successful? Do I have a few months to prepare or is the transition to basic training immediate?

4) Can you please share me a link to a page that describes the differences between regular forces training and reserves training (scheduling, intensity, stages, etc.)?

Thank you!

Yours,
RB

Good day RecorderBuff,

1) Units in the Primary reserve force generally parade one night a week and may have courses or training exercises on a weekend. Once trained in your occupation there may be a reserve employment opportunity in your area whereby you are employed on a full time contarct in the location advertised in that contract.

For Life as a member of the Primary Reserve Force check out:

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/careeroptions-123#tab3 

For the Primary Reserve Pay scale check out Class A and B pay Scale:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-pay/officer-class-a-b-service-rates.page

2) Your rank upon enrollment will be determined by the PLAR during the processing of your application.

3) The length of time from submitting an application to a possible enrollment varies for every applicant. You may read the numerous other threads on processing timelines for further explanation.

4) The differences between Regular force and Reserve force training are most commonly found in the course time table. Regular force courses run from day 1 start of course until graduation. Although some reserve courses must be conducted like this from start to finish which generally takes place over the summer months for the Primary Reserve, there are still a number of courses that can be run on weekends from Friday night until Sunday Evening. Depending on the course would depend on the number of weekends required to complete the course.

Back