• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Loachman's Next Airframe

Michael OLeary

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Donor
Inactive
Reaction score
Fly another day: The James Bond inspired 'microcopter' that will come in packs of three

article-1177408-04CC62A8000005DC-144_468x313.jpg

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 2:58 PM on 05th May 2009

It is the size of a cigarette packet and it could provide soldiers of the future with battleground intelligence at the flick of a joy stick.

The PD-100 Black Hornet 'nanocopter' is a long way from the remote control whirlybirds favoured by anorak-wearing model aeroplane enthusiasts.

They do not accelerate and decelerate like normal helicopters and, worst of all, they cannot hover.

The world's tiniest helicopter has been specially developed for spies and soldiers

Engineers behind the Black Hornet have developed a miniscule aircraft that will do all of those things, thanks to the 'smallest and lightest control servos in the world'.

Weighing in at just 0.5g, the tiny servos mean the PD-100 is even smaller than a toy battery helicopter.

Powered by an electric motor, the microcopter has 4in rotor blades, carries a tiny digital camera and flies at speeds of up to 20mph.

It has been tested successfully inside and outside in very light winds.
Enlarge  helicopter

The microcopter has been tested successfully outside

'The helicopter can be carried in a pocket and launched within seconds to give immediate situational awareness,' said Petter Muren, boss of manufacturers Prox Dynamics.

'It will be valuable in situations where a closer look at a hostile area or inside a contaminated building is crucial.

'We will be making military and civilian versions of the Black Hornet but it will be sold only to governments and their agencies.'

If anything were to happen to the aircraft whether due to flat batteries, a crash or even a rolled-up newspaper, no matter - several cheap replacements could easily be carried.

The standard package will come with three aircraft, a pocket controller and a charger.

See video and photos at link.

Hah.

While small is generally better for helicopters, there is, of course, a limit.

If I can't strap it on, I'm not terribly interested. Something that seats two - an Observer or a date - is about right.

I've had enough of non-rideable aircraft, rotary- or seized-wing, to last a lifetime thank you very much.

Still checking the Toronto surplus stores for an old Kiowa?    ;)

There might still be some in Mountainview.

Journeyman, you beat me to it...

/Looks for Vern in 3..2....1....

Loachman said:

There's one in Kingston, just have to take it off the pesky concrete pedestal its on! I think it even comes with a co-pilot mannequin so you can fly in the carpool lane.

Loachman said:

Best I could do for you. It might need a new paint job

http://www.controller.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=1152361

And only $345,000, isn't that just spare change on a pilot's salary?  >:D

Michael O'Leary said:
And only $345,000, isn't that just spare change on a pilot's salary?  >:D

Yes us grunts may have to settled for something a little more austere

http://www.aerotrader.com/find/listing/1961-hiller-aircraft-corp-h23+d-95057058

Only flown on weekends by a little old lady to church 46K obo

Fair number of classics on that site. I should se if my Legion branch wants one of the Hueys for the roof instead of the 105 for the front lawn.

http://www.globalplanesearch.com/view/all/AllHEMI.htm

There are a couple there.  And some CF-5B's.  And a pile of old T-Birds, including one in a really slick black paint scheme.  A couple of them have US civilian registration numbers on them, wondering if they've been sold.  The Kiowas at MV look in pretty rough shape though.  I'd go with the Kingston one probably.

Loachman said:

Back