• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Logistics Cap Badge

I think I know who you're talking about as well.  He was at Fleet School when I arrived in Halifax.  He was promoted to MWO, wore an Air Force uniform, but they still called him "Chief."

Pusser said:
I think I know who you're talking about as well.  He was at Fleet School when I arrived in Halifax.  He was promoted to MWO, wore an Air Force uniform, but they still called him "Chief."

Yep, that's him...and I still can't remember his name.  METOC in the dockyard was his stomping grounds...I've sent an e-mail to a old Met Tech friend of mine to solve the puzzle.

Necrothread Revival (I know sounds like a modern EMO band's name eh ? lol)

After looking through the Log Branch website dpaterson provided me.  I had to raise this issue again.  I think we, as Loggies, need to make this issue felt up the Log Food chain. 

The MWO/CPO2 and below need a new and better quality capbadge.  This shouldn't take mountains to move...  Any Snr Log pers reading this (Pusser, Armyvern I'm looking at you ;) ) please push this!

You have to give something other than "We need a new badge".
What design, who decides the final approval, how long to get it to the troops, what's the cost? All questions that need answering before you even go to design.

Put something together that fits that criteria and we can take the suggestion as an ongoing wish.

recceguy said:
You have to give something other than "We need a new badge".
What design, who decides the final approval, how long to get it to the troops, what's the cost? All questions that need answering before you even go to design.

Put something together that fits that criteria and we can take the suggestion as an ongoing wish.

I think the crest itself is fine but a better quality of make would be appreciated.  Why not make the crossed paperclips metal ? 

http://www.canex.ca/military/military-kit-shops/logistics-branch/composite-badge.html

The problem with that composit badge is it isn't the authorized Log badge, at least from the quick research I did. The scroll that says Logistics/Logistique needs to be gold not blue. I'm not sure where the badge on the Canex website would be authorized for wear.

captloadie said:
The problem with that composit badge is it isn't the authorized Log badge, at least from the quick research I did. The scroll that says Logistics/Logistique needs to be gold not blue. I'm not sure where the badge on the Canex website would be authorized for wear.

Just looked at the one one my beret and it design and color scheme is the same as the canex one...

captloadie said:

Notwithstanding that little anomaly, the badge sold by Canex (i.e. the one on the website) has been sold and worn for at least the last 26 years (i.e. the date I started wearing it).  However, it's only authorized for CPO1/CWO and above (actually, it's expected).  CPO2/MWO and below are only allowed the cheap cloth piece of crap or the metal badge.

On a similar note, the approved MAROPS badge has a gold anchor, yet when we switched to the DEU, the powers that be insisted that the anchor on the cap badge had to be silver (as it was on the RCN 1.0 badge).  So the new issued MAROPS badges were made with silver anchors, notwithstanding that the approved badge (i.e. the one with Her Majesty's signature) has never been changed.

The Dress Manual actually addresses "bullion" badges being procured at personal expense.  Yes, it's allowed and in some circles, expected.

Actually Pusser, what you say is the very reason I absolutely refused to change my cap badge to the day I retired: Kept the gold anchor and whenever someone tried to give me a hard time about it, I referred them to the officially approved design. That shut them up.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Actually Pusser, what you say is the very reason I absolutely refused to change my cap badge to the day I retired: Kept the gold anchor and whenever someone tried to give me a hard time about it, I referred them to the officially approved design. That shut them up.

Although the issued Naval Ops badge is significantly better than the issued Logistics piece of crap, it is still not suitable in my book.  There are much nicer ones (with silver anchors now) available from Canex, but attitudes have changed over the years.  When I started at VENTURE, the XO made it clear that the issued badge was "acceptable," but "real" naval officers wore the Canex version (which had a gold anchor at that time, but eventually switched to silver).  Naval officers have gotten even cheaper over time (as if that was even possible) and many now flatly refuse to invest in anything nicer (some even refuse to buy mess dress, but that's another topic).

Slightly off topic, but I believe all personnel in naval uniforms should be wearing what we now call the Naval Ops badge.  Such was the pre-unification RCN tradition.  Prior to unification, only the Army had separate badges for regiments/corps/colonels and above.  Notwithstanding that we've gone back to traditional officer rank badges, we continue to stick to the Army approach to cap badges, even for Army colonels and GOFOs.  Since we're in retro mode...

26 years in the Log Branch, 21 of them wearing the cloth badge except on the forage cap.  The cloth badge doesn't fall out, isn't a sparking hazard, can be cleaned easily, and if it is too grubby it is cheap to replace (free for the wearer in fact).  I now wear a cap badge whose loss will have a significant impact on my weekly coffee fund. 

Why would this be an issue?

Pusser said:
Slightly off topic, but I believe all personnel in naval uniforms should be wearing what we now call the Naval Ops badge.  Such was the pre-unification RCN tradition.  Prior to unification, only the Army had separate badges for regiments/corps/colonels and above.  Notwithstanding that we've gone back to traditional officer rank badges, we continue to stick to the Army approach to cap badges, even for Army colonels and GOFOs.  Since we're in retro mode...

The cloth cap badge I wore (with gold anchor) was the Canex one. Their first attempt at a good looking one with silver anchor was a disaster, and the "suggestion" that we got from the chain of command at the time was to paint our anchors silver using plastic model paint: It looked awful.

As to your off topic suggestion, if you mean that all officer wearing DEU should wear the current "mars" cap badge, that all C&PO's wear the PO2 and above "hard sea" trade cap badge and all seamen wear the MS and below "hard sea" trade cap badge regardless , and that their trade (cook, log O, admin, storesman, etc.) or occupation be denoted by a good looking and wisely positioned badge of some sort on their DEU's, I fully agree.

One Navy, always - trade second. 

captloadie said:

It is authorized to people specifically in a certain bracket for the navy only...it used to be included in a document on the LBI (Logistics Branch Integrator) sharepoint site where there was an authorized dress list giving details on logistics mess kit and other dress items including said cap badge...I went to look it up to show for your comment and apparently the LBI sharepoint is no longer there../  :(

AmmoTech90 said:
26 years in the Log Branch, 21 of them wearing the cloth badge except on the forage cap.  The cloth badge doesn't fall out, isn't a sparking hazard, can be cleaned easily, and if it is too grubby it is cheap to replace (free for the wearer in fact).  I now wear a cap badge whose loss will have a significant impact on my weekly coffee fund. 

Why would this be an issue?

The currently issued cloth Log cap badge is an embarrassing piece of crap.  I'm not saying there shouldn't be an issued cloth badge that addresses all your concerns.  What I'm saying is that the current one needs to be replaced.  Every other branch has an issued cloth badge that is of considerably higher quality than the Log one.  In fact, they all seem to be manufactured to the same standard as well.  Why was the Log Branch left out of this?  What was the LCMM thinking?

PS:  I have worn a composite badge for 26 years - still looks good - not a bad investment at all.

Pusser said:
In my view, trade badges address the Branch identity issue.  Trade badges plus a Branch cap badge are actually redundant.  Unfortunately, the Log Branch apparently doesn't believe one can have pride in both one's branch and one's service.

Again I agree with you.  It seems you have riled up some of the natives Pusser.  The usual crowd ;)

I digress, lets work on getting a better made and looking cap badge for the MWO/CPO2 and below then we can start a 5th column and move to reinstate the anchor for the Naval folks. 

Back