• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kidney Stones

Just so that we all have the same reference point here...

Generally a kidney stone less than 4.5mm will pass by it self, albeit with some degree of pain. Stones between 4.5mm and 7mm will frequently get stuck in the lower part of the ureter, most frequently where it joins the bladder which is the narrowest part of the system. These stones always hurt... a lot. A 10mm (1cm) kidney stone is freaking massive, and will require a ureteric stent and lithotripsy to remove. A 10mm stone in the ureter is not going anywhere without help, and is a urologic emergency.

Stones in the renal pelvis, or the body of the kidney frequently pose no problem, but sometimes migrate to the ureter.

If you are a kidney stone former, then you will likely be refused enrollment. If you are currently enrolled, then the risk matrix applies and you may be retained or released based on the risk you face.

Kidney stones are nothing to mess around with. Renal failure can kill you!

Thanks Mike, you pretty much confirmed everything. Well I tried and sometimes life doesn't go your way.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

GTFX said:
Well I tried and sometimes life doesn't go your way.

Well, let's wait and see. Good luck!

Hey Guys

A few of us were discussing kidney stones today in the Galley while discussing eating healthy and things like high protein diets. I did a bit of research but could only find old posts and stories about CAF member with kidney stones. I seen examples of people being released and some people having no effect on their career or ability to deploy. I also seen that the policy back in 2000 was release after two or more cases of them. It seems that the policy of this is either constantly changing. Does anyone know what the current policy in 2018 is for such a thing?

People are allowed to re-apply if they go five years without a stone, but at the same time they can release you or change your geographic category because its over a 50% chance of reoccurring within 10 years. Seems redundant to hire someone who has been five years clean when they still have a 5 year windows with now an even greater risk of it happening.

At the same time, about 20% of people will have a stone in their lives, seems like a lot of military personnel to lose over the mere chance of it MAYBE happening again. The likelihood of a kidney stone seems on par with a infinite number of things that can happen to a solder/sailor to make them temporarily unable to serve (broken bones, sprains, non permanent illness etc)

Thanks

Gcnav said:
At the same time, about 20% of people will have a stone in their lives, seems like a lot of military personnel to lose over the mere chance of it MAYBE happening again. The likelihood of a kidney stone seems on par with a infinite number of things that can happen to a solder/sailor to make them temporarily unable to serve (broken bones, sprains, non permanent illness etc)

It's been a few decades since I had to look at the statistical incidence of  kidney stones in the population served by Canadian military health providers (it had to do with analyzing whether to get an U/S lithotripter for NDMC).  If I remember correctly it was a statistically insignificant number; at least not enough to justify the expensive equipment.  While the incidence of kidney stones in the general population may be 5% to 10% that doesn't necessarily directly transfer in the same percentage to the Canadian Forces population, so it's "not a lot".  With a generally young, healthy population there are not as many individuals who present with the same risk factors as in the general population.

In one study of CF personnel deployed to Afghanistan between Feb. 7, 2006, and June 30, 2011 who required treatment for a nontraumatic general surgical condition, renal colic (kidney stones) was identified as the most common condition.

http://canjsurg.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/58-3-S78.pdf  (go to page S135)
Methods: We studied all Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) members deployed to
Afghanistan between Feb. 7, 2006, and June 30, 2011, who required treatment for a
nontraumatic general surgical condition.

Results: During the study period 28 990 CAF personnel deployed to Afghanistan;
373 (1.28%) were repatriated because of disease and 100 (0.34%) developed an acute
general surgical condition. Among those who developed an acute surgical illness,
42 were combat personnel (42%) and 58 were support personnel (58%).  Urologic
diagnoses (n = 34) were the most frequent acute surgical conditions, followed by
acute appendicitis (n = 18) and hernias (n = 12). We identified 5 areas where intensified
predeployment screening could have potentially decreased the incidence of in-theatre
acute surgical illness.

. . . Urologic diagnoses (n = 34) were most frequent, including renal colic (n = 24), . . .

. . . None of the patients with renal colic previously had
documented attacks in Canada. The development of renal
colic on deployment may be linked to the heat, the physical
exertion required of soldiers and dehydration. . . .

thanks for the link, its an interesting read. So were these members released after? or considered unable to deploy again?

is the policy for release or being undeployable still after two or more attacks?

In 2003 my Sgt had them while in Afghanistan.  After clearing it up there (he finished the tour) he did get them again for a number of years.  He ended up passing away in 2013, but was still serving at the time.

(Edit to correct some info)

Things may have changed since I released in 2015, but at the time one of the MOs told me that they would not release serving members for kidney stones and that they would not consider new applicants who had a history of them.  I have no idea whether the "five years" since an episode was stipulated or not.

PMedMoe said:
Things may have changed since I released in 2015, but at the time one of the MOs told me that they would not release serving members for kidney stones and that they would not consider new applicants who had a history of them.  I have no idea whether the "five years" since an episode was stipulated or not.

For reference to the discussion,

Turned down for medical reasons - Can I reapply?
https://army.ca/forums/threads/86542/post-846945.html#msg846945
OP: "I applied last year to the regular forces and was turned down for medical reasons, because of kidney stones. Does that mean I will never be allowed in or can I try again?"

Back