• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

JTF2 Expansion

V

van1

I‘ve recently read that JTF2 is expanding their ranks from about 300 operatives to about 600. I‘ve also read that their focus is to lean more towards "green" ops over "black" ops.

I was just wondering what everyone‘s thoughts are on this. By doubling the size and focusing more on green operations is there not a potential for watering down to a more US Ranger-like unit instead of an elite counter-terrorism unit (SAS, SFOD-D, GIGN, etc)? And if this is indeed their objective, wouldn‘t a reactivated Airborne Regiment be better suited to fill this role?

I personally don‘t have a problem with expansion as long as they can avoid the "watering" down aspect. I am guessing here, but I would assume they would continue to rotate through levels of readiness and specialties. You would only need a small group specializing in Black ops at one time.

One issue I see causing a problem is getting that many pers that can meet all the requirements. Even if it’s done over 5 years, 300 new pers is a large number. The JTF2 have set the bar very high. So I wonder if they will have to lower that bar a bit for a while to get their numbers up. I hope not.

Not disbanding the CAR would have been the answer.

Just wondering what is the general size of the SAS or Delta...anyone have an idea?

Where did you get this info? Double? Yes the growth is there but 3 out of 10 make it to the end. We‘ed have to test everone in the forces.

I have to be honest, I am interested in the special operations side of things, but at a point far, far in the future in my potential career in the CF.

The level of danger in the so-called "green ops" as opposed to the "black ops" (storming embassies to rescue hostages, for example) is much greater, and that doesn‘t particularly turn my crank at the moment, especially since I am still doing basic and figuring all this army stuff out. So automatically, I know I am not even close to ready for it.

Hey, if they want to add 300 guys, more power to them. I know I won‘t be one! At least not for a very long time.

On the flip side, I can think of no greater way to offer your service to the CF, than being a member of a highly professional, highly trained small unit that specializes in doing the stuff that no one else will/can/should. I would very much like to make my time in the CF "count" for something, and I hold in high regard anyone who is able to serve in that capacity.

Back